Elveon - Interview @ RPG Vault

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPG Vault's Jonric has interviewed Slavo Hazucha from 10tacle on Elveon with the first part now online. Let's start with a description:
Jonric: For those readers who may not know about Elveon yet, what type of game are you intending it to be, and what is it about?

Slavo Hazucha:
Elveon does not fit precisely into a pre-defined genre or sub-genre. We saw the challenge of the new platform on the gameplay and storytelling levels respectively, so Elveon, while generally being an action RPG, will introduce several innovative concepts and alterations to standards existing on the current consoles and PCs.
To tell the whole story of Elveon would be too long for this interview, but let me try to summarize the story in short. The gods have left the world of Naon in a rush; it is the place they had wanted to transform into their paradise. The Neamas, the Elves of the ancient times and fellows of the gods have remained there all alone. A smoldering conflict is gaining more and more importance, and a new era starts, which is marked by envy, malevolence and relentless wars that prevent the gods' descendants from fulfilling their inheritance. You are the hero of this epic, and your mission is to achieve your objective, the fulfilment of the prophecy - namely the liberation of the city of Nimathar - as the mightiest warrior of Naon because this task would require the powers of a god.
More information.

Is it me or do interviewers seldom ask the right questions? They love to ask all these cookie cutter "RPG" questions even though the game is barely an RPG. From what I've seen - its a melee action game. Why not ask about the gameplay? How do you control the melee? Nobody EVER asks about the controls. :(

ow I want talk about it for being an rpg or not.
But I know this is one game that is on my "keep on eye on" list.

I was very frustrated reading that interview - it wasn't necessarily that the questions were so bad, it seemed that Slavo was so enamored with his story and how 'unique' and 'special' and 'unlike anything else' and 'genre-defying' it is that he seldom provided much of any other information ... seems like a 20-ish hour action RPG with a story-lite in-game with tons of over-arcing story and lore that most people will never see / care about because they won't read the manual and will power through the in-game dialogue and text, which based on the review I assume will be Bradley-esque ...

I hope I'm wrong, but hopefully the combat will play as nice as the early videos of it looked ...

I can't say that I'm surprised at the replies though. Let's be honest now, it's not exactly shocking to read about a game being "better than the rest". Developers do what they can to promote their game and build up a hype, so they go on and on about whatever unique features their game has. This, of course, gets slightly boring after reading half a gazillion interviews where nearly all questions are answered with "it's epic and amazing and fun and unique!". Either that or the "I can't say anything about that at the moment".

I remember reading the Oblivion hype interviews about a year ago.. sheesh, they made the Radiant AI sound like alien technology.

Developers do what they can to promote their game and build up a hype, so they go on and on about whatever unique features their game has.
That is OK, but instead of going on about *how* it is unique and why we should be excited, it was much more that he was involved in self-love and telling us over and again *that* it was unique ...

Good point, reminds me of Al Bundy and his "four touchdowns in one game at Polk High", hehe.

I would like to point out, that 6 months before announced release they do not have the level design completed...
4 years of storywriting - well, basicaly I can't imagine how anyone can write a story for linear action game 4 years. During 4 years a normal writer would several thousands pages novel...
It is quite some fun to read this interview:))))
Does anyone of you remember, "the nostalgic Elvish atmosphere of eras long past"? Heh, maybe I am just too young to remember...
Speaking about high level of customizability of character and offering you 4 weapon skills (which sounds like the only skills in the game to me:)))
This whole game sounds like a big bubble with nice graphics...
I would summarize the whole interview:
Unique Elite Great Epic Heroic Great ELVISH ELVISH ELVISH ELVISH Hack'n'Slash

But let's hope I am wrong and this one will be the good one, I mean no offense to the developers:). And - I guess - forget summer 2007, think of spring 2008 instead:))))

But let's hope I am wrong and this one will be the good one, I mean no offense to the developers:). And - I guess - forget summer 2007, think of spring 2008 instead:))))

Agreed - the E3 previews and video had this on my radar ... this interview lowered my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom