Ars Magica - Kickstarter Launches

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Ars Magica is a Kickstarter campaign from the folks behind Academagia to create a 2D RPG video game version of the well known card-based game. They are looking for $290k and have $8k pledged so far:
Black Chicken Studios, working under license from Atlas Games, is delighted to present a new simulation role-playing game for the PC. After 25 years and 5 editions, Ars Magica will at long last be paid tribute in a single-player, turn-based video game. Authentic to the original, this is a faithful, beautiful, and accurate depiction of covenant gameplay and the RPG’s legendary magic system during a dangerous century in the Stonehenge Tribunal. With your help, we’ll bring Ars Magica: Years of Conquest and its tapestry of wars, intrigue, invasion and, above all, magic to life!
Imagine a world where myth is real. Faeries dance in forest glades, angels protect the Church, demons corrupt the weak, and wizards wield magic beyond the ken of other mortals.
You play one of these mages, and belong to one of 13 Houses banded together to form the ancient Order of Hermes. You’re dedicated to protecting and perfecting your command over magic. Served by knights, warriors, and peasants, you contend with the perils of plagues, beasts, battles, and other wizards to defend your covenant, your power, and your prestige. Your wizard will need to master the perils of life and death itself, if you are to prosper over 100 years of gameplay.
More information.

Ars magica is a tabletop PnP RPG, not a card game.

Yep. I think the system has a lot going for it in terms of a single-player game, and hopefully it will succeed. The main obstacle is a narrow fan base.

Last edited:
This sounds more like King of Dragon Pass than a conventional RPG but I'm very intrigued (though also disappointed it will be single player only after the Kickstarter video shows them playing the pen and paper all together). It could be sweet. Or not my thing.

I played the Ars Magica RPG extensively almost a couple of decades ago, and there weren't no cards :p

I think those images are the covers of some campaign books.
BTW, you can download the 4th edition for free, though 5th edition is the latest.

Nice, looks like a semi-historical setting. This is right up my alley, I hope they can get enough money.

Cool! I was one of the original playtesters for Ars Magica. The guys who developed it used to come to all the local conventions.

BTW, the task resolution system in Ars Magica is the basis of the system for d20/D&D3e. Not surprising I guess given that Jonathan Tweet was one of the Ars Magica designers and one of the d20 designers.

Back
Top Bottom