What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

We watched ‘Mama Mia Here We Go Again’ last night ... wow, it was surprisingly awful. I mean:
- We were in the mood for something light and fun, mindless romp.
- We both thoroughly enjoyed the first one.

And yet, before the fan-service final 15 minutes, I was debating if I liked ‘Destination Wedding’ better! And my wife, who watched a ‘made for TV’ Netflix RomCom movie called ‘Set It Up’ declared definitely the best of the three.

The problems were many - from the start things are lifeless and bland. The new actress (playing a young Meryl Streep) tries to infuse energy, but her role isn’t particularly deep. The story is paper thin as well - two stories, one of a hotel opening night, the other of Meryl Streep’s trip to the island and how she came to not know which man was the father of her child. Streep and Cher show up at the end and it is clear their stuff was filmed in a day (especially Streep, where there were mistakes still evident on screen). I have no idea how this ended up with positive reviews on RT.

Worst part? We actually paid to rent it on Amazon.

Who the fuck rents from Amazon Video? Amazon Prime and unlimited access to their film library is the way to go. Where else can you see Dan Curtis' Dracula with Jack Palance in 1080p (in what many consider to be the finest dramatization of the character) or Kwai Chang Caine kicking ass in Kung Fu, also in 1980p, complete with frightening skin wigs. Just watched the two-parter The Cenopath for example which is the most unique installment in the entire series. It's also the single worst thing that has ever been done in the history of the medium with actors named Stefan playing dual-roles as both a crazy Irish mountain man that keeps a 5000 lbs rock in the shape of a woman in a big wooden box and a Chinese warlord in what is the most embarrassingly bad white-guy-goes-chimaman makeup ever conceived. All in wonderful, glorious blu-ray quality. Oh, and Cain gets laid by the lovely Nancy Kwan in this one and is so exhausted by their sexual encounter that his just sits collapsed against a pillar, sweat pouring down the back of his skin wig, mouth agape, as he barely manages to squeak out the words, "I... love... you" with a 9.5 on the afterglow scale. I love my Amazon Prime.

Great Scott! Destination Wedding followed by Mamma Mia Here We Go Again? I think you need to re-open negotiations over control of the remote. :p

I shall not judge any man that watches mostly chick flicks with his significant other. Some of my best friends are guys who do this. My pal Brian and his life partner Karl for example. They particularly love Julia Roberts romantic comedies and dramas. Right now they're watching The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and they're in love. What harm could possibly come of this?

Not sure if it's harm but it can lead to alienating former friends.
Assuming Sabrina is not their friends' #1 pick too. Or a guilty pleasure they refuse to admit. :D

Don't look at me. I don't care about that show. Because in circles I'm in it's referred to with "Sabrina the Social Justice Warrior".

Who the fuck rents from Amazon Video?

When you want a new release, you rent. Since we have a Fire TV Cube hooked to our TV, Amazon is the easy go-to choice.

I love my Amazon Prime.

Absolutely agree!

Great Scott! Destination Wedding followed by Mamma Mia Here We Go Again? I think you need to re-open negotiations over control of the remote. :p

haha - look, on Wednesday she had a 4.5 hour surgery, and really is just getting back to being able to sit awake for 1.5 hours at a time. Mindless light fun is about all we can do at this point. :)

And really, we've been together for over 30 years - she's done midnight Star Wars showings, and on and on and on ... I would do anything for her. And sometimes a light romcom is the type of mindless non-demanding background that fits the bill.

Oh dear, I hope she feels better soon. Yes, I understand. I save superhero movies for when I'm feeling fragile, and want to be half awake and asleep.

Saw Overlord last night. Great action flick imo. It's not going to win any Academy awards, but it was definitely entertaining. It has a very Wolfenstein feel, and I suspect there might have been some inspiration from that series.

I watched Cider House Rules last night. I've heard such good things about the film for years, and I wasn't disappointed. Filled with fine acting, a wringing story, kindness and horror that will stick with you, it was quite the memorable tale.

I saw Burning from Chang dong Lee a fortnight ago.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7282468/
It was described as a poetic thriller and was South Koreas submission to the Oscars and had a record in points given by journalists in a poll at the Cannes festival.
Well. Do not go. Terrible. Three hours or so. At the end most of the few people watching it in the cinema were perplexed and had to laugh because of the weird ending.

Week before that I went to the western The Sisters Brothers.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4971344/
Great movie. Authentic feel. Unexpected developments. Highly recommendable.

Last edited:
Week before that I went to the western The Sisters Brothers.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4971344/
Great movie. Authentic feel. Unexpected developments. Highly recommendable.
I'd recommend all Jacques Audiard's movies, they're all good. This one has Joaquin Phoenix and Jake Gyllenhaal in it, wich is awesome!

AND Dutch actor Rutger Hauer. Which I did not know, so it was a surprise seeing an old man in the movie that resembled … so I started poking my hubby sitting next to me, and whispered: is that…? No… yes, yes, he is! :)

Unlike Furlong; I think Edward has done a pretty decent job in most of his movies; however he hasn't had very many serious roles which is (imho) a bit surprising given the quality of his acting. I also like the diversity of his roles. Not quite as deep or diverse as Joaquin Phoenix or Heath Ledger but still pretty decent wide range.

You mean American History X? That was a great movie. Easily Edward Norton's best role.

Loved Edward Norton's roast of Bruce Willis.:lol:

AND Dutch actor Rutger Hauer. Which I did not know, so it was a surprise seeing an old man in the movie that resembled … so I started poking my hubby sitting next to me, and whispered: is that…? No… yes, yes, he is! :)
Have you ever see the TV show Floris and would you recommend it? I'm a giant fan of Verhoeven and of Hauer, I love the movie Flesh and Blood they made together and I was wondering I Floris was any good. It looks kitsch.

Ha, it is very old! Made in 1968, in black and white, 12 episodes, aimed at children and adults. It was a big hit at the time, and Hauer was a good looking guy then. But times have changed, series are not made that way anymore. We’d fall asleep. :)
It has been broadcasted on the Dutch tele several times and I watched it as a kid. I doubt you’ll enjoy it though. When seeing Floris I look at it with different eyes than you. Moi, j’ai des souvenirs d’enfance. :)

Anyway, you can check it out, here is the first episode, it’s got English subtitles:

Kudos to you for having heard of Floris. :)

Back
Top Bottom