Valkyria Chronicles HD + Valkyria: Azure Revolution

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Valkyria Chronicles HD will launch in Japan on February 10. This version will include 1080p resolution, an additional mode called "Hard EX mode", and three new missions. Naturally, with the success of the original VC in the west, we can reasonably expect this to be imported in the next year or two.

But it's not being released in a vacuum. Actually, it's coming out to build hype for a brand new Valkyria Chronicles game, Valkyria: Azure Revolution, which is coming out (in Japan) sometime this winter.

Valkyria-Azure-Scan-LQ_11-17-15_001.jpg

Prologue

With the discovery of the azure mineral Ragnite, the powerful Rus Empire achieved rapid industrial development and expanded its territory. Jutland, a small country, is econmically blockaded by the large country, and advocating “independence and freedom from colonial rule,” strikes the empire army’s base.

Characters

Amleth – The protagonist. The commanding officer of the Jutland Kingdom’s elite Anti-Valkyria Unit.

Ophelia – The heroine. The princess of the Jutland Kingdom.

Brynhildr – A Valkyria sided with the Rus Empire that stands before the heroes.

Valkyria-Azure-Scan-LQ_11-17-15_002.jpg

Valkyria-Azure-Scan-LQ_11-17-15_003.jpg

System

“Gouache” Drawing Engine – Through detail and vivid color, the game is depicted in a painting-esque visual presentation..
“LeGION” Battle System – A rela-time battle system with added simulation elements. Details are still unknown, but in the screenshots, you can see all party members attacking at the same time.

How work on a new Valkyria game began…

Ozawa: “We wanted to do something new using Valkyria, and one of the things we’re putting in is a real-time system. Initially, we were considering real-time strategy, but we went with an RPG because we think that’s what more users will want to play.”

This game’s connection to Valkyria Chronicles…

Ozawa: “This time, we switched to an RPG. The concept of the battle system and the sensation of the battlefield are the same, but because it’s an RPG with simulation elements, you can experience the battlefield through a different perspective.”

Regarding the flow of the game…

Ozawa: “You get the feeling that you’re taking territory from a major power and expanding your scope. You’ll prepare at the base, go out to the field, achieve your objectives, and return to base. It’s similar to an RPG where you go into dungeons.”

Regarding the world…

Ozawa: “It’s completely different (from Valkyria Chronicles). This time, the key item known as Ragnite is not just used as an energy resource, but also has magical aspects. Valkyria are supernatural compared to humans, beings considered close to gods.”

Shimosato: “I want them to become known as the Senjou series and Kakumei series.” (Note: This means the “Battlefield” series and “Revolution” series. In Japan, Valkyria Chronicles is called “Senjou no Valkyria,” or “Valkyria of the Battlefield,” while this new title is called “Aoki Kakumei no Valkyria,” or “Valkyria of the Azure Revolution.”)

Valkyria-Azure-Scan-LQ_11-17-15_004.jpg

Regarding combat…

Ozawa: “There are symbol encounters, but symbols are shown as a unit, and you can interact with a symbol before the encounter. You can snipe an enemy symbol, use a smokescreen to disable it, or shoot at it with a rifle to lure the enemy. Sniping is powerful, but on the battlefield it functions like an usable item so there are limits how often it can be used.

“Battles are conducted by setting commands to buttons. They’re action-ish battles. It takes on the familiar form of recent RPGs. The maximum amount of party members is five. You control one of them, and the rest move based on a set thought process.”

Shimosato: “As there are beings that transform into tanks, there are also weapons that imitate living things.”

A message for fans…

Shimosato: “We can’t announce it yet, but we’re commissioning music from a famous name.”

Ozawa: “There are parts similar to Valkyria Chronicles, but because it’s largely different on the surface in a good way, we want you to enjoy this game with flat eyes as a new series.”

It looks a little more serious than Valkyria Chronicles…

What do you think? Would you play this?

(scans courtesy of Gematsu)

Last edited:
Sounds great to me. I welcome it.

Valkyria Chronicles HD, though? I thought the PC version was in HD? I recall playing it in 4K resolution, actually. It looked quite nice, too.

Sounds great to me. I welcome it.

Valkyria Chronicles HD, though? I thought the PC version was in HD? I recall playing it in 4K resolution, actually. It looked quite nice, too.

Maybe the "HD" is for the benefit of Playstation, though this new version will also include new missions and other assorted new content...

That could also mean that Sega ships the new content west as just a DLC instead of a full-blown remastered version like PS4 is getting...

“Battles are conducted by setting commands to buttons. They’re action-ish battles. It takes on the familiar form of recent RPGs. The maximum amount of party members is five. You control one of them, and the rest move based on a set thought process.”
<sigh> And another turn based game bites the dust.

It looks a little more serious than Valkyria Chronicles…

What do you think? Would you play this?
I don't know. I get the feeling the Valkyria name is only there to try and increase sales. They take some new game they think will sell better, stuff in ragnite, some tanks, and a coat of blue paint then slap the Valkyria name on it to try and give it some name recognition. That doesn't mean the new game is going to be bad, though, just that the developers don't have the guts to make a proper new IP.

I'm personally excited that they're fleshing out the Valkyria universe more, and I'll be excited to see a new battle system and another take on the series. If they pour all of themselves into doing something they feel passionately about, it'll be better than trying to copy the previous game halfheartedly and making a watered-down game...

At least, that's my thought. :)

Likewise, looking forward to it.

Hmm damn the only way to get Valkyria Chronicles 2 on my vita is through a PS3 which I no longer have....hrms. Wonder if there is another trick to it.

Likewise, looking forward to it.

Hmm damn the only way to get Valkyria Chronicles 2 on my vita is through a PS3 which I no longer have….hrms. Wonder if there is another trick to it.

Ouch! Not that I'm aware of. But don't despair the loss of your PS3...I tried the other night to do the "Remote Play" thing with my Vita and PS3, and 99% of the time it doesn't work anyway. It's a newer feature, apparently, and imperfectly implemented on the PS3...

I'm guessing it's easier to do on PS4.

Well, it wasn't the remote play that I did… I think it was a game that was for PSP but that you can't dl to your vita directly. So you have to go to the store, DL it on your PS3 and then transfer it to your vita.

No idea why they make it so complicated, but thats how I did it the other time around.

Last edited:
Nice find Aubrielle. I hope the new game is more like the original then the two sequels were. As for the HD remake hopefully it gets released on Steam as a free update.

Nice find Aubrielle. I hope the new game is more like the original then the two sequels were. As for the HD remake hopefully it gets released on Steam as a free update.

Thanks! And I hope so too. It would only make sense.

Well, it wasn't the remote play that I did… I think it was a game that was for PSP but that you can't dl to you vita directly. So you have to go to the store, DL it on your PS3 and then transfer it to your vita.

No idea why they make it so complicated, but thats how I did it the other time around.

What a scam! That's so awkward and ridiculous. That sucks so bad that you can't play it...:(

There were many Valkyria games made for vita but only one was released outside Japan.
I bought the second PSP game & played the third thanks to a few talented translators.

The 1080p Valkyria Chronicles version is out for PS4 and Eurogamer analyzed it:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-valkyria-chronicles-face-off

The PS4 remaster features a few refinements not seen on PC and runs at a mostly solid 60fps - an excellent upgrade over the PS3 original

However, on PC we have options, and image quality can be massively improved via supersampling. Using Nvidia DSR mode, it's possible to render natively at 4K before downsampling to 1080p, giving us a much cleaner presentation. With this setup in play, Valkyria Chronicles still features a distinctive soft-focused look, but removes all remaining blemishes - such as visual noise - to achieve an almost paper-like effect.

Overall, it's a good showing for this Valkyria Chronicles remaster. PS4 offers up additional refinements over the PC version in a few areas, even if it's not a dramatic upgrade. If you're after the best image quality then PC has you covered, and it's also possible to play at high frame-rates and resolutions beyond 60fps and 1080p - though obviously you're going to need the GPU power to get the job done.

I'm pretty sure there are people here who still didn't buy this excellent pearl that was initially thrown to pigs although 2 thousand years old book warned devs not to do it.
It made it's way on PC, so grab it already.

Never heard about World of Tanks.
You sure it's not phone garbage or some crappy MMO? :evilgrin:

Uuuuuummmm... (looks at Joxer's armed avatar) I think I hear my mother calling. BRB!

Ermm, sorry, but can we get from Sega VC2 and VC3 ported on PC (especially VC3)?!

And...seriously, the new stuff is for the mobile version of World of Tanks, not even for the desktop or XBox One/PS4 versions of the bloody WoT....

Hello everybody!
I've just found the original VC on the PSstore and I thought about buying it. I remember that I really like FF tactics back in the day. Does this game is similar to the FFT or not? Is it worth buying for someone who do not like the military feel of this game?

Back
Top Bottom