F:NV Best Fallout New Vegas Mods 2011

Fallout: New Vegas
Fantastic list skavenhorde - many thanks for taking the time to put it together. I'll have a good read through the links here and see what takes my fancy.

Two more specific questions if you don't mind - whilst lots of customisable options for slower levelling are good, do you have a particular recommendation? Bear in mind I am the sort of person who will explore the whole map so the game could end up becoming pretty long.

Also a stability question...I don't particuarly like respawning but found in Oblivion if I turned respawns off, the game would eventually crash/have massive savegame bloat because it remembered the location & state of every single dead body. Do you know if the same is true in F:NV?

If XFO's creator had been more active I'd say use his because you can customize it to the way you want. For example you can slow down leveling by x2 or x3 or even increase it, but since he doesn't update it very often (or at least since the new patches have been release) I would say just use Project Nevada's rebalance. It's what I use and I don't feel like I'm leveling up at lightspeed. I really do love XFO's mods in both F3 and NV, but he doesn't seem to finish what he starts.

Ummmm, can't help you with turning respawning off. I always increase it :p Actually I didn't even know there was a way to turn it off completely. I know you can slow it down or increase it though.

I found a No More Respawn mod, but I highly doubt it actually works.

There's one more mod that might work according to the comments, but it hasn't been updated since 2010: FNV Respawn Timer You could adjust the respawn rate so high that the enemies never respawn.

You can also do this with the console. But you would have to redo it every time you started New Vegas. If you know anothing about the geck you could make your own mod. From what I hear it's not that hard to do. It's just one console command telling it the respawn rate in hours. However I know absolutely nothing about actually making these mods. I just use them :)

You actually linked an older version of the memory enabler ;) http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39964

I ran FOOK for a bit but didn't like how random weapons got tossed at you. Felt cheesy in regard to balance at times. Currently running Project Nevada instead + IWS.

Also, if texture packs are your thing, I'd recommend NMC's over Ojo Bueno to keep things as vanilla as possible.

Last edited:
If XFO's creator had been more active I'd say use his because you can customize it to the way you want. For example you can slow down leveling by x2 or x3 or even increase it, but since he doesn't update it very often (or at least since the new patches have been release) I would say just use Project Nevada's rebalance.

That's what I'm using at the moment as well. IWS is incredible fun but it has me racing through levels due to the sheer number of mobs. Combining the -10% Skilled
trait with PN's 75% experience setting so far feels more natural.

You actually linked an older version of the memory enabler ;) http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39964

I did that on purpose because Fake Fullscreen works in conjunction with 4GB. I don't know if the same is true with the 3GB.

That and I didn't know about the 3GB ;)

Edit: Coaster you might want to check out this video about advanced recon mods. It's from the same guy I posted earlier, but these cover things for a more stealthy character such as stealth armor, trap detection, ect. Basically more ways to be a scout.

Last edited:
Amazing list, many thanks for your compiling efforts! I'll be definitely coming back here later in the year after the DLC package comes out...(fingers crossed...)
At this stage I've got the bounties mods lined up for a look - hopefully nothing too canon/setting defying though!

I know from my own experience looking for Morrowind mods how long making lists like this and getting them going can take, so thanks again.

As a fun little aside, have to disagree about three dog. :p First time I found him, we spoke at length before my avenging angel character decided to put a bullet in his head to shut him up. (Try fighting the good fight now owwww!)

Making the list wasn't so bad. I wanted to download updated versions to the files I had for a new round of New Vegas so might as well post a few links while I do it. Took about 5 or 6 hours I think, but it took all weekend to get mostly everything running as smooth as silk. I got it all working to which amazed the hell out of me :) Although I changed OJO Bueno to POCO Beuno and installed NMC over that and then Vurt's over that. New Vegas has never looked so beautiful.

I got a few more mods that I'm using and will post links when I get home, but I'm really surprised I got everything running so smoothly this time around. Normally I'll try to install some really cool mods and then mess it up somehow or add in too many that conflict. So then I'll just install a big one, some of the smaller ones that I know won't conflict and some texture packs. But thanks to Gopher's videos I have around thirty mods (probably a lot more than that) installed, a never before understood immersive hud, shaders are working properly, nothing is conflicting at all and my bash patch doesn't have one once of red in it. It's running without any problems or stutters. Well, I'm having problems with the music skipping, but that has to do with my codecs.

There are a lot of videos to watch and they're really long, but I highly recommend watching them. The dude is my hero now :)

Last edited:
Ok, new links for a better Fallout experience.

Vurt's Wasteland Flora Overhaul - It comes in two version. Dead Wasteland and Fertile Wasteland. I saw pics and videos of the fertile one and it's not for me. It's too green. It's beautiful, but too green. The dead wasteland keeps the overall feeling of the game while improving the textures.

You can install that on top of any other texture mods. Just make sure you install it after the others.

Flashlight NVSE - A small little mod that does exactly what it says it does. You now have a flashlight to see the critters coming at ya.

Quick Trade - Another small mod that makes trading easier. Trade with merchants without having to talk to them everytime. Just right click when facing them and you enter the trade window. Not a huge deal, but it seems to save time.

Advanced Recon mods - Five different mods adding in some stealth armor, trap detection, range finder, thermal vision (lots of different settings) and some helmets to use the other mods.

Watch this youtube vid to see them in action. The same guy that did the tutorials made these mods. I liked them all except the range finder. Didn't really see a use for that so I skipped it.

That's about it for now. I'm finishing up a few minor touches such as a new pipboy and some way to make the NPCs less orange without messing up due to MoMod.

No auto aim: you won't be miraculously shooting someone's gun out of their hands when you aim for the head, also drastically increases the distance at which you get a crosshair.
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34723

Tactical Third Person Camera:
Decreases the FOV when you aim for all weapons so you're more zoomed in when you aim and most of your body doesn't occupy the screen. I changed this one to also center the camera.
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40713

As far as graphics go I find the biggest visual problem in NV is the landscaping, the roads/environments aren't pleasant to walk around in(unlike fo3's) nor to look at and the distances are poorly judged(one of the many reasons why the hardcore mode is pointless). No amount of high res textures or different lighting systems will change that.

You've never lived in the desert then :). I absolutely love the desert and enjoyed the landscape. The textures made it even better.

It's not that I don't like the desert, I love it in games, post apoc in particular, just didn't like the way it was done in NV(red dead did it well). If you're always within sight of one settlement or another and only a minute run from getting there that's not a desert(and that's just the distances problem, not even the bad environment art\design)

Sorry for resurrecting this thread however I want to install some mods to make Fallout more pretty or increase visuals.

I was thinking aboiut the skies mod, etc....

CAn anyone give me recommendations especially in regards to what my notebook could handle. I don`t want to install mods, which i have trouble in deinstalling because NV has gotten unplayable because of the size of the graphics......

I have an i7 Notebook, 4 gigs of ram and an ATI 5730 Graphics card.

What mods which improve on visuals atmosphere could you recommend me especially in regards to my configuration ?

You recommendatiions are very much appreciated in advance,
L.

I found a No More Respawn mod, but I highly doubt it actually works.

There's one more mod that might work according to the comments, but it hasn't been updated since 2010: FNV Respawn Timer You could adjust the respawn rate so high that the enemies never respawn.

I've never finished FO:NV… There was a certain thing that drove me off from proceeding further. Never bought any DLC before, but now I have all of them thanks to the Steam sale.
And now I learn that there is a way to remove the master annoyance - the undocumented quest "kill 78234568734678346 respawns" that plagues almost every RPG including New Vegas. If that was removed by default I bet Obsidian would get more than 84% on Metacritic which would bring them royalties.
If one of those two mods work, I'm finally prepared to replay and finally finish the game!

It's been awhile since I played FO:NV, but I don't recall there being excessive respawning (at least not blatant enough to start irking me). Has time gilded my memories?

Anyway, impressive mod lists, Skaven. Two thumbs up! Kind of makes me want to give FO:NV another go with loads of mods this time.

Just reinstalled FNV and I'm gonna give it a second shot.

The mod I'm gonna apply is this one as it really looks essential, is not dead and is still being updated:
http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/45104

The second mod I hope that will work (but I've seen ppl saying on nexus it doesn't work any more since a certain patch was released) is "no respawn". I don't need the excessive XP and I don't care for grinderfriendly mods like starvinmyselftodeath Sawyer's one that instead of removing respawns lower the XP gain.

Are the big mods starting to die out?

Well, a cold shower. Mission Mojave crashes my game.
I guess I'll play unmodded game then.

Back
Top Bottom