The TV Series discussion thread

I directly challenge anyone that actually enjoyed The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, or even Voyager/Enterprise to even stomach one to two episodes of either STD or Discard. There are still decent telly shows around, but those two do not qualify, nor even come close!!!!

Big fan of TNG, watched Voyager (can’t watch it now), not a huge DS9 fan ... and already watched a few Picard episodes. It is doing enough to get me to watch the next episode so far ... will see as we continue.

The new ST show is on Netflix? I thought it was a CBS+ exclusive or something like that.
It's not for all I know (might be in certain countries though). Apart from CBS which is geolocked service, it's available on Amazon for the worldwide audience.

We watched the first episode of Indebted starring Fran Drescher (the Nanny) and Steven Weber (Wings).

Basic plot: financially irresponsible parents who managed to get by without every managing money, have retired and are suddenly broke because their answer to everything involved spending too much money. So they come to see / live with their favorite child, their older son.

This show is ATROCIOUS. I mean, not ‘so bad it is good’, just one of the worst sitcoms I have ever watched ... poorly written, awful characters, bad acting, and just overall not funny or engaging in any way.

We watched the first episode of Indebted starring Fran Drescher (the Nanny) and Steven Weber (Wings).

Basic plot: financially irresponsible parents who managed to get by without every managing money, have retired and are suddenly broke because their answer to everything involved spending too much money. So they come to see / live with their favorite child, their older son.

This show is ATROCIOUS. I mean, not ‘so bad it is good’, just one of the worst sitcoms I have ever watched … poorly written, awful characters, bad acting, and just overall not funny or engaging in any way.

When they have to throw in a laugh track in 2020, they know they are in trouble. Concept sounds horrible.

oh . . . thanx for the heads up

Weber is a cool guy, I remember watching him with Daly in Wings way back, that was a good show. Watching this trailer... seems like a generic sitcom, boring.

Anyone watched Fuller house? How does it compare to the old show? Stephanie has certainly grown :)

Couldn't stand the old show so can't say anything about the revival.

Locke&Key on Netflix is not 100% faithful onscreen adaptation. It's not stellar but it's good. Why?
All key elements (one reworked) happen in the show! I'm saying creators didn't remove Tom Bombadil just because Jackson didn't understand books.
I wish it was more bizzare, darker and more disturbing as the original (graphics novels), but when I saw cameos that happen both in the comic and in the show, I got sold.

Couldn't stand the old show so can't say anything about the revival.

Locke&Key on Netflix is not 100% faithful onscreen adaptation.
I wish it was more bizzare, darker and more disturbing as the original (graphics novels)
For these reasons I'll probably hate it. The trailer makes it look like a Disney show.

Weber is a cool guy, I remember watching him with Daly in Wings way back, that was a good show. Watching this trailer… seems like a generic sitcom, boring.

Yeah Weber was a positive going in but is really poorly used. As for the show, it showed up on our Hulu recommended queue, and we decided to give it a go (it is only 22 minutes, so ...). But yeah ... it is like they used an AI to build a show using a couple of stars and all the worst tropes of early 90s sitcoms.

Anyone watched Fuller house? How does it compare to the old show? Stephanie has certainly grown :)

It is a pretty terrible show. As noted the original was not very good, but it possessed a certain charm in the characters and the natural chemistry between all the players that came across well even as the writing and plots were pretty much crap. The new show ... loses all the charm, the chemistry is mostly gone, and the writers seem to have completely missed the point on what made people like the original. Only seen a few episodes, will never watch more.

I introduced a mate to the first series of Fargo last night, she is now completely hooked. There are few joys in life that compare to sharing a good telly/film with someone that can truly appreciate them!!

Finished the first season of the series ‘Trapped’ from Iceland.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3561180/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Really believable story. Unexpected ending. Great casting. Addictive. Loved it, looking forward to season 2, also available on Netflix. One thing is certain: I am not going to live in Iceland ever, OMG those icy winds! 9/10.

Last edited:
I directly challenge anyone that actually enjoyed The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, or even Voyager/Enterprise to even stomach one to two episodes of either STD or Discard. There are still decent telly shows around, but those two do not qualify, nor even come close!!!!

I couldn't stand Discovery. I don't hate it for being woke. Earlier Star Trek series were very progressive for their time. STD is just nothing at all like Star Trek. They took away all of the innocent idealism of earlier Starfleet incarnations and replaced it with this dark and secretive cabal Starfleet in the middle of a bleak and bloody war, full of death and Klingon rape. And then the writers who obviously hate science fiction try shoving the occasional "yay science!!" moment into your face.

I was hoping Picard would be an improvement, but now I'm thinking I'll stay away.

Locke&Key on Netflix is not 100% faithful onscreen adaptation. It's not stellar but it's good. ...

I finished the fourth episode and I'm really enjoying it.

I was recently asking myself why I liked Locke & Key but not October Faction. I think it's because Locke & Key focuses more on the oddities that emerge when normal life meets magic, and less on teenage angst. October Faction meanwhile is all about teenage angst and other stupid emotional conflict--it just happens to involve characters who live where there's magic and monsters.

I haven't read the graphic novels, but I'm going to now.

Erm… October Faction comic vs Netflix adaptation:

October-Faction-Comics-TV-Show-Differences.jpg

October-Faction-Dante-1.jpg

If you thought Triss was drastic, think again. :D

Storywise… Plenty to number, I'll mention one: Presidio Foundation doesn't exist in the comic.

My vote? Skippit and stick with the comic (if you're interested at all).

I kept hearing about The Good Place, so I tried watching the first episode, and I just don’t get. I barely laughed, haven’t even managed to finish it. I just found it kind of boring, and the premise very gimmicky. Am I missing something?

I wasn't that impressed with the first few episodes of The Good Place either, but it gets a lot better and in season 2 I thought it was one of the best shows on tv. It's not always perfect but they do expand a lot on the initial gimmicky premise and take things in many unexpected directions.

Not sure why but I kinda don't have time for that one among other shows I'm overburden with. What's it about anyway? Two girls want to kill each other but fall in love with each other? Seen something like that already recently, but with two males.

That aside… For everyone who's stalling Disney+ subscription till they add Clone Wars final season and still didn't watch the musthave plushie spinoff:

Back
Top Bottom