Witcher Sound problem… Please Help

The Witcher

Warmskin

Watcher
I installed The Witcher for the first time the other day and I'm really enjoying it. I'm playing the enhanced edition, patch 1.5, director's cut. All the sound is great except when I enter or leave *any* building I get a loud noise. Something like a very loud hiss that lasts for just a second. I have a new machine with *very good* specs except the sound is just an on-board variety (built in). Could this be the problem? Do I need to install an actual soundcard to get around this? Has anyone else run into this? Thanks very much…

Well, the system tray at the bottom right of Windows actually has 3 different icons pertaining to sound. One says 'SB X-Fi MB' and the other says 'Realtek HD Audio Manager'. The third icon is a volume control which says 'Realtek High Definition Audio' after stating the actual volume and the word 'Speakers'. The reason I'm giving you all this info is because it's the first machine I've ever bought without an actual 'soundcard'. Fastest machine by far, but the worst sound (I guess). Although, it really sounds fine to me. I just finished BioShock and I thought the sound was great (catching up on some old games now that I finally have a powerful machine). Thanks again for the help.

Wait, it has a soundcard *and* an on-board sound chip?? That's what it seems anyways.

I just purchased a new system as well and have been playing through Risen and replaying the Witcher and I have noticed this sound on menu screens and such and have search on the net and from what I can tell, it's a high pitch given off from your video card when it's computing a game in the 100+ frames per second. While in game, it can't do 100+, so there's no sound, it's called something like a digital *khsdjhf,* sorry, forgot the word. One way to get around it is to put Vsync on, either in the game or force it through your video card. I also had this problem on the Tropico 3 demo. It has since fixed the problem for me. From what I've read, nothing bad is happening to your system, just when it's running that fast, it makes this digital sound. Try the Vsync and let me know if that helps.

To: JDR13
No, I think it would have listed in the specs if there was a soundcard. Maybe there is just a bunch of 'crapware' that came with the computer. I don't know. If I go to 'personalization' (right click on the desktop) and then click on 'sounds' and open the tab that says 'playback' it lists 2 icons. One says 'Speakers, Realtek High Definition Audio, Working' (with a green checkmark next to 'working'). The other icon says' Realtek HDMI Output *with no* checkmark next to 'working'. (I am not using any HDMI cables)
Back up to the 'Recording' tab, the only thing with a green checkmark is 'Stereo Mix, Realtek HD Audio with the checkmark next to 'working'. I see no mention anywhere in these boxes of anything other than Realtek. How can I tell exactly what I have? Thanks again. Excuse my lack of knowledge here, but I have spent the last 5 years or so with 'XP', I frankly find 'Vista' very confusing.
On another subject. I am experiencing red 'specks' floating on the screen *sometimes* at night. At first I thought it might be some kind of effect, but when I went into a dark cellar and saw them again it seems like something's wrong. I have a nVidia GTX 285 with a i7 950 processor. Thanks very much.

Those red specks appear when Geralt is intoxicated by drinking too many potions. It starts getting really noticeable when the green bar below the health bar reaches 50% or so. It's a warning sign that Geralt should keep it down a little or rest before drinking any more.

As for SadExchange's tip about turning on VSync, I think that's a very good idea in general, particularly if you've got an LCD monitor that can only do 60Hz anyway. I found it stabilizes everything a bit in various games and have since forced it on in my NVidia Control Panel. Even if your in-game FPS is < 60, in menus or while loading it might jump *very* high if VSync is turned off.

I forced VSync on globally, but no change. Still getting the loud, well, it sounds something like an explosion that only lasts a split second whenever I enter or exit a building of any kind. Nowhere else in the game…
Thanks.

Isn't that normal? It does that on my computer too.

Well, I sure hope it's *not* normal. Doesn't seem right to me... How do I tell which driver to d/l for my 'Realtek' sound chip? Anyone? Thanks.

Well, I sure hope it's *not* normal. Doesn't seem right to me… How do I tell which driver to d/l for my 'Realtek' sound chip? Anyone? Thanks.

What I don't understand is why your system tray lists a 'SB X-Fi MB' and a Realtek device, the X-Fi chip is made by Creative Labs, and Realtek is a different company. I've never heard of both being on the same motherboard.

Well, disregard that last request. I just checked Windows and the 'Device Manager' and under 'Sound' it had me check for the latest drivers. It told me I'm already up to date. So, what goes on here? *How do I fix this problem.* It's not just in and out of buildings, it's also caves, too. Thanks.

What I don't understand is why your system tray lists a 'SB X-Fi MB' and a Realtek device, the X-Fi chip is made by Creative Labs, and Realtek is a different company. I've never heard of both being on the same motherboard.

I know, it doesn't seem to make sense. I do know that I *don't* have an actual physical soundcard installed, though.

Realtix sound drivers will not show on a regular windows update. Visit realtix site and let it run the drivers check for you. As to the other, if you just got the system you should be able to get some tech support from the manufacturer or seller I would think.
Geralt does show various altered visions depended on if drunk, or poisoned. One too many potions and he will be poisoned to the point of seeing the specks vade in and out on the screen.

Just wanted to post this update to my problem with this and for anyone else who might be experiencing these kind of sound 'glitches'. I d/l'd a mod called 'Silence is Golden' and it fixed the problem completely. At least for as much as I've tested so far. In and out of about a half dozen buildings and the 'cave' a couple of times. No sound 'scratch/explosion/white noise' or whatever you want to call it. Fingers crossed, but it seems to have worked. Silence *IS* golden... ;)

Post a link if you can? ;)

Thanks, that will help the next person having issues who stolls here for help. :)

Back
Top Bottom