Stygian - Release Day

Hey, this looks intersti… oh, epic store. Can't be arsed to set up yet another game portal atm. Look forward to reading impressions though for 'one day'. Edit: oh no, wait, that was a different game someone was talking about. Hmm, very tempted.

Stygian is on GOG and Steam too. I got mine on GOG.

I look forward to your thoughts.

I posted first impressions on what are you playing, but here you are:
I played for about 2-3 hours yesterday and it plays a bit like a mixture of old-school adventure point & click with RPG spice added to it within a warped and dark world. I think it is really well designed and well done. The game map seems relatively small, but I am certain I would go over 15 hours as there is a lot to read.

I am playing as an academic with speechcraft and occult skills thrown in to be able to open up some more questlines. I think it's working quite well for now. My main concern is that I am very weak in combat for now, but I found a bodyguard and a companion so that helped a lot during my first outing.

First impressions are that this is a fun game (probably) for the following people:
- who enjoy dark stories (not you @Alrik)
- who enjoy investigative RPGs with lots of text
- who enjoy stat based narrative outcomes (e.g. if you have a point in speechcraft you will see options in dialogue which won't be there if that point was in firearms)

Not going near this one, it is just plain Satanic.

Yeah, anyone who plays this sells his soul to the Devil. :rolleyes:

Anyway, redeemed my backer copy on GOG and definitely giving it a spin once I am done with the current game I am playing.

Game is great so far, I'm really enjoying it. It's like a detective CRPG in a strange, alien world. Great stuff.

Despite the devs skipping an option to bump up the text size some, as well as handling their resolution in whatever way that lowering it doesn't help with size but just makes it blurrier, I'm also enjoying it. Paused to make a video wallpaper. :p

I've been waiting forever for a Lovecraftian RPG worth playing. None of the ones that have come out recently, like the two earlier this year, have tempted me. But I heard about, read about, and promptly bought this one and am enjoying it so far. I love the art style. The combat doesn't seem that limited, and it's fine. Combat shouldn't be a frequent thing in a Lovecraft adventure anyway, imo. The writing is solid and the role-playing options seem, well, present.

My only real issue right now is that I'm hanging by a thread after a few fights and have no idea where to rest! They don't let you back in the attic room you start out in. I hope I figure that out before I die, because I don't fancy redoing a bunch of stuff so soon.

I've been waiting forever for a Lovecraftian RPG worth playing. None of the ones that have come out recently, like the two earlier this year, have tempted me. But I heard about, read about, and promptly bought this one and am enjoying it so far. I love the art style. The combat doesn't seem that limited, and it's fine. Combat shouldn't be a frequent thing in a Lovecraft adventure anyway, imo. The writing is solid and the role-playing options seem, well, present.

My only real issue right now is that I'm hanging by a thread after a few fights and have no idea where to rest! They don't let you back in the attic room you start out in. I hope I figure that out before I die, because I don't fancy redoing a bunch of stuff so soon.
You need to pay the bartender to get back in. It costs 40 cigs. Otherwise you can camp outside wherever you see wooden piles if you have camping supplies.

There's a camp site in the area to the left of the bar area near the wall of the University.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

You need to pay the bartender to get back in. It costs 40 cigs. Otherwise you can camp outside wherever you see wooden piles if you have camping supplies.

There's a camp site in the area to the left of the bar area near the wall of the University.

Thanks, Pladio. I know the camp site you're referring to. I'll use that.

I talked to the bartender and asked him for the room, but he just said it was otherwise occupied. It's been that way for a few rations worth of time (so days, I guess….there's no day/night cycle in the game)

@JFarrell71; - I also can't rest - went back to bartender, and he said the same - so bar/tavern is out. Tried resting at the university camp, and was attacked. That sucks. I have asked on the forums what you're supposed to do...but I think it's not great that you can somehow lose access to a safe resting place. I also didn't know how to use spells in combat, so it was tougher than it should have been. I think I know now, however....

Thanks, Pladio. I know the camp site you're referring to. I'll use that.

I talked to the bartender and asked him for the room, but he just said it was otherwise occupied. It's been that way for a few rations worth of time (so days, I guess….there's no day/night cycle in the game)
Yeah you need to trigger a certain quest before he let's you back in. Don't know which one but at some point someone outside the eel house will ask you to do something for him inside it.

Yeah, anyone who plays this sells his soul to the Devil. :rolleyes:

Anyway, redeemed my backer copy on GOG and definitely giving it a spin once I am done with the current game I am playing.

Lucky for me my soul got trapped in Omikron sometime in the 90s and I never managed to get it back. Take that, Satan!

This is one game I definitely regret not backing. Even if it's "short", current price seems reasonable if there's a good amount of replayability.

I've been waiting forever for a Lovecraftian RPG worth playing. None of the ones that have come out recently, like the two earlier this year, have tempted me.

If you're not opposed to using Epic, you should give The Sinking City a try. You can find Epic keys on third-party sites for $25-$30.

Yeah you need to trigger a certain quest before he let's you back in. Don't know which one but at some point someone outside the eel house will ask you to do something for him inside it.

I've been asked to retrieve something for someone in the Eel House attic, but it's still "occupied". Maybe that isn't the necessary trigger, or maybe it's a bug.

I rested at that outdoor camp. I was attacked too, but I just loaded my game and tried again.

If you're not opposed to using Epic, you should give The Sinking City a try. You can find Epic keys on third-party sites for $25-$30.

I've watched several minutes of gameplay to try to get a feel for whether I'd like it. The dialogue seems too bland and stiff for me. Maybe someday.

I've watched several minutes of gameplay to try to get a feel for whether I'd like it. The dialogue seems too bland and stiff for me. Maybe someday.

The dialogue isn't bad, but that's not really what I look for in a Lovecraft game. I'm more interested in the atmosphere.

Quick tips for newbies:
- The game doesn't tell you, but you need rations and rest otherwise you will go hungry and mad. Rations seem relatively plentiful, but just keep a couple in inventory - it autoeats when required. Resting can be done either at the inn or at camp sites for which you need camping suppliers

- The game seems to guide you into lots of quests, but the main quest's difficulty ramps up quickly, so you would need to use side quests to get slightly stronger.

- Some people leave after you speak to them, so seems to me it's worth exhausting conversation options when you can, but not sure about this.

Back
Top Bottom