Grim Dawn - State of the Game Address

Dhruin

SasqWatch
After the previous "how much money can we get?" post was apparently misinterpreted, Crate has re-approached from a different angle. This State of the Game Address on the Grim Dawn forums outlines their current development position in detail. A small sample:
Where is the game at?

Gameplay:
As you can see from the Occultist video, the gameplay is well developed and already quite fun. Balance is fairly good for an alpha. Physics, pathing, and all of those sort of underlying systems are in reasonable shape but could use polish. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough playable or content to constitute an alpha quite yet. More on that below. Major UI is all working, although the art could use some love.

World
This is probably the single most significant effort left before we can release the full game. We have an area almost finished that would probably provide about 2-4 hours of gameplay that is probably sufficient for the alpha. There is a much larger expanse of world beyond that, which is laid out but in varying levels of completion. Finally, there are areas we've planned even further out that don't yet exist.

I put together a quick little progress-map using a shot of the actual levels taken from the editor layout mode to help illustrate this.

The green areas are the mostly finished levels. This is probably about large enough for us to begin the alpha with once we finish adding the quests, close off the exits into unplayable area, and tidy it up. As I said, this is probably about 2-4 hours but could grow once it has some questing. It can also currently be replayed up to level 30 since I haven't put the enemy level cap on the starting area yet. [...]
More information.

Nice update ,the game is more than half way finished. I want this game to succeed so badly .If you enjoyed Titans Quest , help support Grim Dawn ,i doubt it will disappoint.

I appreciate the fact that he laid out what is left to do very clearly for everyone. I don't think medierra left much out for us to wonder or question.

I will definitely pledge when they start kickstart.

I hope everyone from the Watch thats interested in the game throws inn.

what makes you think there are many? The easy cheating way would be to make a poll :)
How much would you pay for Grim
>15$
5-15$
<5$
i'm at 1-3$

It sounds like they are broke and can't finish the game.

These are the same guys that blamed piracy and no money on Titan's Quest studio collapse. Google it they were really quite vocal.

These guys are always in the dumps according to them. It's kind of weird.

Titan Quest is actually a great example of DRM working directly against sales.

To loosely quote the devs: "We had people complaining about crashes on the forums before the game was even officially released! Well, that wasn't even a real crash; it was our elite and super clever DRM that the scene didn't find!"

So, in the REAL world, word of mouth is the greatest sales tool. Never included in piracy stats are the viral marketing effects these copies generate; much like a demo.

So their game releases and the natural piracy things happen behind the scenes, as is to be expected… But their super clever DRM directly and exclusively tainted the viral hype the pirates were generating with the message that the game was unplayable and crashed non-stop, which was actually the DRM doing its job as intended!

And now the same team who had so little faith in people that they saw fit to use stupidly clever DRM are asking for 3.5 million bucks, to make their heads explode, on a faith basis that the old DRM ordeal reveals isn't mutual!

Anyway, money related aspects aside, still really looking forward to the game.

Also, I bought Titan Quest, but I did hear it was a buggy piece of crap first, which wasn't true, and that delayed the purchase.

Crate is a group of about 5 guys with families and jobs . They are making this game because they are gamers and the fans asked for a sequal ti Titans Quest. They mostly pay for the game out of their own pockets .The game is going to be good and the money from the kickstarter will speed up the process of the development and add more to the game. They started this before the explosion of indie developers ask us to throw money without a product.They are almost finished.

Crate is a group of about 5 guys with families and jobs . They are making this game because they are gamers and the fans asked for a sequal ti Titans Quest. They mostly pay for the game out of their own pockets .The game is going to be good and the money from the kickstarter will speed up the process of the development and add more to the game. They started this before the explosion of indie developers ask us to throw money without a product.They are almost finished.

They are obviously not "almost finished", but they have done a lot. I think this has every chance of becoming a top quality game, well worth kickstarting. Personally I'll support them with more money than I've put into any other Kickstarter project - and I will do so because they have put so much into the project already.

Back
Top Bottom