What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Probably best for me that she doesn't... Think about it, though. She's not the usual skeletor girl, and the skin on her face isn't perfect, and she's not swinging 38DD's. Still, quite the impressive package. Bounce that against an Angelina Jolie, whom to me is the poster girl for the "old" approach.

I finally got to see Wall-E and got completely blown away from it. The movie is at #46 on IMDB's best movie ever made and yeah, it took me by complete surprise. It doesn't feel like a movie for children.

There are some movies… and they are rare… that simply doesn't leave you when the credits are rolling… and this one is one of those. Like R2D2 made a droid "human" 1977, Wall-E suceeds twice, with both the main characters.

What surprised me the most is how different it is to what I expect from an American movie. Japanese or French movies still tend to surprise me but most American ones you simply know before you seen it. Wall-E managed to just disconnect my brain to just sit and watch, I had no idea whatsoever what was going on, I was simply awestruck what I saw.

Both me and my wife cried like babies. And the movie did inspire me to do something. Shape up… fix things… set things straight…

Probably best for me that she doesn't… Think about it, though. She's not the usual skeletor girl, and the skin on her face isn't perfect, and she's not swinging 38DD's. Still, quite the impressive package. Bounce that against an Angelina Jolie, whom to me is the poster girl for the "old" approach.

Jolie looks like a blow-up doll :)

Gemma is naturally sexy in all the right ways. Maybe she wouldn't be in RL after having spoken to her, but I'll stick to my fantasy image ;)

I went to watch "The Karate Kid" together with a friend, and agreed it was surprisingly good. I faintly remembered the older version released in mid 1980m, which was popular at the time, and the current one in no way lesser terms of story, acting and direction. Jaden Smith (son of Will Smith) certainly acted very well and is the most notable character movie.

Watched today How to train your dragon.

Summary : Great, great, great movie ! :)

I was very, very good entertained, the story might be a bit flat, but it's performence is very good. :) It is witty, it is full of dangers, it has emotions in it ... Plus it has a really great boss-fight in it ! :)

Plus, I could easily resonate with the protagonist. (Like in the movie "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs"). The world definitively needs more people like him.

Watched The A-Team.

A stupid, silly, campy movie with sympathetic characters and totally unrealistic action. Just like the TV show. I enjoyed it a lot!

It's like Charly's Angels or XXX mixed with the A-Team show. Fast pace and good fun for 100 minutes. I especially liked the one scene everybody criticized (Tank).

The Prisoner (1967) (German: Nummer 6)

Currently running on Arte. The legendary sci-fi spy series, the spiritual predecessor to Lost.
Absolutely brilliant. I was very surprised how fresh and relevant this show still is. An absolute masterpiece.

I watched 'Catch Me If You Can' last night. Leonardo Diacprio can act, IMO. He's a future Jack Nicholson.
I like almost all of his movies, particularly those after Titanic. He had gotten a certain image with that one that he overcame and very quickly grew out of, now he's just a very good actor. Haven't seen his latest two movies yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing Inception.

Saw Inception the other day. It reminded me of The Matrix in many ways. Worth going to see, but take your brain; you actually have to pay attention!! :)

Rampage
Another sign of the apocalypse - Uwe Boll made a good movie! Rampage is a compact 75 minute movie full of gritty realism. The story is more tricky than expected, the actual 15-20 minute rampage is very well shot, including a couple of remarkable scenes I won't spoil here. Very nice rhythm. The actors are also convincing, and even Max Headroom is in there.
A solid 7-8/10.
Make sure to get an uncut version. The cut version is unwatchable.

Inception

Pretty good - and kept me entertained. Nolan still doesn't understand pacing - but he has some neat, if not terribly original, ideas, and there's no denying he's got some talent.

I liked it a lot better than Dark Knight - which I consider a boring and pretentious mess - and I think it's about as good as Prestige/Batman Begins.

Memento is much more of an idea, than an entertaining film - and I doubt Nolan came up with it himself. It certainly reminds me of a certain game, and I seem to recall the game reminding me of a certain book.

Insomnia = zzz.

I'll probably need to see it a few more times to be certain, but it seemed to be somewhat inconsistent - but that's to be expected, when dealing with stuff like dreams. I don't think the whole "dream flavor" came through like I think it could have, but I suppose that's kinda the point. But I can't say anymore without spoilers.

In any case, it inspired me to think - and very few movies do that, these days. So that's a major plus.

7.5/10

Oh - and just to add, as good as it was, it's nowhere near Matrix-level good.

Last edited:
I guess I need to see Inception, since that's all anyone seems to be talking about lately. :)

The Prestige is my favorite Christopher Nolan film by far. A very underrated movie that didn't get the attention it deserved.

Just returned from Toy Story 3. Oh, so wonderful :). IMO the best of the three Toy Stories - 3D wasn't necessary, but didn't damage the movie, either. I had to cry, of course, but it was the same with TS 1 and 2.

I don't think the whole "dream flavor" came through like I think it could have, but I suppose that's kinda the point.
Yeah, as someone who absolutely digs all sorts of dreamlike movies, I found it a bit lacking in that department.

For instance, I would have loved to see more direct involvement of the architect. She didn't really do anything after she was recruited.

But I also don't think it was meant to be a movie about dreams or dream worlds but more about the superficial philosophical questions pondering the nature of thought and maybe time. I'd compare it to The Fountain (timelessness / love) rather than films like MirrorMask or Waking Life (dreams). I was also reminded a bit of Night Watch / Day Watch (layers), which, however, had more / more interesting effects.

Anyway, great movie in its own right, I enjoyed it a lot.

Inception has certainly grabbed my attention.
I'm still looking for someone to rubbish it,so far I've yet to see a person calling it bad or even average.I'm sure the "for every fan there's a hater" rule does apply here but I've only seen fans.

DArtagnan's "review" was probably the less favorable but then again DA is the last person I'd expect to get excited about anything well-received ;)

Back
Top Bottom