Starcraft Remastered

However, I really don't think there's anyway around the visual change being very distinct and significant.

But, to each his own.

I guess that depends on what you consider significant. It could be that the gameplay videos I've seen simply aren't a good way to judge it, but, to me, it just looks like a slightly cleaner game when you're viewing it in action.

It's not a complaint though as I didn't expect more than that.

I guess that depends on what you consider significant. It could be that the gameplay videos I've seen simply aren't a good way to judge it, but, to me, it just looks like a slightly cleaner game when you're viewing it in action.

It's not a complaint though as I didn't expect more than that.

Well, technically, it's the same difference as there is between Baldur's Gate the original - and Baldur's Gate EE in a modern resolution if you imagine all the assets were redone in high-res rather than merely scaled.

Obviously, if you don't think that's significant - then that's that.

I guess anything is possible :)

Well, technically, it's the same difference as there is between Baldur's Gate the original - and Baldur's Gate EE in a modern resolution if you imagine all the assets were redone in high-res rather than merely scaled.

Obviously, if you don't think that's significant - then that's that.

I guess anything is possible :)

Cool ;)

No! JDR you can't cancel an argument game. That's totally unfair and mature of you.

Game was released today (14th August, 2017). Already downloading it here :)

EDIT: Rock Paper Shotgun news.

Oh, this is out already? I had sort of been keeping track of this on my radar, but I didn't expect it so soon. I'll have to pick it up this weekend, thanks!

It looks worth it though, given how big the difference is:
gif.gif

If that's an accurate visual comparison between the two, then I'm quite impressed.

So.. I've played through most of it. Doing the final campaign of Brood Wars now. It's a very good game, and worth the money if you intend to do some sort of StarCraft -> StarCraft 2 mega-playthrough (which I will be doing while waiting for Divinity: OS2).

That being said, it is also fairly obvious that this is a 90s RTS game, along the lines of C&C, Dune 2 and Warcraft 2. Difficulty is rarely a matter of clever design or AI gradually improving over the course of a campaign; it's simply a matter of filling the map with huge enemy bases. Some of the later maps are genuinely massive, where 50% or more is covered by giant bases. I prefer the style of both WC3 and SC2 in that regard, but it's still well worth playing.

So.. I've played through most of it. Doing the final campaign of Brood Wars now. It's a very good game, and worth the money if you intend to do some sort of StarCraft -> StarCraft 2 mega-playthrough (which I will be doing while waiting for Divinity: OS2).

That being said, it is also fairly obvious that this is a 90s RTS game, along the lines of C&C, Dune 2 and Warcraft 2. Difficulty is rarely a matter of clever design or AI gradually improving over the course of a campaign; it's simply a matter of filling the map with huge enemy bases. Some of the later maps are genuinely massive, where 50% or more is covered by giant bases. I prefer the style of both WC3 and SC2 in that regard, but it's still well worth playing.

While you're in the 90s zone - why don't you do a proper Maylander playthrough of Grimoire? ;)

While you're in the 90s zone - why don't you do a proper Maylander playthrough of Grimoire? ;)

Hah, not happening. And my excuse isn't the fact that it's supposed to take an absurd amount of time, but rather that it predates my RPG preferences. I never really got into the old Wizardry or M&M games, only the mid-to-later ones. Such a shame.

Hah, not happening. And my excuse isn't the fact that it's supposed to take an absurd amount of time, but rather that it predates my RPG preferences. I never really got into the old Wizardry or M&M games, only the mid-to-later ones. Such a shame.

You might like it. You like exploration a lot, right?

But I hear what you're saying.

You might like it. You like exploration a lot, right?

But I hear what you're saying.

I do, yeah. The first time I was truly immersed in an RPG was M&M6. I still remember most areas of Enroth fondly, from New Sorpigal and Castle Ironfist to Frozen Highlands and Kriegspire. I tried to get into the older ones like the Xeen games, but it just didn't work for me.

My curiosity got the better of me, and I purchased it a little while ago. I've been contemplating a run through SC1+SC2 since I never played SC2 after Wings of Liberty.

I played the first map of Brood War, and it's what I expected. The visual difference really isn't much when you're actually playing the game. I'm also a little disappointed at how limited the zoom feature is. You can zoom in, but you can't zoom out, and it's pretty much completely useless.

They added some storyboard slides prior to the start of the campaign. They're a nice touch I guess, but they're rather unmemorable. The character portraits are also redone, but it's subjective if they're actually better than the originals.

One thing that surprised me is that it was instantly playable as soon as I purchased it. There was no download whatsoever. Apparently the files for the remaster are now included in the free Starcraft Anthology and only need to be unlocked.

Back
Top Bottom