Elex Elex I don't know....

I don't remember exactly the first time I actually noticed stronger monsters spawning in place of lesser enemies, but I think I was in the high 20's level-wise.

I don't remember exactly the first time I actually noticed stronger monsters spawning in place of lesser enemies, but I think I was in the high 20's level-wise.

Interesting, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.

There's definitely some exaggerating here in regards to the respawning. :)

It's not one of those games where you can clear an area and it'll be repopulated the next day. It takes a fair amount of in-game time before anything spawns in an area you cleared.

Also, I didn't notice level-scaled spawns in my game until I was level 25+

Fwiw, you can prolong the amount of time before an area respawns by not looting the bodies of the creatures you killed.

According to some folks on Steam, it's also only in some select spots, not everywhere. ELEX also has Gothic-style respawns between chapters.

The main difference seems that they added respawns during chapters, but in limited amounts and specific areas, i.e. Gothic-style.

Just strange that I haven't even seen it yet. But I do play slowly and prolonged joining a faction and moving the story forward.

It's more like spawning than respawning. I noticed new monsters sometimes in areas where I hadn't yet cleared the old ones. I think it might be based on a combination of game time and player level.

It's more like spawning than respawning. I noticed new monsters sometimes in areas where I hadn't yet cleared the old ones. I think it might be based on a combination of game time and player level.

Huh. I remember that happening in Gothic in a slightly different way. If you didn't kill, say, a pack of scavengers in Chapter 1, when the chapter respawns happened there may be extra enemies in that area along with the original scavengers. Led to some interesting sights to see, too (pack of 8 or 9 scavengers squawking around. :p )

Interesting though. You may be right about game time and player level. Thanks for the info.

From a technical standpoint, it's very solid. I'd say wait for 1 more patch, and the only reason I even say that is because there's apparently one in the works right now.

Any word on what they're fixing?

I watched a combat video, and there really is a lot of player skill involved. This may be why I am having trouble with the game. I love everything else about the game, though.

After 4 1/2 hours I’m in the “I don’t know” camp as well.

The combat seems extremely clunky although that was expected from PB. The animations are terribly slow and the hit box are way off. It probably doesn’t help that I’m playing nioh at the moment as well. Nioh is a fluid well oiled machine combat wise. I’m hoping maybe when I raise my stat thing will be better.

It’s early but I’m not finding the great exploration I keep reading about. I’ve found some weapons, armor, elex and enough cigarettes to choke even Joxer. I actual like being rewarded with weapons and armor for exploring but since 99% of what I find is level and stat gated it doesn’t feel rewarding at all.

Maybe I’m too used to dark souls type games but everything in this game seems level or stat gated. I had a simple quest that required only dialogue but I couldn’t complete it because I didn’t meet the stat requirements for 2 of the responses and didn’t have enough elex shard for the last response.

I don’t really mind the difficulty. I just dodge the enemies and take a few swipes at them. If I don’t really damage them then I jet pack away. The jet pack is pretty fun and an effective get out of jail free card for difficult encounters.

The jet pack can cause some weirdness though. I jet packed into the pit and grabbed everything there then walked over by a guard. Cutscene starts guard tells me I’m not authorized to Enter the pit that I’m already in and throughly looted and screen goes black, then I’m teleported about 10 feet out of the pit. Another instance I jetpacked into a town in the dessert then when I go to leave a guy tells me I need to pay him to enter even though I’ve already explored the town and got a quest from the guy in charge.

So far dialogue also seems long winded and boring. I do like the variety in scenery and the game seems absolutely huge.

I’ve just been running around and exploring. I’ve done very few quest. I think I’ll restart and play more quest focuse and see if I enjoy it more. It worked for the Witcher 3 but I don’t expect to find writing at the level here.

I’m not giving up on the game but first impression has been rough.

Elex was fun for a little while, but I found the loot boring and the voice actor for Jax bored me to death too. Emotionless probably isn't the best choice for entertainment. Still, overall I thought it was fairly decent; at least in Bezerkville which was where I spent most of my time. I hope it picks up for you, KemoSaki.

The combat seems extremely clunky although that was expected from PB. The animations are terribly slow and the hit box are way off. It probably doesn’t help that I’m playing nioh at the moment as well. Nioh is a fluid well oiled machine combat wise. I’m hoping maybe when I raise my stat thing will be better.

The combat doesn't just seem clunky, it is clunky. It gets better though once you've raised your stamina and learned some skills. Not sure what you mean about the animations being slow. Slow compared to what? I also rarely had an issue with the hit box except for a couple of the larger monsters (trolls, cyclops) who sometimes registered hits without making definite contact.

My personal problem is I'll never play Dark Soul nor Nioh that aren't really RPG. So perhaps combats are clunky, but they are more fun than those of Elder Scroll series, The Witcher series and many other RPG with similar combats. Also Batman/Morder combats got a lot of praise, but I don't find them better from far.

Well, I think I know... I had high hopes as a Gothic fan and interrupted my DOS2 to try it but I found Elex very disappointing. I tried several times to get into it but I've given up and have gone back to finish DOS2. After Risen3, I might have to reconsider my PB fan status.

I didn't care for the game. Yes the world is big and full of flowers and toilet papers to collect, but gameplay-wise it was not to my liking. I decided to play as a ranged cleric supporting his companion on battles and played the whole game that way, but once again PB decided to change the rules for the last battle and had me without a companion (had to watch the ending in youtube).

Didn't like the level-scaled respawns, the super-high-density of level-scaled mobs everywhere I went, how stats were so restricted (5x for a stat point, seriously?), the lack of character progression (I used the same cleric gloves and abilities for 95% of the game), etc. Definitely not my type of game.
As in Gothic 2 only the close combat really worth it. Looks like you used some magic/long range way, firstly it's the easy mode past many level up and some key upgrades for magic, secondly it's the superficial mode, that is there isn't much to learn.

Close combat is deeper, more interesting, there's a huge learning curve with a ton to learn. If you skip that aspect, the gameplay design lost a part of its balance.

But G2 had a similar problem, remove the combat learning and it is good but far as good than with combat learning that is close combat as there isn't much to learn in other types of combats.

Elex was fun for a little while, but I found the loot boring and the voice actor for Jax bored me to death too. Emotionless probably isn't the best choice for entertainment. Still, overall I thought it was fairly decent; at least in Bezerkville which was where I spent most of my time. I hope it picks up for you, KemoSaki.

Thanks nut, I’ve started over and am just following quests. That won’t help combat but It’s a little better I guess. Problem is even if I overlook the poor combat I’m just not finding the game very fun. Npc’s are monotone and bleh, story meh, progression isn’t rewarding even after a few levels I’m still stuck with an axe and pipe and have many dialogue options I can’t pick. If I were exploring all over I’d understand but I’m in what I assume is the starting area.

If it wasn’t a PB game I’d already have shelved it but since it is I’m going to try and stick it out to the 15-20 hour mark and hope it picks up and grows on me.

The combat doesn't just seem clunky, it is clunky. It gets better though once you've raised your stamina and learned some skills. Not sure what you mean about the animations being slow. Slow compared to what? I also rarely had an issue with the hit box except for a couple of the larger monsters (trolls, cyclops) who sometimes registered hits without making definite contact.

It just takes a long time to swing the weapons, especially a strong attack. Keep in mind though I’ve been playing nioh and dark souls games and I play thief types at that with little armor and daggers. All just have to adjust. Is a thief type with daggers and option in Elex? As for hitboxes it’s only been a few times once though the animal was facing the opposite direction and I was hit and killed. The other times have been when avoiding with the jet pack. The attack is clearly beneath me but I get hit. Hopefully that won’t happen too often though.

My personal problem is I'll never play Dark Soul nor Nioh that aren't really RPG.

I understand those games won’t appeal to everyone, but not rpg’s?

Stats, character progression, loot, quests, Npc’s, story, exploration. What else do they need to be considered rpgs?

I understand those games won’t appeal to everyone, but not rpg’s?

Stats, character progression, loot, quests, Npc’s, story, exploration. What else do they need to be considered rpgs?

On let's play parts, Nioh was looking like a plateform game mixed with a combat action game. For Dark Soul, ok it was a believing, oops. For my case I don't want bother with a very difficult real time game, something went wrong with me along age, now going close to 60, it's since decades I'm slower and I saw the efficiency decrease in real time games.

I don't know if Diablo is a RPG then ok for Nioh, for me Diablo is a Diablo like not really a RPG, but I can't deny it could match the tag just that it's not the same sub genre than ELEX or Gothic 2.

Back
Top Bottom