Kickstarter - Interstellar Marines

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Zero Point Software writes in with their Kickstarter for Interstellar Marines: Prologue. The description is a "sci-fi FPS focused on tactical co-op, role-playing and nonlinear gameplay", so hopefully there's more to it than merely shooting. They are looking for $600k over the next 31 days:
Interstellar Marines: Prologue is a sci-fi FPS that offers a unique blend of tactical co-op, progressive role-playing, and nonlinear gameplay, featuring the intense backstory leading up to First Contact – the first game in our ambitious trilogy.
  • Diverse Combat Training: The entire game is built with a variety of fulfilling training scenarios in single-player, co-op and multiplayer.
  • First Person Simulation: We have a razor-sharp focus on creating an immersive First Person Simulator via distinct graphics, sound and gameplay – no more floating cameras!
  • Tactical Co-Op: Prologue is designed from the ground up to support up to 4 players in co-op, with truly cooperative interaction.
  • Progressive Role-Playing: As you train your soldier you gain XP that converts into upgradeable skills on your character, weapon and equipment.
  • Customizable Arsenal: With the latest in near-future weapons and equipment at your disposal, you have the option to fully customize your arsenal on the fly.
  • Rich and Believable AI: In Prologue, we aim to deliver a believable AI that makes every encounter exciting.
  • Simulated Training Environments: Experience an atmospheric training facility built to artificially simulate every conceivable encounter. AI SARA controls the mission variables, making sure every battle is different!
More information.

Another day, another kickstarter. Seems like I can't turn around without bumping into one. It looks like they have put a lot of work into their presentation but there are just too many. It would take something special for me to back my 8th kickstarter at this moment in time.

Why ppl can't type when describing the game they're making (or plan to) does it contain endless respawns or not? Is that so hard to say?

I'm not backing any new project till I see explicitly there is no grinding of mobs that drop endlessly out of thin air inside the game.

Well it looks really interesting, but I too am out of cash for unknown indie kickstarters at the moment. I've spent more on games these past few months than I typically spend in several years.

I do love the Aliens references though. And I'm curious at how they'll be porting all their Unreal Engine code to Unity.

Have they made something in the past? I've never heard of them and they want over half a million? Not happening.

Okay, did a little googling and it looks like they've been trying to build a game for 8 years already and have secured $125,000 in the past and didn't release anything. Not sure why anyone would trust these guys, but I'm sure I don't know the whole story. I'd need some very serious convincing that these guys are legit.

Like I said though, this was a 60 second google impression.

They have a website that allows you to beta test what they have already made after you preorder. It's not bad and I really thought it was going to turn into vaporware.

Link-http://www.interstellarmarines.com/

Meh, seems like an indie imitation of generic AAA shooters to me, except with sharks.

Also, the fact that the pitched game only takes place in some training facility on Earth makes this even less appealing.

Is the trainer module intended to be startup game that will finance the remainder of the series? That's what it seems like. The idea itself and the artwork seem reasonable.

These developers need to stop looking at the money ESTABLISHED developers like inXile, Obsidian, and Double Fine got and stop seeing $$$.

Few if any of these kickstarters from unknown folks are going to be successful if they aim at 100K +

Is it an RPG or does it have RPG's?

In the KS video they say System Shock 2 is one of the influences for this game, but apart from saying that (and showing the game box), I can't see much of RPG elements in it. The "Progressive Role-Playing: As you train your soldier you gain XP that converts into upgradeable skills on your character, weapon and equipment." quote promises some RPG elements, though, but how much that goes beyond gun modification (and such) is anyone's guess.

It looks nice and I dig the KS video (they put a lot of effort into it and I dig the Aliens references a lot too), however, I'm not too sure about the extent of gameplay in it (were it finished). Sure, it might be a great sci-fi FPS if it were the whole deal, but this KS project will only be a "prologue" with the other "chapters" following later, if ever. Too many KS projects backed already, so I'll pass.

I've been loosely following the game since 2006, and think it looks quite promising.

There are definitely going to be "real" RPG elements in the game. There's a quick shot in their GDC 2008 presentation movie which shows a stat screen, I only remember the Reload skill, though. The game will also have a system for upgrading weapons (and possibly gear, I don't remember the details).

For popularity/money - they've made quite a splash a few times, and recently got Greenlit on Steam, so I think 600k is possible.

For those sceptical and/or not willing to spend too much on new Kickstarter projects, there's always the early bird tier ($10) - the game for half the launch price :)

As an aside - they've also mentioned Deus Ex as an inspiration.

I've been loosely following the game since 2006, and think it looks quite promising.

There are definitely going to be "real" RPG elements in the game. There's a quick shot in their GDC 2008 presentation movie which shows a stat screen, I only remember the Reload skill, though. The game will also have a system for upgrading weapons (and possibly gear, I don't remember the details).

For popularity/money - they've made quite a splash a few times, and recently got Greenlit on Steam, so I think 600k is possible.

For those sceptical and/or not willing to spend too much on new Kickstarter projects, there's always the early bird tier ($10) - the game for half the launch price :)

As an aside - they've also mentioned Deus Ex as an inspiration.

See adding stats or rpg elements does not make a game a rpg. From the previews it looks like another Halo game. I've been interested since 2006 also but the game doesn't belong on the site here.

I already preordered before the kickstater to help them. If they can deliver on the mentioned Deus Ex as an inspiration all the better.

Nobody has called it a RPG. From what I've read, it's going to be a FPS/RPG hybrid. Probably with a similar progression system to Deus Ex. Personally I think it would be a shame if RPG Watch stopped writing about hybrid games :)

EDIT: Regarding DE as an inspiration, they've mentioned the multiple solutions aspect as an inspiration. I'm just guessing the RPG system is going to be similar to DE, at least parts of it, as well.

Last edited:
It has story, character progression system, crafting, inventory management, all of them RPG elements so it has to be a RPG.

I like this kind of kickstarters that try to bring some originality to a genre. For me, that should be what KS helps with: provide funding to designers exploring new gameplay. But it appears KS is more about big guys who can find an extra source of funding rather than guys trying to provide a new sauce flavour.

Back
Top Bottom