GPU Price Issues

Most of the games I play aren't even available on console, but I checked a few on the US Amazon site, like ME:A and Prey, and they were indeed a few bucks cheaper on console. And that's not even getting into the used physical versions… I think just-released games are a completely different situation tho.

I only purchase PC titles through digital download nowadays, and PC games still seem significantly cheaper to me when using some of the third-party digital stores like Green Man Gaming or CDKeys.com.

It doesn't surprise me that physical copies would cost more though. Boxed PC games are no longer produced in large quantites like they used to be. Console titles vastly outsell their physical PC counterparts which is probably why you can now get them as cheap or cheaper.

Interestingly, the new Ryzen APUs are so good, that their on-board graphics make the lower end GPUs obsolete. So if anyone is thinking of getting a GTX 1030 or RX 560, don't even bother. Just buy a Ryzen 5 instead. Witcher 3 with onboard graphics anyone? :

Man, you should just say one small chip instead of Playstation rubbish.
Both can run it, neither can hairworks it. ;)

Man, you should just say one small chip instead of Playstation rubbish.
Both can run it, neither can hairworks it. ;)

Can't stick a better GPU in a Playstation down the road though!

Thing is, though, I know a good number of people that really don't want to know about the idea of a PC platform and its extra complexity, and really just want their devices to be appliances that meet their convenience. A funny thing is, they are usually the same people that dislike fantasy and sci-fi, and prefer more real-world based settings of conflict. Which might go some way to explain the dominance of franchises like FIFA, Madden, and COD.

Thing is, though, I know a good number of people that really don't want to know about the idea of a PC platform and its extra complexity, and really just want their devices to be appliances that meet their convenience.

Hence the name "console peasants"!

But yes yes pros/cons. I have 3 consoles myself.

If you want to get a video card at the real price, not the jacked up prices, I'd suggest using http://nowinstock.net , or similar sites (if there are any out there). You can have it send you an alert via text msg, or whatever, when various sites get stock of the card(s) you're interested in.

Not sure what the scene is like in the UK, but in the US for example, Amazon itself will never price-gouge the video cards (only 3rd party vendors on Amazon do). So, if Amazon itself has stock, the card will be around MSRP, maybe lower. Might be the same for NewEgg, I'm not sure.

That's how I got my GTX 1080 Ti - I set an alert at nowinstock.net, got a text at 3 or 4AM some morning, ran to my computer and placed the order. It was out of stock (and price gouged by 3rd party sellers again) just mere minutes later.

Glancing at the UK nowinstock.net trackers, it looks like the cheapest prices (probably MSRP) are mostly at Amazon UK. But when stuff comes in stock there, it's staying in stock for a few hours (see the "Recent Stock History" section by scrolling down below the cards). So shouldn't be too much of a problem getting an order in if you set up an alert?

wow, just had a a look at local prices for a high-end card - shocking! I still have my GTX 980 and it's fit for purpose (mostly - I don't do stereo/VR etc, or game in 4K) so no plans to upgrade anytime soon...and if did, those prices convinced me otherwise. An MSI GTX1080Ti retails for $1400 here!? What is the avg retail in the USA?

Depends on the particular model since there's such a huge array of choices now even within the same card (like 1080 Ti). There are a lot of 1080 Ti's you can get on Amazon US for <$800 though…when they're in stock. Of course they only stay in stock for 10 minutes or so, that's where the nowinstock.net alerts come in.

1080 Ti examples:

Feb 13 2018 - 11:56 AM EST Amazon - ZOTAC ZT-P10810D-10P Out of Stock
Feb 13 2018 - 11:47 AM EST Amazon - ZOTAC ZT-P10810D-10P In Stock for $739.99

Feb 12 2018 - 3:39 AM EST Amazon - MSI GTX 1080 Ti AERO 11G OC Out of Stock
Feb 12 2018 - 3:30 AM EST Amazon - MSI GTX 1080 Ti AERO 11G OC Preorder for $739.00

Feb 10 2018 - 12:52 PM EST Amazon - EVGA 11G-P4-6393-KR Out of Stock
Feb 10 2018 - 12:43 PM EST Amazon - EVGA 11G-P4-6393-KR Preorder for $740.95

If you want to get a video card at the real price, not the jacked up prices, I'd suggest using http://nowinstock.net , or similar sites (if there are any out there). You can have it send you an alert via text msg, or whatever, when various sites get stock of the card(s) you're interested in.

Not sure what the scene is like in the UK, but in the US for example, Amazon itself will never price-gouge the video cards (only 3rd party vendors on Amazon do). So, if Amazon itself has stock, the card will be around MSRP, maybe lower. Might be the same for NewEgg, I'm not sure.

That's how I got my GTX 1080 Ti - I set an alert at nowinstock.net, got a text at 3 or 4AM some morning, ran to my computer and placed the order. It was out of stock (and price gouged by 3rd party sellers again) just mere minutes later.
Thanks
The now in stock website works for the UK too.

I'll check it out when I'm home

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

NVIDIA should be getting close to at least announcing the Volta series.. whether its an 1180 or a 2080.

Regarding used cards whenever the crash happens... seems to me like those used cards are going to be VERY used, running serious programs 24/7.

NVIDIA should be getting close to at least announcing the Volta series.. whether its an 1180 or a 2080.

Regarding used cards whenever the crash happens… seems to me like those used cards are going to be VERY used, running serious programs 24/7.

Slightly used or very used won't make a frame-rate difference.

The problem is if they run (very) hot the memory might develop latent failure. Sadly this sort of failure causes crashes and corruption under stress (parity errors); and generally not our-right failure to run.

Slightly used or very used won't make a frame-rate difference.

Yeah, I was thinking more about the lifetime of the card. If you were to get a used 1080Ti right now, you would expect it to have years left before it burns out. If it's a crypto-leftover, though, it could already have 5000 hours on it. Video cards haven't got odometers on them.

Back
Top Bottom