Cyberpunk 2077 - Vehicles Video

I was not and am not arguing the merits of GTA. I happen to love the GTA series. I played the crap out of IV and V, and if VI should one day surface as a single player game, I will no doubt play the crap out of that.

My argument is purely that Cyberpunk is not GTA. There are many, many fundamental differences between the two franchises, and so calling Cyberpunk a GTA clone, ripoff, reskin, etc is lazy and inaccurate. That's all.

Who are you arguing with then? I haven’t heard anyone call it a clone, ripoff or reskin.

I’ve seen people make comparisons but that’s different than what you’re saying.

Who are you arguing with then? I haven’t heard anyone call it a clone, ripoff or reskin.

First: yes, they have.

Second: semantics. If someone writes "Cyberpunk is basically GTA" that is equivalent to calling it a clone.

I'm a big Cyperpunk RPG Fan, since i first played Shadowrun Tabletop when i was 12 years old. My first Cyberpunk MMORPG was Neocron.
No matter the Setting, if it's well made i can enjoy playing almost anything RPG related. Story and Gameplay is what matters for me most.
Lets hope that they can deliver all that!

Also keep in mind the setting. Night City is brimming with crime. If you steal a car from some random choomba, who would care? Probably not the police or any other organized group.

Continuing your lore reasoning: it would make no sense for a random choomba to own a car if it got stolen just like in GTA. One would assume the doors would always be locked and the windows at least fist proof. Stealing cars could work lore-wise if the player had to hack their doors open first and the car owner would shoot at the player.

I was not and am not arguing the merits of GTA. I happen to love the GTA series. I played the crap out of IV and V, and if VI should one day surface as a single player game, I will no doubt play the crap out of that.

My argument is purely that Cyberpunk is not GTA. There are many, many fundamental differences between the two franchises, and so calling Cyberpunk a GTA clone, ripoff, reskin, etc is lazy and inaccurate. That's all.
My mistake, sorry.

It may be my post, I'll just clarify :) I said the way they presented it in the videos made it look like a rip-off, because of the limitations I feel in GTA, and which are put forward in some of the videos (car-centric and activities boiling down to stealing car, racing, shooting) - no offence to those who loved GTA, I did have some fun with it and not everything needs to be about RPG, it's just that I disliked some fundamental features.

But I didn't say it was a rip-off, I don't know the game yet. I certainly hope it's not the case, and knowing CDPR I doubt it. Other videos offered a more interesting view of the game, my gripe is only with those last ones.

Continuing your lore reasoning: it would make no sense for a random choomba to own a car if it got stolen just like in GTA. One would assume the doors would always be locked and the windows at least fist proof. Stealing cars could work lore-wise if the player had to hack their doors open first and the car owner would shoot at the player.

It's not "lore reasoning". It's game design. If you think about it for more than 5 seconds, I'm sure you can recall literally hundreds of acts committed in RPGs than either had trivial repercussions or none at all. It's irrational to demand that Cyberpunk 2077 makes 100% real world sense in every single thing you do in the game.

And I'm definitely not saying that because a car can be stolen it makes no sense to own one. Are you joking?

I haven't played GTA V, but is it really that good? I'm a little surprised to see so much praise getting heaped on it here.

I've tried every GTA game up to and including GTA IV, and I wasn't impressed in the least. I did enjoy Vice City for a little while solely because of the music, but that's about it.

I haven't played GTA V, but is it really that good? I'm a little surprised to see so much praise getting heaped on it here.

I've tried every GTA game up to and including GTA IV, and I wasn't impressed in the least. I did enjoy Vice City for a little while solely because of the music, but that's about it.

I haven't finished GTA 5, but I liked the characters. Especially how insane they were. Especially Trevor. He's really out there. :biggrin:

I also liked GTA games, admittedly San Andreas more than the others, but they are good at what they do. I would not expect literary depth in the stories that are told, but the games offer a lot of world and content - and entertainment, if you are into what these games offer.

And while people basically love to complain about everything, the typical ratings of GTA games tend to be around (and often above) 90%. Obviously Rockstar found a formula that works to make people buy their games, so we should not expect drastic changes from one game to the other, of course.

And while people basically love to complain about everything, the typical ratings of GTA games tend to be around (and often above) 90%.

The same is true for Call of Duty, Super Mario Brothers, and Pokemon games. Which is why ratings are often worthless (to me) when it comes to mainstream game series.

The same is true for Call of Duty, Super Mario Brothers, and Pokemon games. Which is why ratings are often worthless (to me) when it comes to mainstream game series.

Hm, the reception of the latest Pokemon (full) game was a bit more mediocre (metacritic 80%). Same for "Call of Duty: Black Ops 4", which also did not reach into the 90% area generally. "Super Mario Maker 2", the last game I heard of there, was pretty well received, true.

Ok, but I don't quite get why this does that make ratings worthless? Of course, a (mainstream) rating is probably only worthwhile if you like games of that type. If you do not like how a Super Mario plays, even 95% rating will not indicate that you will like this game. Same obviously for GTA, if you don't like that type of game, it doesn't matter how well it does what such games are supposed to do.

Ratings are not meant to be a way to know how much you will enjoy this game, but more how many other people might enjoy it. The question if you are among these people depends on a lot of factors, obviously.

I think this looks absolutely awful myself.

For starters the sprites have a very Fallout 4 vibe to them, but on the whole it's just far too clean & pristine. The vibe it gives is one of fluffy, light-hearted fun, not one of dark, weighty, badassness.

Of course that is all down to personal preference, but I'd at least expect a game which is called "Cyberpunk" to have something in common vibe-wise to the greater CP media of the past 20 years, such as Blade Runner or Deus Ex.

I definitely get the GTA comparison too, and think we're gonna get hit with an Outer Worlds style "OK" game.

Ok, but I don't quite get why this does that make ratings worthless? Of course, a (mainstream) rating is probably only worthwhile if you like games of that type. If you do not like how a Super Mario plays, even 95% rating will not indicate that you will like this game. Same obviously for GTA, if you don't like that type of game, it doesn't matter how well it does what such games are supposed to do.

I didn't say they were worthless. I said they're often worthless to me. I thought it was obvious that I was indicating those aren't the kind of games I normally go for.

For starters the sprites have a very Fallout 4 vibe to them, but on the whole it's just far too clean & pristine. The vibe it gives is one of fluffy, light-hearted fun, not one of dark, weighty, badassness.

Eh? Are you seeing the same game as the rest of us?

I mean, it's obviously going to be subjective, but I have a hard time imagining how someone could interpret "fluffy, light-hearted fun" out of what they've shown.

Of course that is all down to personal preference, but I'd at least expect a game which is called "Cyberpunk" to have something in common vibe-wise to the greater CP media of the past 20 years, such as Blade Runner or Deus Ex.

I definitely get the GTA comparison too, and think we're gonna get hit with an Outer Worlds style "OK" game.
I think I've made it clear that unlike everyone and their mother I'm not impressed by what they've shown thus far, but clearly Blade Runner's never been the vibe they're aiming for. I like both Blade Runner movies, but I always wondered what was so punk about them. Those films and Deus Ex strike me more as cybernoir.

Eh? Are you seeing the same game as the rest of us?

I mean, it's obviously going to be subjective, but I have a hard time imagining how someone could interpret "fluffy, light-hearted fun" out of what they've shown.

He also sees sprites, apparently, so all bets are off.

Saw this quote today from a (I think) Polish website interview: "Only by unlocking the plethora of upgrades and with the use of special grafts, moreover, it will be possible to bypass the safety systems of the futuristic cars and motorcycles parked or requisition the vehicles from their legitimate owners in the middle of traffic." [Translation courtesy of the Redditor who posted it)

A little more William Gibson vibe than Bladerunner, although with a lot more action. I mean after all he started the cyberpunk genre. But probably not a huge amount of virtual computer interactions in this game, if any. i.e. "jacking in" - but these are old references to predict a facsimile of what the internet could be. Shadowrun series did a decent job of Gibson-esque cyberpunk gaming.

Anyways I'm on the side of GTA5 comparisons are reasonable, I loved that game, and 2077 looks like a lot of fun, for its own merits as well. My first thought was GTA on Steroids, which is a good thing. But I mean it in the sense that you are a criminal in the GTA games, and although there is danger, it is still a present day real world setting. In 2077 a lot more liberty can be taken to create a dangerous world in the future, playing as a criminal (even if you play as a "good" guy you'll still kill a lot of folks), and having cars with armor for example, and having to deal with many dangerous foes that exist legitimately in this world.

Back
Top Bottom