The Witcher 2 - Patch 1.2 Released

So you would have been completely happy, if they'd given you the same stuff, but would have put it in a chest to open first. :p Cool!

No, I would think better of the game if the items I came across during most of my play were actual upgrades.

There are more powerful items than the Roche jacket and Aerondight pretty soon btw. Roche jacket was +7 armor and the last armor I wore in chapter III had +36 armor. That's still a pretty wide range. The same goes for Aerondight. That had max 18 damage (I think) and the last sword I used had 60 (at least with runes). Again, a very wide range. Most swords I found had different stats, so I disagree, that players couldn't upgrade several times throughout the game. I switched swords frequently.

This isn't about Roche armor. It's about the Alchemy gloves and Magical Pants.

I don't know the sword in question. I'm talking about the swords available through exploration and crafting, versus what the Mysterious Merchant sells in each chapter. No real upgrades except for the end of chapter 2 and onwards. Perhaps a few marginally better or different stats - but overall they nullify a lot of the weapon upgrades.

PS: Just one news under this one, people complain that the Fable III DLCs weren't already built into the PC release of the game and have to be bought separately… :D

It's helpful if people learn to separate distinct complaints.

No one - and I do mean no one - is complaining about DLC being available free. We're saying it would be best if these items weren't included by default - but that they should be a distinct choice. Probably through "enabling" them in the DLC content menu.

That way, players could get a better experience without having overpowered items available in-game - without even realising it.

It should be a pretty simple thing to understand, but apparently it's about arrogance and elitism.

That way, players could get a better experience without having overpowered items available in-game - without even realising it.

It should be a pretty simple thing to understand, but apparently it's about arrogance and elitism.
Now that you mention it: Yes it would indeed appear to be the case. You simply can not put these 2 sentences next to each other without being thought of as arrogant. I mean, who are you to judge what makes a singleplayer game a good experience to play for anyone other than yourself?

Now that you mention it: Yes it would indeed appear to be the case. You simply can not put these 2 sentences next to each other without being thought of as arrogant. I mean, who are you to judge what makes a singleplayer game a good experience to play for anyone other than yourself?

Oh, so I'm arrogant because I'd like for these items to be a matter of choice through a DLC menu?

I'm arrogant because I think these items are ruining the loot-flow - and that people would probably get a better experience without them?

I'm not trying to take these items away from you. As I said already, use them if you think the game is too hard without them.

I'm just trying to make it plain that I think they're unsuited for the game - based on my experience. I can't wish away my experience with the game - and pretend that balance was any different.

Don't you think you're being a little over-defensive? Obviously, you think the game is really hard - so anyone suggesting that powerful items shouldn't be given at the start of the game - AUTOMATICALLY - are obviously arrogant and elitist, right?

It can't possibly be because they actually care about the game and its balance.

No … what you wrote was this:

I admit that I may be reading it wrong, but the way I interpret what you're saying is like this (colourful language added for emphasis):

My suggestion makes the gaming experience better for everyone - even if they're too frigging stupid to realize it

There is nothing wrong with your suggestion of making the inclusion of the items in the game optional in the main menu. The problem, as I see it, is that both you and DeepO are pretty much saying that the average Witcher 2 gamer is not smart enough to realize whether or not an added item ruins the game balance for them … that is where my arrogance detection meter starts beeping.

Besides, the added items aren't really anything to write home about. Sure, in the prologue perhaps, but even in Flotsam I've pretty much discarded all the bonus items to save space in my oh so tiny backpack. The problem I had with the Endrega queens was that it could kill me with 2 blows. An armour with +9 instead of +7 armour value really doesn't make any difference in this case. The same with the nekker mobs. It was the 200% damage when hit in the back that was the killer, not whether or not my sword dealt only 12-15 damage instead of 14-18 and only sufficient level so the other skill trees unlock could help with that problem.

No … what you wrote was this:

I admit that I may be reading it wrong, but the way I interpret what you're saying is like this (colourful language added for emphasis):

My suggestion makes the gaming experience better for everyone - even if they're too frigging stupid to realize it

There is nothing wrong with your suggestion of making the inclusion of the items in the game optional in the main menu. The problem, as I see it, is that both you and DeepO are pretty much saying that the average Witcher 2 gamer is not smart enough to realize whether or not an added item ruins the game balance for them … that is where my arrogance detection meter starts beeping.

I think you have a serious problem with your self-esteem, if the opinion of other people regarding game balance has to be interpreted so negatively, and taken so personally.

It's like you WANT to read this comment on balance as an attack on your ability to play the game.

It's a game, nothing more. Even if you DID suck at the game, who cares? Games are entertainment - nothing more. Some people like to invest themselves in games, and that's why they excel at them. Other people just want to sit down and have fun without too much hassle. Nothing wrong with that.

But all that has nothing to do with my point, which is that a FIRST TIME player obviously CAN'T know how items affect balance. Not even Einstein would be able to determine that as a first time player.

So, get over it already.

Besides, the added items aren't really anything to write home about. Sure, in the prologue perhaps, but even in Flotsam I've pretty much discarded all the bonus items to save space in my oh so tiny backpack. The problem I had with the Endrega queens was that it could kill me with 2 blows. An armour with +9 instead of +7 armour value really doesn't make any difference in this case. The same with the nekker mobs. It was the 200% damage when hit in the back that was the killer, not whether or not my sword dealt only 12-15 damage instead of 14-18 and only sufficient level so the other skill trees unlock could help with that problem.

Again, this isn't about overpowered weapons as much as it's about a lack of meaningful upgrades, especially in the later chapters.

The Endrega Queen?
Use Aard and dodge = easy kill.

I have to say that the blocking/parrying has definitely been improved - Geralt blocks way more effectively now when fighting multiple opponents, and he's quicker to block in general.

On the downside, I do now get a "looking for disk in drive D:" error now when I load up the game, which had me cussing and shaking my fist at the screen. Thankfully, I'm able to cancel right past it and the game fires up normally.

The Blue Stripes jacket does look cool, but I'm sticking w/ the classic Witcher look. The pants however look pretty, welll… feh :roll:

Haven't had time to try out the new patch so THANK YOU, THANK YOU , THANK YOU for posting something not related to the dlc. It's getting very stale.

I think you have a serious problem with your self-esteem, if the opinion of other people regarding game balance has to be interpreted so negatively, and taken so personally.

It's like you WANT to read this comment on balance as an attack on your ability to play the game.

It's a game, nothing more. Even if you DID suck at the game, who cares? Games are entertainment - nothing more. Some people like to invest themselves in games, and that's why they excel at them. Other people just want to sit down and have fun without too much hassle. Nothing wrong with that.

But all that has nothing to do with my point, which is that a FIRST TIME player obviously CAN'T know how items affect balance. Not even Einstein would be able to determine that as a first time player.

So, get over it already.

Uhm ... yeah, okay, whatever.

I should have learned by now that debating with you is like talking to a wall. Consider this a lesson learned :salute:...

*wanders off searching for the ignore button*

You're not the accountable sort, so I definitely think you'd prefer people like myself on ignore :)

Back
Top Bottom