Fort Triumph - Review @ Screenrant

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Screenrant has reviewed Fort Triumph:

Fort Triumph Review: A Smart, Well-Executed Genre Blend

Fort Triumph deftly blends the genres of turn-based tactics and strategy, neatly wrapping them up in a masterfully deconstructed fantasy package.

Exiting Steam Early Access after two years of player feedback and iteration is Fort Triumph, a turn-based strategy-tactical RPG hybrid with a lot of personality and robust, engaging gameplay. The ambitious title was developed by CookieByte Entertainment, a small Tel Aviv studio who crowdfunded the project on Kickstarter. Its roots run deep in the Dungeons & Dragons Western RPG tradition, relying on the genre's well-trodden themes, faces, and design conceits, while its simple, refined art style rests between that of its digital cousins World of Warcraft and League of Legends. Despite its familiar comforts, the game boasts a disarmingly sharp sense of humor and self-awareness, and its multiple campaigns provide more replayability than its $25 price tag lets on.

[...]

Aside from those minor complaints, CookieByte Entertainment has built a rock-solid composite of turn-based strategy and tactics gameplay, and the end result is easily on-par with the XCOM franchise and Obsidian Entertainment's best modern efforts. Its combat is smart and entertaining, its story and humor are exemplary, and most of what little it currently lacks or could improve upon will likely be ironed out post-launch, as the game has been well-supported and player-focused since its early access development period began. Fort Triumph is worthy of any PC player's time, especially lovers (or even haters) of the fantasy RPG genre.
More information.

It's 100% worth every penny. This does for the X-Com genre what Powerstone 2 did for the fighting game genre--in fact, if it had multiplayer, it would almost be like a turn-based Powerstone, in terms of physics and environmental reactivity. It puts clichés on their head, then spins them around until they get dizzy.

If only it wouldn't look like a cheap mobile game.
I'll never get why they chose these horrible mobile gacha aesthetics... there's just no way I can enjoy anything that looks like this game.

If only they had gone with, well, any other style.

It doesn't look cheap....it looks very well made.

It doesn't look cheap….it looks very well made.

I never get over the irony of people who says graphics aren't gameplay, then criticize a game for its art style. Then these same people go and buy retro games on GOG, and don't complain about low-rez 2D graphics from 20 years ago.

I am not sure whether they're trying to be "deep" or are just hipsters.

I'm quite pleased to see such a good review on this, I sponsored it some time ago and look forward to giving it a thorough vetting at some point!!

Sadly, while it's visuals look good to me, I have to skip it. The reason:
Explore procedurally generated maps

Other than that, does it even have a story?

Yes it does.

Yes, it's much like a Heroes of Might & Magic game, with an X-Com tactical layer, if LGS had done the design docs. Currently my favorite game on Steam.

Back
Top Bottom