Why replay?

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor
I’m not entirely sure where to put this thread. Anyway, I was wondering, why do people replay a game?

For me, three main reasons and some of my examples:
(1) to explore different paths & choices (e.g. DEUS EX:MD)
(2) comfort gaming, I.e. play something I know very well and like almost as relaxation/therapy (e.g. Mass Effect 2)
(3) I particularly like the game and to re-experience it (Witcher 3)

Thoughts? Ideas?

If you replay, why?

Some of my reasons
-To try different character builds. ie a rogue build then maybe a wizard one.
-To experience different story paths.
-Because there is nothing better to play at the moment.
-Because I like making different characters and giving them a unique viewpoint onto the world to guide their actions. (If the game allows) ie fallout games, baldurs gate etc

In Quest for Glory games there were different puzzle solutions and unique content for different classes. That made replaying quite cool and essential to fully experiencing the game.

I replay game:
-to experience content I missed in first play through (side quests, different party composition, to get different ending etc)
-to try out different builds/classes
-because I like re-experiencing things I enjoy

I think replaying to experience different build/story path is going to be quite common, it is the base of game replayability.

Outside of that, I replay games because I liked them a lot, it's been long enough since I last played them so I forgot most of them and I got the time. If I remember too much of the game, I just get bored because I fall into a min/maxing patterns.

I don't replay games, but when I've been tempted it's either to see different side of the story (like the 'dark side' or the 'light side' of Kotor), or when there are lots of class options and I'm curious about how other classes play. Ultimately neither gives me enough motivation to replay.

Except reasons already listed, I've replayed a few games (FO4, MGS5) only to 100% them.

Normally I don't care about it and I don't care about achievements because 99% of games set achievements to silly kill something x time,s grind y times, bang head against the wall z times. It's in my nature to refuse getting these garbage achievements, in fact I'm always trying not to get them and show middlefinger to developers who believe games should be a second job.

But when I miss "complete all sidequests" in the first playthrough... Sometimes I'll return to the game only to find those sidequests. Sometimes. Not always. Depends on a game ofc.

Pretty much the reasons you stated. So much depends on the game though.

Comfort zone
Experience content I missed
Try out new builds and ideas on a character
Install a new mod line-up (if a modded game)
Want to continue playing a favorite character

Replays for me are often simply to relive the experience, and to hit content that I might have missed earlier, as well as using personal that I may have not employed the first time around. I am noticing though, that for the last five to seven years, I'm replaying a lot less games than I used to.

Some games have excellent gameplay and are 'fun' to play even if the story is known. Some games have significant but interesting branching paths. Some times we just like to see if the game was really as good as we thought it was 10 years ago.

I rarely replay a game.

Only to try different character builds that have significantly different gameplay, or different story choices if they have a significant effect on gameplay.

Last game I remember doing this for was Dark Messiah of Might and Magic because of the different gameplay.

Don't really have a need for comfort gaming.

I'd rather play something new most every time I have a choice.

I replay all the time because I have a very specific set of "likes". I'd rather replay MM7, for instance, than play any game that's not first person perspective.

It's like eating food. I love a good hamburger, so I'll eat them more than once in my life. Why not?

Very few games I replay because I typically explore the hell out of a games terrain and simply feel a replay, even with a different character build will not be of benefit. When a game is normally completed in 9 hours, I usually take 18. I'm always way over the hours most gamers take to finish a game. I really do stop and smell (or pick up) the roses when I play a game.

However, in answer to your question there are three games I have replayed to completion numerous times:. Might and Magic 6/7, Gothic 2/3, and Morrowwind.

All there game have similar qualities that make a replay fun:

1) open world
(game play is not on a rail, new adventures are sure to be different. This time I am going through that forest not around the forest . . . lets see what happens . . .)

2) RPG
(different character builds allow new ways to get to your goals)

3) great music
(sometimes just standing in a spectacular landscape with beautiful music in the background can be exhilarating. Great gaming music is just as intoxicating as any billboard top 100)

4) fascination landscapes
(well executed visual design just makes gameplay last longer and more satisfying. I can go to a museum to see a piece over and over, same with a beautiful game)

5) fun
(some games you have so much fun with, some where down the line you want to play it again. In particular if you just played a crappy game and want to re-experience a good game)

Thanks, people! Lots of interesting and sensible points.

I indeed hadn't considered different builds & mods, and I don't tend if ever to do either.

I am clear my like for comfort gaming is due to my health issues (currently incurable chronic pain since 1994) and can easily see that that isn't true for all of us.

A follow-up question if I may, has your replay approach changed over time? And if so, how and any ideas why?

Well I replayed the Witcher games 1 and 2 three times and 3 twice because of all different out comes, parts of the game I never saw before and they are so well made Damm it.

Other games like POE, because I played them on launch date full bugs and wanted to see how they improved on the game and play expansion games if they are released.

Other than that, some games are like a great book and just need to be played again and again. Since there is very few GREAT GAMES made, the ones that are to a person should be played again and again if one feels the need.

A follow-up question if I may, has your replay approach changed over time? And if so, how and any ideas why?

In game play yes but character sadly NO.

I have tried different characters and I love using one I meet along the way. But my main guy is always human warrior using a two handed sword. Has been since 1984ish.

Other than that, some games are like a great book and just need to be played again and again. Since there is very few GREAT GAMES made, the ones that are to a person should be played again and again if one feels the need.

Indeed.

I can never get enough of the sunrise and sunsets in Might and Magic 6/7, or the traveling music when you are in Khorinis in Gothic 2 along with all the people mulling around just minding their business, or the unparalleled visual design in Morrowind, which to my mind has not yet been matched (period). And of course the best way to experience these things in context is to replay the game.

As far as my approach to replay changing over the years, not really. My replay bar is really, really, high. But right now, if I'm playing what I think is a great game, I will just stay in the gaming world a tad longer. A game I am still playing but will not replay when finished . . . Fallout 4 (800 hours), I think I can still get another 200 hours out of that game and all with my original character. However there are game elements in that game that can change your game play.

I think I got about 300 hours in Skyrim. I didn't think I would go back but when I recently found out about Skyrim VR . . . well when I update my rig I will be going back to that Elder Scroll game.

For me it depends on what you mean by replay.
If I 'finish' a game, I will rarely replay it ever.
Similar to Thrasher and Dijjar

If a game has a large scope and I don't 'finish' it I will likely have multiple attempts that far exceed a single 'complete' experience. For example, I've spend a ton of time in Fallout 3 and Fallout NV and never 'finished' it. However I've got scores of attempts under my belt with different builds etc.

If a game offers a 'good' or 'evil' path, I would choose good and never replay it. Bound by Flame comes to mind. I got the 'good' ending and never replayed it regardless of content I might have missed.

I truly prefer doing absolutely everything in a single game on one playthrough so I'm not totally attracted to games where multiple is required. Even in Skyrim I try and replay it with a different build but end up stealth magic user archer every time. One day I'll 'finish' it.

I dont' count games like FTL where 100% of the point is to fail and try again.

Last edited:
I'm similar, in that I try to do everything in a game the first playthrough, so there is no completionist reason to replay it. The downside is that I am usually so tired of the game at the end, that I never bother to get around to playing the DLC (ME series being the exception), much less even entertain the thought of a replay.

My replay has. In the past I did it more often and not only more often but with more characters. Mid-point in my gaming career I started replaying with the same or very similar characters. Now I replay few games but the ones I really love I replay to death … often with the same character. But then those are modded games with post-graphic presets that keep the game fresh.

I should note I was far more of a completionist in my younger days on games like Baldurs Gate and that era. Had to explore and do everything.

Now a days I tend to follow a path set by my character and often I only see a part of a game. Almost the opposite as I dislike feeling obsessed over having to see and do everything and much prefer sticking to my characters personality which often means not doing many things.

Back
Top Bottom