Grimoire Support Group

Why did I read this thread? It made me go from "Nope, I'll never buy that game" to "Well…I can afford 40$". Please stop, I'm trying to behave rationally.

And Luj…you should try being this friendly in all threads, I'm concerned your account has been hacked considering the helpful and non-aggressive tone you've used in this discussion. Pretty damn refreshing.

Sorry for the derail, on topic: Is there any kind of tooltips/help within the game as to what stats affect what etc. or are you all mostly just winging it? Any updates on the fabled manual?

A guy on another board figured out some recipes. Should be a nice starting point considering we know jack about crafting.

Cure light wounds + cure light condition = Cure heavy wounds
Nematic dust + mandrake root
piligrim tea + lithe liquer
Cherry wine + Lithe liquer
Needle darts + ? ( I don't have enough mephistics )
Guache + ? ( I don't have enough mephistics )
Poison dust + ? ( I don't have enough mephistics )
Cure heavy wounds + Cherry wine = neutralize poison
Cure heavy wounds + arsenic
Cure heavy wounds + amaranth
Cure heavy wounds + nightshade
Burning oil + draconic bile
Burning oil + stink bomb = super burning oil
Burning oil + neutral medium
Burning oil + cure light condition = neutralize poison

Last edited:
Is there any kind of tooltips/help within the game as to which stats affect what etc.

Not at all, it's like playing Wizardry 6-7 without a manual. I don't mind that though, it's fun to discover stuff on your own and exchange ideas with other players. Kinda like in the old days.

Not at all, it's like playing Wizardry 6-7 without a manual. I don't mind that though, it's fun to discover stuff on your own and exchange ideas with other players. Kinda like in the old days.

I agree part of the fun can be trying to figure everything out, but at the same time I prefer to make informed decisions when creating characters, and I'd rather not read too many forum spoilers beforehand. SOME information in game (or manual) is pretty crucial.

Last edited:
I agree part of the fun can be trying to figure everything out, but at the same time I prefer to make informed decisions when creating characters, and I'd rather not read to many forum spoilers beforehand. SOME information in game (or manual) is pretty crucial.

A few notes for making characters:

You can't go far wrong if you follow the same principles that worked in Wiz 7. And I reckon most of the attributes (where they correspond) work much as they do in wiz 7. Str for physical, Int for magic users, wis for priest etc. Also Spd and Agi is important. Speed is very important for spellcasters, because it affects how quickly you can get in a debilitating spell, such as silence, and whether that is before the mobs or not.

Most physical attacks are directed at one of the first two characters, so it makes sense to put warrior/beserker (saurian is good I reckon) in those slots. In any case you want to maximise HP for those.

Ranger and scouting is useful. Also get the detect secret spell as early as poss and use it in all areas that are likely to have hidden walls. Buttons can be hard to spot, especially when scouting is low.

Some races appear to have very low mana regeneration as we discussed earlier. This is probably a bug. Currently though Wolfin, Aeorb, burrower, fairy have best mana regeneration. And so maybe right now humans & drow do not make the best spellcasters. I like fairies (!?) for speed etc. and aeorb for spellcaster, but don't take more than one fairy or aeorb, because they require special gear and I doubt Cleve has made lots of it.

When you roll a character and have spare points left over you can use those points as a bonus, which can be put into hitpoints, attributes or skill points (you have to put all of them into just one). I tend to put these into hitpoints for all characters, since that is most useful at the start. Note though that you have to roll certain amount more points (15? not sure) than it takes to qualify for a class before you get any bonus, so you can't ever get bonus points for some classes, such as metalsmith and other require high rolls (the maximum roll is 32). But, also note it isn't all about high rolling, because there is also an additional random element involved in how much hit points and mana you get to start of - so carefully check your character after rolling.

Hope some of that helps. Hardly comprehensive, but in the end as long as you follow the usual principles you should end up with a good party and the rest is about how you prefer to play. Not too much point trying to make an uber party anyway, since the game isn't so hard as to need that. It is difficult at the start though, depending on where you start, because it is almost impossible to "penetrate" with the crap stuff and skills you have at the start.

@Myrthos I'd be happy to write some initial thoughts on the game, but I think I need to at least beat the first area beforehand. At the current rate of play / holidays etc that will be a few weeks. If someone else gets there first then great. :)
Edit: There are clearly concerns about the quality of the game after the first area though, given some of the recent comments on Steam. There are loads of balance issues so far but the maps have been consistently great - if the maps really do decline in quality in the mid-game, as some folk are reporting, that is a real shame.

@Luj1 thanks for the crafting tips. I thought the leaches you find would be useful here but they aren't on the list interestingly. I assume you craft this through the workbench? I'll have a play around with this and see how I get on.

@Tomasp3n yeah come and help us figure out what stuff does! :) Roq's character creation tips are great, I'd just emphasise the bit about giving your front two characters the HP dump option when you're applying your dice rolls. They're going to take a lot of damage in the early game. And try not to be too disheartened by the yellow bugs that have a habit of wiping low level parties.

Last edited:
Take your time, don't want you to rush things.

I agree part of the fun can be trying to figure everything out, but at the same time I prefer to make informed decisions when creating characters, and I'd rather not read to many forum spoilers beforehand. SOME information in game (or manual) is pretty crucial.

There is enough info out there right now to make well-informed decisions.

Wiki Beginner guide
Wiki Attributes
Wiki Professions
Crispy's Grimoire Technical/Gameplay Tips (no spoilers)
Ultimate Party Creation & Reference Guide NO SPOILERS
Cleve's son with some very helpful advice

Besides, you can always ask.

Last edited:
@Luj1 thanks for the crafting tips. I thought the leaches you find would be useful here but they aren't on the list interestingly. I assume you craft this through the workbench?

Yup and I've read somewhere you can also combine items by dragging them onto each other. Leeches remove poison too.

filipepe reports on our twitter that he finished the game and Cleve kicked him off for giving an honest impression. The one thing that stands out to me in his report is a couple of the empty areas Dungeons of the Ancients and Moravia Castle. He confirms the rumour that the areas are really front loaded and backloaded at the end.

DHkGYcrVYAMgtuC.jpg:large

I read that post when it came out. I thought it was reasonable, and everyone who responded to it agreed, even if they liked the game overall. Even Cleve acknowledged that some of the points were valid, even if he got defensive about some things. It's sad that he got banned for it, it makes Cleve look like he's trying to hide how incomplete the later parts of the game are.

This is more of in the vein of the other thread but yeah. You can't be too sensitive about these sort of things and I have read worse even on Steam. He named it being a free key as the issue but I can't see Filip's review saying anything different from anyone else, but maybe Cleve is concerned it will hurt sales if people keep saying to wait for V2.

I posted it here mainly to confirm some existing rumours.

I also came to link the wiki, but lisa anne beat me to it.

It is also posted in the Grimoire thread. And it was not a free key. Felipepepe got it because of his Indiegogo pledge.

So basically that Cleve guy banned someone who paid him money, genuinely enjoyed the game, giving out honest impression for his sake. Classic.

Cure light wounds + cure light condition = Cure heavy wounds
Nematic dust + mandrake root
piligrim tea + lithe liquer
Cherry wine + Lithe liquer
Needle darts + ? ( I don't have enough mephistics )
Guache + ? ( I don't have enough mephistics )
Poison dust + ? ( I don't have enough mephistics )
Cure heavy wounds + Cherry wine = neutralize poison
Cure heavy wounds + arsenic
Cure heavy wounds + amaranth
Cure heavy wounds + nightshade
Burning oil + draconic bile
Burning oil + stink bomb = super burning oil
Burning oil + neutral medium
Burning oil + cure light condition = neutralize poison

found some more recipes

Burning Oil + Cure Lt. Condition = Super Burning Oil (40 - 50 dmg to single foe)
Gauche + poison dust = poison knife (click the "Apply poison" button, not "merge items")
Poison dust + hunting knife = ?
Dracaena Petals + Arsenic = Poison Dust
Woundwort + Amaranth = Bag of Slumber
Woundwort + Cure lt. wounds = Cure Heavy Wounds
Woundwort + Cure lt. condition = Cure Paralysis
Black Lotus + Arsenic = Poison Dust
Harpy Crown + Blood Tamarinde = Blink
Arsenic + Grave Moss = Wolfbane
Arsenic + Coffin Orchid = Sleep Sand
Whiterot + Peckle plantain = Stink Bomb

Last edited:
I posted it here mainly to confirm some existing rumours.

That's a creative way of saying you didn't get enough attention in the other Grimoire thread so you decided to derail this one with your drama :) . Absolutely adorable

Btw that was the same reason felipepe got banned, not because of his review but because he was persistently stirring up drama for no reason but to stir drama and was constantly derailing topics into his self-centered tripe. If you ask me he seemed like a troubled person hungry for attention and would have been banned anywhere at any forum.

Last edited:
Good work on crafting Luj1. It turns out that most of the things I thought were ingredients (like the leeches) and I've been hanging onto (clogging up precious inventory space....) actually have more immediate uses, which is handy to know. Items that cures disease and poison are always useful!

Note that Leeches cause damage and can even kill your squishier characters.

Note that Leeches cause damage and can even kill your squishier characters.

Its never straightforward, is it! :)

Back
Top Bottom