Demon's Rise: Lords of Chaos - Released

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Demon's Rise: Lords of Chaos has been released on Steam to a 40% discount.

About This Game

You are no hero … no prancing knight or scholarly wizard but a champion of the dark gods. As their chosen, you have command of legions of barbarians, beastmen and demons. Wield unholy strength, necromancy and hellfire to bring ruin to the civilized realms. Honor your gods on the bloody fields of battle in a quest for power and ascension.

Demon’s Rise: Lords of Chaos is a turn-based, tactical RPG set in a brutal and unforgiving fantasy world. Taking place amidst a horrific war in the cold north, the campaign will see your party fight innumerable enemies, huge monsters and powerful sorcerers. Victory will require the tactical use of terrain, morale, formations and magic. Build an increasingly powerful war band, command demonic allies, and crush those that stand against you.

• Tactical Choices: Use terrain effects, cover and line of sight to gain an edge over your enemies. Employ spells to hinder powerful enemies, area effect damage to clear the field of lesser foes and buffs to strengthen your allies.

• Build Your Party: Choose from 20 diverse character classes to build your war band. Your warriors will improve with every victory, becoming stronger and unlocking new powers and skills. Acts of courage and savagery on the battlefield will bring favor from your gods, which can mean the difference between glory and defeat.

• Collect Gear: Equip your warriors with powerful weapons, arcane objects, runic armor and legendary artifacts. There are thousands of items to find and collect, each with their own stat effects and background lore.

• Campaign: Fight through a lengthy campaign and numerous side quests that span more than 80 hours of play time. No level caps and the ability to replay levels at a harder difficulty add to the longevity.

• Engaging Lore: Immerse yourself in the history of Tarren, the world of Demon’s Rise. A land of broken empires and shattered kingdoms where armies of humans, demons and other races fight for bitter survival.
More information.

Mobile version awarded RPG of the year for 2016 by Pocket Tactics.

Usually I'd ask why the port when we have Bluestacks and Nox on PC, but that current price of 3.41€ seems good considering what inferior hardware the game originally comes from. Also it's one of rare phonegames that doesn't contain scamware called "in-app purchases".
If anyone tries it on Steam, please do share impressions.

If I can play and be an evil prat, I'll certainly be getting this. Not sure when I'll get to playing it, as Avernum three is keeping me quite busy.

Usually I'd ask why the port when we have Bluestacks and Nox on PC, but that current price of 3.41€ seems good considering what inferior hardware the game originally comes from. Also it's one of rare phonegames that doesn't contain scamware called "in-app purchases".

I'll come back with impressions, looks like I'll be buying.

I'm waiting to see what folks here say, but it looks okay.

At $4, I couldn't resist. Very early impressions, as I just messed around with it for 15 min. or so:

It is a phone port to PC. It ran fine on my small convertible laptop with Intel HD 5500 integrated graphics on highest settings, with one small exception. If I turned on post-process effects, it got a bit choppy.

You choose a squad of six pre-made characters. No character creation. There is a decent list of unusual classes to choose from, like succubus and demon knights and such. I could be wrong, but there doesn't appear to be any leveling up. The characters do have stats, such as attack and dodge ratings and such. Number of attacks and counter attacks per round seem to be important. You do gear up your guys with loot and a store. Gear adds bonuses, such as +1 counter attack per round. Each character also appears to have its own largely unique cooldown abilities.

It appears hub based. You essentially have a menu and choose side quests or campaign missions from a menu….or the store…or inventory. It appears to be a series of set-piece battles and randomish fights you can take in whatever order you like. The story doesn't appear to be forefront, although there appears to be narrative with a "skip" button before each battle. Story looks skippable and is not in the way of what appears to be the heart of the game, a series of turn-based battles with your squad.

I like playing lighterweight games on my small convertible laptop. This phone port had a couple oddities. I was hoping to fold away my keyboard and play with only my touch screen, but proper touch controls don't seem to be implemented. At least, I couldn't find a way to do anything but select a unit or tile…couldn't move with just touch. Keyboard and mouse work fine, though. Unfortunately, camera rotation isn't mapped to the mouse's right or middle mouse buttons. You have to rotate the camera with Q and E, so I couldn't fold away my keyboard completely and use only a mouse, either.

It's probably too early to draw a firm conclusion, but here goes anyway. At $4, this game seems fine for a light tactics game on my lower-end laptop. But then I start to wonder why I'm not playing Battle Brothers or Expeditions: Viking, which the same laptop plays just fine. They cost more, sure, but my time may be better spent with one of those games of greater depth. Although, I can't really speak to whether the tactical battles themselves may make the game great, as I didn't spend enough time with them. I suspect the fights are probably better than $4 good, but they didn't look groundbreaking. Of course, Battle Brothers' combat isn't groundbreaking, either, it is just made really well. So, I guess I have no real opinion yet about the real heart of the game, its battles, as I haven't spent enough time with them yet.

So now that I've played this game, here are some thoughts:

-Tile terrain effects are cool, standing on certain tiles grants you bonuses.
-I wish they'd add high ground, which would affect line of sight, and give elevation bonuses
-Destructible environment and cover would be cool.
-Most of the customization comes through equipment, I wish characters had individual skill trees.
-It would be nice if the 'esc' key would exit you out of various menus, rather than reaching for buttons. For instance, the shop windows it would be nice to close with one press of esc.
-Asking us to confirm our turn is annoying. I clicked the button, get on with it.
-Game gets extremely grindy, as you have to level up characters to take on new missions. In this case, I wish the game were a little shorter, with more real missions, and less filler.

As to the comments about what classes fit what roles, not every games needs to have a caste system like support, dps, tank. Read the descriptions of the classes, and the stats, and you can change your characters in game. This is really a non-issue. Personally, I love the wide berth of creative class types, and that is what drove me to buy the game.

The game reminds me a lot of Heroes of Might & Magic, just the combat bits. If you enjoy lighthearted fun, give it a try. I know I've listed a lot of negatives, but the game kept me hooked for over two hours, even with the grind. Well worth $4.00.

Well that's sounding better and better, thanks for the feedback on this product and the next time I fire up steam, I'm getting this. It can sit in my vault till I have the time to deal with it proper-like.

Back
Top Bottom