The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I've been jamming to them a lot lately. I think their older stuff is better though especially the Demanufacture album.

Yeah I think Demanufacture is a classic. I remember the local student radio thrashing that one when it came out. Though I think my first exposure was on some compilation tape that had Big God/Raped Souls from their previous album on it. That was more death metal or grindcore, but I still liked it quite a lot.

This morning I was in a feisty mood, so I unleashed three Anthrax albums: Persistence of Time, Sound of White Noise, and Stomp 442. Then my brother rolled up and demanded I cease and desist!

I was listening to more Elvis Costello tonight, and hit this cover of his song Shipbuilding, by Robert Wyatt. Just great stuff, IMO. Punk meets prog-rock - probably not for everyone. :p

Tiny Magnetic pets : "Kicked off in Ikea", a modern consume story.

They're really becoming my favourite band right now.

Bit of an unusual throwback for me the past couple days:

Prime Video (Amazon) has, at least in Norway, several rock concerts on offer. Shows include Yes, Metallica, Dream Theater. And the Home Invasion concert by Steven Wilson at the Royal Albert dhall, which I watched while cycling during the weekend. Excellent concert. Most of the songs were from his solo albums, naturally, but he also played several classic Porcupine Tree pieces.

Well worth investigating if you have Prime, or can get a free trial period.

an incarnation of pibbur who has PT on hist top 10 favourite bands list.

Ahhh oddly enough Pibbur, I this morning I watched a concert from the seventies featuring a band I've always enjoyed, the Hollies. You are spot on, Prime has lots of musical content available, and if you cannot find something there, you-tube likely has even more.

So, during lunch today I took three albums out to the porch, featuring Guns and Roses: Appetite for Destruction, Use your Illusion Volume one and two. The first is one of my all-time favourite debut albums, heck, it might be the greatest debut of all time, and if not it certainly ranks up there. Say what you will about Rose, personally I think he's scummy to the max, yet he can wail and the band is exceptional.

Just to remind the carnifex of music he should listen to, here's Talking Heads:

Once in an lifetime:

Take me to the river:

an incarnation of pibbur who realises there's water not only at the bottom of the ocean, but also at the surface (hopefully not at his MS Surface).

PS. There is an 1 hour concert video with Adrian Belew as gueDS.st musician on youtube.

Last edited:
Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day (Full Album)

Just to remind the carnifex of music he should listen to, here's Talking Heads:

Once in an lifetime:

Take me to the river:

an incarnation of pibbur who realises there's water not only at the bottom of the ocean, but also at the surface (hopefully not at his MS Surface).

PS. There is an 1 hour concert video with Adrian Belew as gueDS.st musician on youtube.

I was lucky enough to see them live on the Stop Making Sense tour. The initial support band was INXS, then The Pretenders, then just after midnight Talking Heads. Wow!!! It had been a hot day, 38 degrees and still close to that inside the venue and did the crowd go off!!!!!

This morning I retired to the porch with some Charles Hardin Holley, aka Buddy Holly. The profound effect this bloke had on music still ripples to this very day, especially when you also factor in some of the other band-mates, like the Crickets, Waylon Jennings, etc.

A favourite of mine, Not Fade Away. Peppy, audacious, and poignant then and now. /swoon!

Back
Top Bottom