BG3 Turn-based or RtwP or something new?

Baldur's gate 3

Preferred combat system

• turn-based

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • real time with pause

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • something new

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
So what would you prefer as a combat system in BG III?

Gotta vote something new. It's what I kind of suspect, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing some innovation in the ways RPGs can play.

Wonder if they could do it like POE2? Have both. My favorite would be turn-based for hard battles and RtwP for trash mobs and easier battles. Would most likely take too much time to program both from the start.

RTwP for me. I really enjoy Larian's TB approach, but there needs to be more in the name than just the city and a few references. If they're going for a completely different style of gameplay, protagonist and era, they should have just called it D&D: Insert Fancy Title.

Edit: Which is one of the reasons I was so disappointed with Torment. It really has nothing to do with PS: T beyond a wall of text here and there.

I'd be very interested in hearing some speculated models on what the "something new" could look like! Interchangeable TB and RtwP as Hastar mentioned? An Arcanum like hybrid?

As it stands, I have no real preference but the idea of a D&D game going back to its turn-based pen and paper roots and connecting to the heritage of the Goldbox games is an attractive proposal to me. Maintaining the RtwP tradition is also a perfectly acceptable system that I'd be more than happy with that as well.

Last edited:
I'm just happy a 5e D&D game is being made. Either combat system is fine. When I think about it, I have played ToEE more than BG1&2. So I would go with turn based as first choice.

Of course it's the modded version of ToEE with the Circle of 8 modpacks. Also, their Keep on the Borderlands mod.

I'd prefer Turnbased.

Something new could be interesting (pulse based RTwP for example).

If it's normal RTwP I am not going to play it. Already skipped BG2.

Turn based most definitely! Just like regular P&P and hopefully without a gazillion of trash mobs...

Turn-based all the way. Please, please, please, Larian! :biggrin:

There is an option missing.

REAL TIME (no pause). ;)

Those last two would be an instant fail for me and a definite NO BUY!!!!

There is an option missing.

REAL TIME (no pause). ;)
Yep that's how I play my RPGs. Barley use the pause function.:gorath:
Sad to see turn-based is somehow the preferred choice for modern RPGs.

Well, there is still the games like Elex and Outer World. They are doing fine in real time (without pause) :D

That’s the preferred choice on the watch where most don’t play modern games.

The rest of the internet wants dark souls combat.:p

I didn’t vote. I’m fine with RTWP or TB but i wouldn’t buy if it was like DKS or diablo.

Yeah I'm just being a tad nit-picky that's all. As I also love either type of combat but usually find myself preferring action based RPGs more then turn-based nowadays.

The result so far is quite surprising to me. I thought that we get something like a 60/40 split in favor of turn-based.

Voted RTwP, since that's what the originals were in and where my preference would go, but wouldn't mind TB either.

No-buy if it's anything like a Diablo clickfest (though I don't think they'll go that route).

Back
Top Bottom