Things you don't need to know...

Lots of prophecies regarding the end of the World. The 2012 prediction based on the Maya calendar wasn't entirely successful. Come to think of it, none of them has succeeded.

Here's my prediction: January 19, 2038.

This is the day when the 32 bit Unix timestamp will overflow. According to https://www.unixtimestamp.com/index.php

I will overflow by turning (approx.) 2341332000 timestamps units on that very date.

pibbur who asks himself: What about Corwin?

PS: Actually, one of the end of the world prophecies may have succeeded. This one: "There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened" DS.

PPS. It's from "The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy" in case - shame on you - you didn't know. DS.

Last edited:
Because they can.

That also.

pibbur who refrains from doing a lot of things he can do, and wishes for a lot of things he can't. No matter what, inserting head in heating devices (and that other thing) is not and will never be on the repertoire.

Rhinoceros beetles are a subfamily (Dynastinae) of the scarab beetle family. They are among the biggest (largest? Hugest?) beetles. By 1992 200 species were known.

Then.

Another one was discovered, in the Cyclocephala genus. Apparently they weren't too happy with that. They called it Cyclocephala nodanotherwon.

pibbur who would happily aknowledge other pibburs.

PS. On a similar note: In the mid-1930s, physicists thought they knew all the subatomic particles of nature – the proton, neutron, and electron of the atom. However, in 1936 the muon was discovered – a new particle having such surprising properties that Nobel laureate I.I. Rabi quipped, "who ordered that? (https://newatlas.com/standard-model-particle-physics-unexpected-particle/23897/) DS.

PPS: The article above mentions the possible discovery of a new light boson, not predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics, provisionally called E(38). The article is from 2012. I couldn't find current references, so I assume that the discovery has not been confirmed. If confirmed it would be another "Who ordered that" particle. DS.

Last edited:
What lives in my Christmas tree?
Your Christmas tree may be adorned with lights and glitter. But 25,000 insects, mites, and spiders are sound asleep inside the tree.
[…]
There are a number of insects hiding in a Christmas tree, says Associate Professor Bjarte Jordal at the University Museum of Bergen, who goes on to list springtails, bark lice, mites, moths and the odd spider as the creeps most likely to be dragged into the average household come Christmas time.
Note: from Bergen. People from Bergen pay attention to things the rest of us overlook. :)

@NewDArt;.
Ja, gezellig! And if these bugs peek through the window of the doors that lead to the garden, they might even think it is not that bad here. :)

Ps
Big tree. From floor to ceiling. Photo is just a part of it. So lots of bugs. ;)

Last edited:
@NewDArt;.
Ja, gezellig! And if these bugs peek through the window of the doors that lead to the garden, they might even think it is not that bad here. :)

They're more than welcome to enjoy the warmth and the awful singing ;)

Boys will be boys and girls will be girls, and when it comes to clothing they (or rather their parents, when they're very young, which they are assumed to be in this context) they prefer blue and pink, respectively. Right?

Wrong. At least if you were born before 1930. Back then, when selecting baby clothes it was the opposite, blue for girls and pink for boys. Why? And why changing it? And why can't I answer that? I certainly can't tell you.

And while we're at it. "Girl" means a female child, right? Well. Only after year 1500. Because before that "girl" meant just "young person of either sex" (wiktionary). So how could you specify that a girl was a girl? Calling her a "gay girl". A boy would be a "knave girl".

I got this from Stephen Fry (QI) and http://www.historyextra.com/blog/great-misconception, which both are English references. Don't know how it applies to other countries.

pibbur who only likes "pink" when it's about his fiorst cat, or whern it's followed by "floyd".

PS. The Norwegian word for "boy" is "gutt", which apparently derives from dutch "guit", which (according to no.wiktionary.org) means "bragging young male". DS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom