KoA: Reckoning - Factions and Answers from the Team

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Reckoning site has new information on the Factions:
As the Fateless One journeys across the land of Amalur in search of destiny, he will cross paths with a diverse array of the kingdom's people. Many swear allegiance to one of Amalur's factions, each possessing their own beliefs, closely guarded techniques, and way of life. In the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, it is up to your hero to decide which factions to join.
To gain more insight into some of the factions the Fateless One can benefit from, the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning site has released summaries and banners for six factions. Click on a banner to learn more about that faction's history and its place within the realm of Amalur.
...and the latest Answers from the Team is up on their forums - quite worth a read:
Q: I would like to know if it is possible to complete EVERY SINGLE QUEST in one playthrough or not? Would prefer if it wasn't possible so I could go through several times and enjoy the different options. Also if it is not possible to complete every single quest in one playthrough, will there be any quests that are taken from a set and randomly chosen (think Diablo 1 random quests)? I think it would be pretty cool to have something like that on a larger scale. Maybe if not implemented in shipping version then some DLC/x-packs could have that make its way into the game. – By Kaloris
A: So the short answer is that if you are diligent enough, you can play any and all quests throughout Reckoning. However! Many of our quests involve decisions that change the outcome, or even the entire course and nature of the quest. That's true for parts of the main quest, the faction lines, and a good number of side quests.
There are some other things you can do, too, to get a different experience between playthroughs. First off, pick a different race, patron god, and gender. There are people in the world who will treat you differently, based on those things. Then try a different class and different skills. I guarantee you that a rogue with high lockpicking and detect hidden will play differently than a warrior-mage who crafts armor, potions, and gems. Try playing the Travelers faction with a rogue and the Warsworn with a warrior-mage. – By Ben "Tesseract" Schneider, Narrative Designer
More information.

They seriously need to shut up now. It's still months away from the release and it's killing me a little every time I read more about this game.

Don't like the fact that he did say you can play any and all quests and then said that the quests change depending on your decisions. I'm not exactly sure what that means. Does the quest become obsolete or not?

I think what he's saying is, you will be able to do all quests in one playthrough, but you will make decisions that will change the outcomes of the quests so if you were to play through a second time, you could technically come out with different results depending on your choices. I.e. giving you a reason to play through the game a second time if you wanted to.

It's great to know that people will treat you differently based on race, patron god and gender. It's also cool to hear what they said about monsters reacting differently. Some will cower in fear, others will panic and run away. That's pretty cool.

It's still months away from the release
Yeah, quite funny how much info we already have on KoA:R (which releases in, what, February) and how little actual info we have on, say, Skyrim (which releases in under a month). Makes you wonder, why some companies keep their game under so tight lid before release, while others "parade around" showing many aspects of their game in previews and interviews. I quite prefer this open approach of the KoA:R team. Of course, there needs to be something left to discover in the game, so you can't give away everything, but IMO the KoA:R team have managed to do that pretty well.

I like KoA's approach as well, it's just killing me how good this game sounds. Just wish the release date was a little sooner. :)

As for Skyrim......well I'll let you guys test that one out.

Why do they keep saying there are six joinable factions but only five are ever described?

House of Ballads, House of Sorrows, Scholia Arcana (aka Mage's Guild), Warsworn (aka Fighter's Guild), Travelers (aka Thieves' Guild).

Is the sixth faction supposed to be a mystery? Or perhaps they haven't finalized the name of the sixth faction?

I was wondering that myself. Kept digging through their website, but couldn't find any info on it. It seems the Travelers have some sort of subgroups, but I still think it's considered one faction.

I was hoping that improving one faction would decrease relations with other factions. But, given his comment about all quests in one playthrough, I kind of doubt that. Alas.

... First I thought this answer was about Skyrim ...

Back
Top Bottom