Xenonauts

tiagocc0

Indie Developer Wannabe
Has anyone seen this?

http://www.xenonauts.com/

I just found it and I was amazed at the quality of the screenshots.

"The game is heavily inspired by the classic X-Com / UFO: Enemy Unknown, released in the mid-90s by the now-defunct Mythos / Microprose. It is not a straight remake; though the core mechanics remain similar much has changed or been updated – so much so, in fact, that we prefer the term ‘reimagining’ to remake’."

There is a demo as well to try...I'm funding this.

There is a demo as well to try…I'm funding this.

I tried demo and I liked what I seen it definitely have that Xcom feel.But in this state it doesn't have much technologies and AI isn't smart but I think it shows well how game will be once it's finished.I am not sure of firaxis remake since it's also developed for consoles and mass market but if they don't get it right based on demo I am pretty sure goldhawk will

Xenonauts is now close to a beta; alpha is already very playable and a lot of fun.

Played a quick battle for this the other night, looking very nice.

I played an earlier version of it.

It's pretty good - but I'd call it somewhat sterile. It's hard to get really excited by it - and frankly, I think the original X-Com has more atmosphere and is just better overall.

Check out http://openxcom.org/ - if you haven't already.

It adds a lot of convenience features and makes X-Com much more playable by modern standards.

That said, if you're REALLY in the mood for a clone with a very clean and competent execution - then Xenonauts is a good choice.

…I think the original X-Com has more atmosphere and is just better overall…

Check out http://openxcom.org/ - if you haven't already.
Thanks for the link, the osx version seems work well, I have the full collection on GG but never bothered attempt install it. I used an automatic wrapper to install the GG version in the wrapper, then copy all the files where the open version need them and it worked.

The only bug I noticed from a quick play is that the path hint is wrong. There's an option to show your path before to move, ie really the minimal, alas it doesn't work and don't compute well the action points, I suppose it's still a bug in this version.

…I think the original X-Com has more atmosphere and is just better overall…
I tried a little bit up to first mission of X-com original through this open version and I think your imagination needs work a lot to really find atmosphere in it. It's in fact a very cold game, descriptions lack a lot of mood. It's more qualities in your mind than really in the game.

Moreover I tried two times play the first combat mission and it made me smile to notice how aliens are pure basic campers, I don't call that good gameplay, lol.

Back
Top Bottom