The Witcher 2 - Roundup #6

It's usually when I have the feeling that someone wants to try to put himself/herself over/on top of others.

That's not what he did at all though. Read his post again. He just said that he loves exploring the world at high graphics settings. You obviously read much more into his post than what he actually said and meant.
Can everyone run the game at high/ultra settings? No. Depending on your hardware you may not be able to but it's not like he tried to boast about his ability to run the game at high settings or made fun of people who can't.
Sorry, Alrik, but in this case you come across like a typical envious German to me who can not stand people around him who are richer, smarter, faster, more successful, better looking or whatever. Here's an idea: How about just being happy for the guy if he can run the game at high settings instead of being envious and revealing an inferiority complex?

woah **blinks* ='.'=

For the record, I have a major, huge, glorious gaming rig of epic proportions that I built last year specifically for gaming. The fact that I'm hung like a field mouse has nothing to do w/ that.

Nothing at all

I am usually a slow player. I needed 105 hour for DA:O, last game I finished… I actually hope this one is shorter, with my limited playtime I prefer somewhat tighter designs these days… 30-40 hours would be great.

Funny, I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I used to do 12+ hour a day marathon sessions in my younger days and I can't even imagine doing that now. DAO took me about as long as it did for you and I'm not really looking to spend that much time on one single game again soon. Besides the ever growing queue of other digital downloaded games I have yet to play (oh that's on sale *click*) there's also that pesky thing called real life.

Am I the only one playing the game with an Xbox 360 controller? I haven't played more than an hour yet, so I don't know if that'll get me in trouble, but I like it so far. But I go more for story and immersion than for combat, anyway.

I'm playing with the 360 controller mostly. I works pretty well and I like it. I don't even own a 360 either, I just bought it a while back because Two Worlds II supported it and It was clunky playing it on my TV set with the wireless keyboard and mouse.

I'm playing with the 360 controller mostly. I works pretty well and I like it. I don't even own a 360 either, I just bought it a while back because Two Worlds II supported it and It was clunky playing it on my TV set with the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Yay, I'm not *totally* crazy. ;) I've gotten over that clunkiness of keyboard/mouse on the TV set and it works well enough, but I just like having a minimum of electronics in my hands as I play a game. You know, so I can lie back on the couch and suck in the game instead of fighting with a big row of buttons and a separate mouse thingie. Kind of heightens the immersion.

Oh, and I can play the game on Ultra with Ultra sampling disabled, and I bet not everybody can! Haha! *points* It looks beautiful and I'm gloating! :)

Sounds about right I played the game for 10 -12 hrs for three days and finally beat the game. So i beat the game in around 50 hrs. I'm going to play it again and choose different choices this time. It took me a while to get used to the controls a you can tell the game was designed with a controller as the focus. The first game only required you to use the mouse.

Chapter 1+2 take the most time the last chapters are more linear and take less time just as it was with the first game.

Last edited:
Just started the game - well a few hours into "intro". DLC issues are starting to irk me hugely….endless downloading loop. It downloads a component, fails to connect to verify, then downloads it all again - yay! Whoever coded up that part should be shot.

The combat is also sluggish - I don't expect instant response, but often geralt just stands there when I press a dodge key. I find that rather frustrating. I don't think they play-tested combat enough. I'm also not clear on whether timed attack chains still exist? The manual says nothing about then (I don't mean ending flourishes). I'm playing on normal (I ain't no power gamer) but the one fight was ludicrous - 6 guys (1 in heavy plate mail, 2 with shields) also chasing me around a courtyard! I only survived by rolling about crazily and running all over the show for several minutes. Allowing them t get close means you will die very very quickly. Which is realistic, but not something I want on 'normal' with dodgy unresponsive controls.

Its very pretty (everything maxed, runs well), but then playing with those huge black bars detracts from that too. Its OK, but I'm not yet enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.

Hmm, interesting, because I recall you mostly rushing through games, well some other games, anyway. That means it's a pretty long game.

Just started the game - well a few hours into "intro". DLC issues are starting to irk me hugely….endless downloading loop. It downloads a component, fails to connect to verify, then downloads it all again - yay! Whoever coded up that part should be shot.

The combat is also sluggish - I don't expect instant response, but often geralt just stands there when I press a dodge key. I find that rather frustrating. I don't think they play-tested combat enough. I'm also not clear on whether timed attack chains still exist? The manual says nothing about then (I don't mean ending flourishes). I'm playing on normal (I ain't no power gamer) but the one fight was ludicrous - 6 guys (1 in heavy plate mail, 2 with shields) also chasing me around a courtyard! I only survived by rolling about crazily and running all over the show for several minutes. Allowing them t get close means you will die very very quickly. Which is realistic, but not something I want on 'normal' with dodgy unresponsive controls.

Its very pretty (everything maxed, runs well), but then playing with those huge black bars detracts from that too. Its OK, but I'm not yet enjoying it as much as I'd hoped.

On the 1st time i tried that fight (on normal) i decided it was impossible to beat and cursed the game. After 10 tries i went to easy to "cheat" my way through.

Yesterday i started the game again (i wanted to see if i could do things diferently to meet a certain girl in the prologue dungeon - no sucess btw) and that fight was now just mildly chalenging on normal.

Tips:
- Always use the sign that puts a magic shield on you
- Always go 1st for the weakest targets, then the non-shielded ones
- Be patient. Don't rush into 3-4 mobs, strike 2-3-4 times and keep slashing until you kill someone completely, hit-and-run tatics are safer bets.

You realy realy improve a lot over time and with practice. The prologue is probably too chalenging on normal for most people because the lack of experience, but later on its much more manageable.

I can be very ironic and bitter at times.

It's usually when I have the feeling that someone wants to try to put himself/herself over/on top of others.

I have a i7 920@4g 12gb ram and 2 gtx 480's in sli and can run at highest settings with ubersampling and very large memory textures enabled. the game looks amazing and you know what that makes me ? Nothing, It doesn't reflect on who I am or my worth at all.

If you judge whether your better or worse than someone else by how powerful of a gaming rig you have then the problem lies with you not him.

How does the DLC work, is it a separate story (you start a new game) or it's installed into the main game?

Quest on a board within the main game, like contracts.

I have a 3 year old system and am running this on max (including ubersampling) and am having no problems at all playing it.

Back
Top Bottom