Baldur's Gate 3 - Preview @RockPaperShotgun

Did she die in canon or could she make a return on BGIII?

Viconia didn't die in the original games. The companions who die (officially) at some point in the trilogy are Khalid, Dynaheir, Safana, Skie, Yoshimo, Montaron, and Xzar.

I've no idea about the 100 years in-between the original games and BG3 though. I assume WotC and/or Larian will retcon as they see fit.

I think I am the only person here who is completely neutral about this announcement as I have not played any of the Baldur's Gate games and any of the Divinity: Original Sin games as well yet I own all these games!

I hope Baldur's Gate 3 turns out well :)

Viconia has two official epilogues (google it if needs must), and Drow have long lifespans, so she could return.

I have high hopes, Larian is a company that delivers. I too have a huge dislike for the scaling mechanics especially in DOS2, but the humor and colours I have no problem with. Still, I hardly think they will make BG3 be too much in that regard, they're professionals and I believe they will respect the heritage.

Scaling was very significant in BG2 though. As an example, depending on the order you do quests you either fight a couple of skeleton warriors or a lich :)

I hope Larian can do it, but my problem with this is that they make their games "collorfull" and even when bad things happen there is humor and hope and stupid COLOR.
And I for one remember Baldur's Gate as dark and gritty…

ummmm...Minsc?....the annoying guy on the bridge(How about now? How about now? How about now?)... the theatre group in Baldur's Gate(auditioning?). I think we, as game players, make the atmosphere. Now Planescape, I remember, was really dark and gritty.

ummmm…Minsc?….the annoying guy on the bridge(How about now? How about now? How about now?)… the theatre group in Baldur's Gate(auditioning?). I think we, as game players, make the atmosphere. Now Planescape, I remember, was really dark and gritty.

It’s that Star Wars mentality where people grew up with something they still take seriously and want to view it as more adult than it is. BG2 (and Star Wars) was camp as hell. Which there’s not necessarily anything wrong with but yeah, dark and gritty it was not.

I think I am the only person here who is completely neutral about this announcement as I have not played any of the Baldur's Gate games and any of the Divinity: Original Sin games as well yet I own all these games!
Oh you lucky guy...

That body belongs to Larian Studios.
That opening metaphor about ceremorphosis is about the most tortured thing I've read since high school. I like how they feel they need to "say goodbye to the Infinity engine". No, what?! That baby's got AT LEAST another 20 years in it!!

And after all that, he didn't even say whether it would be turn-based or RTWP. They didn't even effing ASK! Great reportage there, RPS. Color me neutral.

Another distinction between European and American game developers, which I'm surprised no one brought up, is how employees are treated. I'd love to see Europe come out on top just because they have actual labor laws there and can't shit all over people with complete impunity.

Last edited:
That opening metaphor about ceremorphosis is about the most tortured thing I've read since high school. I like how they feel they need to "say goodbye to the Infinity engine". No, what?! That baby's got AT LEAST another 20 years in it!!

And after all that, he didn't even say whether it would be turn-based or RTWP. They didn't even effing ASK! Great reportage there, RPS. Color me neutral.

Another distinction between European and American game developers, which I'm surprised no one brought up, is how employees are treated. I'd love to see Europe come out on top just because they have actual labor laws there and can't shit all over people with complete impunity.

Apparently the labor laws did not apply to the witcher 3 team...

That being said, more to the point of the thread...

I think larion is a great studio, I think they always make great games....do I think they can do this justice? Most likely, though I find them a weird fit to bring in to do this. I hope they do well at this, I think there will be huge expectations that will be hard to actually meet.

Honestly, I was always hoping that larion would get access to the Ultima series and bring us a true sequel there, they are very close to how origin was back in the day, in that their style transfers to that series quite well.

I'm very hopeful this game is good however, long live the rpg:)

Personally, I'm cautiously optimistic. I think the writing of DOS2 was better and the look was already less colourbook like than the first Original Sin. If they can again adopt what they learned from DOS2 and adapt to a more grim Baldur's Gate style, it could turn out to be a really good game.

And as a fellow belgian and someone who once applied for a job a Larian at the end of the nineties (and was rightfully turned down for wasting an hour of Swen's time, what was I thinking :rolleyes:), I'm rooting for them.

I gotta say I am hyped too, especially now it's clear it's not a continuation of the Bhaalspawn saga. I am pre-ordering this baby if it's isometric and party-based, no doubt about that, if only to support Larian.
And come on, how can you not love Swen? I hope that they'll do updates again like the ones they did for the DOS2 KickStarter; those were always fun to watch.

I think the Larian humor might fit this game if they maybe take it down just a tad from DOS1 -- I haven't played DOS2 yet, so not sure how they compare. Like others said, BG2 is in my all-time top 3 but it was very campy (which added to the charm IMHO).

Anyway: HYPE. :)

You do realize this is going to take place in the same setting and location as the older games, right?

Yes, I do. My comment wasn't clear… I was pointing out my only reservations about these games.

Also want to add: as soon as I read this news, I came right to this site to read about how this game will suck, be too silly, have some online aspect that will make it a disaster, and how consoles will ruin it. You folks mostly came through! ;)

I was actually hoping they used the divinity os engine; a whole new one has me more concerned. Also really hope it's turn based. His comments about dice rolling misses isn't fun concerns me a bit. I'm in the cautiously optimistic camp, Larian is a good studio

Bloodlines 2 and BG3 announced one after another in short time.. I wasn't expecting this in 2019 :D

Did she die in canon or could she make a return in BGIII?

Would Viconia be too high level? I'm assuming the (new?) protagonist will start at a low enough level to make it challenging against the Illithid.

Have we ever had a turn based vs RTWP poll on this site? I’m curious how that would turn out.

Back
Top Bottom