The digital download storage hijacking thread

Yeah me too. I am disappointed from what I've seen there.

You know I still get a craving to replay PoR:RoMD, but then my backlog reminds me not to. :)

I actually never really played it - based on feedback from others. The original PoR is one of my top games of all time - so I didn't want to ruin it. But I've considered it several times over the years... Maybe I'll try it someday :)

Poor Pibbur's thread got totally hijacked. :)

Can a mod please move this discussion starting with #409 to a new thread?

I think we were finished :)

However, if anyone wishes to breathe on the remaining embers.....

I think we were finished :)

However, if anyone wishes to breathe on the remaining embers…..

Allow me burn baby burn.:cm::whip:

Simple solution have multiple hd backups as stated most internet company's have bandwidth limiting no exceptions. Unlimited is a lie and its not coming back unless your willing to fork over $200 a month.

I am almost moved to my new Win 7 laptop (yes, Win 8 is off the table). I had a huge number of games to delete off my old laptop.

What do people do with all their digital game downloads? I must have had around 200GB to transfer. Very slow process.

All my downloads (games and otherwise) reside on my Windows Home Server, so what I do with the individual PC's is irrelevent. Additionally, my WHS backs up to CrashPlanPlus online (slow, but encrypted and unlimited). Finally anything I REALLY don't want to ever lose is burned to Blu-Rays and put in my fireproof safe. I basically do a backup of anything new or altered every month or two.

Yes, I am paranoid!

Found this:

The recordable media used in red laser disc technology like DVD's and CD's is an organic dye that is very sensitive to light. Blu-ray disks, however, use a combination of silicon and copper which is bonded during the burning process, this alloy is much more resilient than the organic dye. Manufacturers claim a life span from 100 up to 150 years for Blu-ray disks.✝

No I think that is talking about bought BR's, not burned ones, but it seems reasonable that they would last at least 10-20 years. I keep mine in sleves in the locked safe, so they aren't getting degraded by light (or temperature) either.

And discs are pretty cheap now. I think my last 25 spindle was something like $15.

You know most of my CD-R's that failed were kept inside out of direct sunlight (and artificial light), and they still failed. I wouldn't be surprised if they just degrade with age via oxidation. To be safe, if I was really anal, I'd vacuum pack them, and put them in the freezer. ;)

I am almost moved to my new Win 7 laptop (yes, Win 8 is off the table). I had a huge number of games to delete off my old laptop.

What do people do with all their digital game downloads? I must have had around 200GB to transfer. Very slow process.

My primary drive is 320GB (2 SSDs in Raid0), not a lot to work with, especially as I have some creative apps and work stuff which take up a lot of space.

I keep a couple of games installed permanently, Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, (took so long to get my mod list just right, I will probably never delete) and the rest I delete and then download from Steam again whenever I want to play it. Have a pretty good internet connection, so it only takes about 10-15 minutes to download most games.

Back
Top Bottom