Bethesda - Elder Scrolls Anthology Announced

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Bethesda announced The Elder Scrolls Anthology at QuakeCon. It will be released on September 10 for $79.99.

ElderScrollsAnthologyBox.jpg

The Elder Scrolls Anthology includes:

The Elder Scrolls Arena

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
• Tribunal
• Bloodmoon

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
• Knights of the Nine
• Shivering Isles

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
• Dawnguard
• Hearthfire
• Dragonborn
More information.

It might be a fun thing to collect but I don't want to go back to disks.

Especially if you just have to put it on steam anyway.

Wow a couple years ago it was give me retail box or give me death.

Now I want nothing to do with disks. I've been assimilated, I'm so ashamed.

Oorah... perfect for that desert island/post-civilization survival pack

I'm in it for the maps. I just enter the code into Steam without even taking the disc out.

I'm in it for the maps. I just enter the code into Steam without even taking the disc out.

I wouldn't mind having those maps, but I'm not paying $80 for them.

Imo, Bethesda had an opportunity to do something really special here. Five discs and five paper maps isn't it though.

Instead, they should have went all in. Maybe include a booklet that details the lore and back-story of each game, soundtracks for the later games or at least a compilation disc with the most popular tracks, and an extra disc with Battlespire and Redguard.

As is, there's very little incentive for longtime fans here.

Does this mean they already have a version of Daggerfall that doesn't require that damn DOS emulator?

Nice looking package, but I'll bet that younger Oblivion/Skyrim fans would be in for a big surprise if they bought this for the earlier TES games ;). Many modern gamers probably would not have the patience for Arena and Daggerfall, and maybe not even Morrowind. It's a bit of a shame that the anthology does not include Battlespire or Redguard.

I agree with JDR13 - this is a lackluster offering. Good for total Elder Scrolls newbies I suppose.

At least they could have put in a limited edition Cliff Racer statue or something.

What I find slightly worrying here is that this anthology comes across like a final ultimate edition. I could be very wrong, of course, and it's just their strategy to keep TES on the shelves and in the news and to keep trucking along until TESO.
I can't quite shake the fear, however, that this edition may be the closure of single player TES. Will Bethesda pull a Blizzard and bury TES single player RPGs like Blizzard buried Warcraft RTS when WoW went live?

I seem to remember that someone from Bethesda (Hines?) said 'no' to sun-setting single player TES but it's a huge company and maybe someone somewhere higher up changed their mind…? Hopefully not.

I know what you mean... at least my wife has stopped complaining that I have to many games ;)

So release your biggest selling game by far and maybe the biggest selling single player RPG of all time and then decide to stop doing single player RPG's all together?

Well sounds silly but the bigger companies get the dumber they get so the demise of Bethesda must be coming soon.

Normal people can realize how stupid this move would be, but a big company definitely does stupid crap like this. Maybe they can even sign a deal with EA for even more PR money.

This is just an attempt to get more money from old products. I remember the Total War Anthology from years back and the series is still going strong. They wont be the last company to do this.

Anyway there are two different studios working on different games right now. Even if we never see another single player Elder Scrolls we may get something original finally.:nod:

So release your biggest selling game by far and maybe the biggest selling single player RPG of all time and then decide to stop doing single player RPG's all together?

Not sure where you got that from. You do realise games of the scale they do take several years (3-5) to pull together. They also certainly have a few as yet unannounced projects in the works.

Imo, Bethesda had an opportunity to do something really special here. Five discs and five paper maps isn't it though.

9 discs :)

I have all of this in several collectors editions - I pass on this one.

I'm always a bit unsure who are supposed to buy these. Fans are already going to own all the games and not likely to spend $80 on the extras. Non-fans are not likely to spend $80 on a series they don't know yet.

What I find slightly worrying here is that this anthology comes across like a final ultimate edition. I could be very wrong, of course, and it's just their strategy to keep TES on the shelves and in the news and to keep trucking along until TESO.
I can't quite shake the fear, however, that this edition may be the closure of single player TES. Will Bethesda pull a Blizzard and bury TES single player RPGs like Blizzard buried Warcraft RTS when WoW went live?

I seem to remember that someone from Bethesda (Hines?) said 'no' to sun-setting single player TES but it's a huge company and maybe someone somewhere higher up changed their mind…? Hopefully not.

Unless TESO becomes an out of this world success, I can't see that. Nah, its just milking...

Back
Top Bottom