Tyranny personal impressions thread

Well I have to gush for a moment ... this game is just awesome. I really enjoyed Torment:ToN but this game may become a new favorite. I finished what I gather is the end of Act 1 and really enjoyed all the options and choices I had ... so many of them. I keep going "just one more hour to see what happens next ..." and then 3 hours have gone by.

At the same time I can feel my adrenaline increasing as I consider each choice I make. Much too my surprise I continue to remain with Barik, Verse, and Lantry. I like EB - she is a riot and very fun and Verse ... a bloody killer ... yet I guess I feel loyalty to my initial crew.

Anyhow so glad I tried this game. I almost wrote it off because I thought it would have limited options and wasn't sure on the reviews. But for me it is a very well made game. Combat (loving unarmed), character building, exploring, C&C, lore, the story .. all A+ for me. Course I have not finished and only just started Act 2 but looking forward to more play time.

One play isn't very long, it depends also a bit of main choices. And be ready for a very brutal end and very open end, but read well and it won't be any cliffhanger, only a strong logic.

Now for sure the very very open end call for a follow up, to temper it replay with another path and different main choices, you'll be stunned how many things will be different.

Myself I put it inside a favorite all time top 10 after 2/3 chained plays, have done 4 chained plays at end. Ok with some distance I could not repeat the boldness, but who know I vaguely remember that few after The Witcher 1 release have put it 4 or 5 in some all time top. Now with a lot of distance, I don't find it incoherent.

One difference is Tyranny is using an unfair writing trick and I'm aware of it, but I like it a lot. The Witcher 1 is using a high quality writing, nothing manipulative. And this Tyranny trick could grow old with age, it's opening many mysterious elements, throw hints, hypothesis, possibilities, but not closing many of them with a full explanation. It's great because it captures the attention and curiosity, it makes elaborate your own explanations, it makes work your own imagination, but it's an unfair writing trick. :)

When I played and almost finished T:ToN I though they missed the opportunity to use the multiple play approach of Tyranny. The point in Tyranny blueprint is to find a context justifying that an area is filled very differently from a play to another play. War and an invasion is a nice find, but time travel and parallel worlds could be an excellent base for applying the Tyranny blueprint.

Just finished and had a blast. I had been worried about the endings but was extremely happy with the ending I got which was the cherry on the sundae for me. Giving the game a 9/10 as far as my own personal score goes. I expect to get one more play through this time as pure follower of the Disfavored and most likely as a mage. I had 31 hours but admit I was so antsy to find out what happened in the story I focused on the main quest. I expect I would have had 36-40 otherwise.

I used to love the 100+ hour games, and still do in cases like Skyrim or FO4 that are very open, but for games like this the 30-40 hour mark is pretty nice. In fact the last three games I played seemed to fall under that (MEA, Tyranny, and Torment:ToN) and it has worked out well on my schedule.

Anyhow a major thumbs up for this terrific and fun game!

About the ending, here a deeper explanation, and the story plan for the whole trilogy plus an origin. I put it in spoiler because it could be a huge spoiler and anyway it's a spoiler for Tyranny 1 itself.

For me such spoiler past a Tyranny 1 play wouldn't be a spoiler but a teaser, because a plan is a plan and how dev would achieve it, and how details would be managed, would make me hugely curious. But that's me, for some other player it could feel like a spoiler of the future trilogy+origin. What's sure is don't read the spoiler if you haven't played Tyranny 1. If you have, I don't know.

To understand the trilogy+origin story plan you need understand that Kyros is the player character, this is the only way to explain the most difficult aspects, including, the pure writing trick, why the game doesn't tell you if Kyros is male or female.

- Tyranny 1:
Current game, the player is manipulated by his future self coming from past. Main character is young Kyros, during first episode he rised to power, lead the Tiers, and started learn make edicts.

- Tyranny 2:
You load a save at end of Tyranny 1 or play a prelude to simulate Tyranny play and key choices, this phase will replace the strategic prelude of Tyranny 1.

At beginning of Tyranny 2 there's an introduction of the new Tiers beginning, then a sequence with a masked figure entering Tiers and casting an edict: The whole Tiers will be destroyed if Fatebinder hasn't leave the Tiers before 6 days. Fatebinder is waken up, but he is paralyzed and see two non human sentient at his bed and practicing some magic. Fatebinder feels all his power is absorbed and fall unconscious. Then the game starts, Fatebinder lost all his skills and is level 1, he has 5 days to left Tiers.

Fatebinder adventures will make him sneak into the North, acquire a new set of spires in the North, regain power, rule the North, discover more elements about Spires and Oldwalls, sneak to Kyros palace to kill him.

Then when he see Kyros he realizes he is his twin with some more years. It's a shock, but Kyros doesn't want answer his questions and tell him that "it's too late we have no time, he must listen". Then there's an epilogue where Kyros explains that some evil power is rising from Oldwalls and must be stopped. But by using an artifact from Oldwalls he decided prepare humanity to disaster by coming back in past and build an Empire strong enough and a Kyros strong enough. But this is the 100th loop, he will try stop the ancient and if he fails the young Kyros will go back in past and try again. Then Fatebinder watches his future himself do a gigantic battle and lost, then Fatebinder use the time artifact and it's end of Tyranny 2.

- Tyranny 3:
You load a save at end of Tyranny 2 or play a prelude to simulate Tyranny 1&2 plays, this phase will replace the strategic prelude of Tyranny 1.

The beginning is a time travel and Fatebinder arrives in past but something get wrong, he feels very weak, and because of a side effect of the artifact, once more he lost all his powers and is level 1. The palace of Kyros isn't here, it's a wild country.

Fatebinder adventures will make him union tribes, he will find tracks of himself guiding him to gain more power, more artifacts, build a stronger Empire. He will explores Oldwalls to find again the time travel artifact that has disappeared after the time travel, he gains more power, he discover he can now throw small edicts without spires, and then he starts the Kyros legend.

And end of first chapter Fatebinder discover he grows older and is no way immortal, so chapter two is travels along time to make jumps at key moments to build up the Empire and gain more power.

At chapter 3 fatebinder manipulates himself and met his young himself and then do the huge battle and win.

- Tyranny Origin:
You load any save at end of any Tyranny or just choose create a new character.

Fatebinder is a young man, once more level 1 and no special powers. There's no Empire, he is back in Tiers, at same time of Tyranny 1 but a total new Tiers, in short, rumors of ancient evils rising in Oldwalls will lead him explore Tiers and North and Oldwalls, discover ancient sentient non humans appeared, discover they prepare the coming of an ancient evil, discover a bizarre artifact, ancient evil starts destroy all humanity starting from Tiers and then fatebinder discover the artifact use and jump back in past. An epilogue summarizes the beginning of the first attempt to build an Empire.

With Tyranny Origin release there's a patch for Tyranny 1 allowing load save of Tyranny Origin, or add some more prelude options for your origins, it changes a bit the game by adding more depth to your past with some consequences without changing in depth the game.

End of the series. :)

Ok ok I can't prove anything, but in my opinion, if well implemented and well written, even if just at level of Tyranny 1, at end this trilogy+origin would be a mark in RPG all time history.

About the ending, here a deeper explanation, and the story plan for the whole trilogy plus an origin. I put it in spoiler because it could be a huge spoiler and anyway it's a spoiler for Tyranny 1 itself.

For me such spoiler past a Tyranny 1 play wouldn't be a spoiler but a teaser, because a plan is a plan and how dev would achieve it, and how details would be managed, would make me hugely curious. But that's me, for some other player it could feel like a spoiler of the future trilogy+origin. What's sure is don't read the spoiler if you haven't played Tyranny 1. If you have, I don't know.

To understand the trilogy+origin story plan you need understand that Kyros is the player character, this is the only way to explain the most difficult aspects, including, the pure writing trick, why the game doesn't tell you if Kyros is male or female.

- Tyranny 1:
Current game, the player is manipulated by his future self coming from past. Main character is young Kyros, during first episode he rised to power, lead the Tiers, and started learn make edicts.

- Tyranny 2:
You load a save at end of Tyranny 1 or play a prelude to simulate Tyranny play and key choices, this phase will replace the strategic prelude of Tyranny 1.

At beginning of Tyranny 2 there's an introduction of the new Tiers beginning, then a sequence with a masked figure entering Tiers and casting an edict: The whole Tiers will be destroyed if Fatebinder hasn't leave the Tiers before 6 days. Fatebinder is waken up, but he is paralyzed and see two non human sentient at his bed and practicing some magic. Fatebinder feels all his power is absorbed and fall unconscious. Then the game starts, Fatebinder lost all his skills and is level 1, he has 5 days to left Tiers.

Fatebinder adventures will make him sneak into the North, acquire a new set of spires in the North, regain power, rule the North, discover more elements about Spires and Oldwalls, sneak to Kyros palace to kill him.

Then when he see Kyros he realizes he is his twin with some more years. It's a shock, but Kyros doesn't want answer his questions and tell him that "it's too late we have no time, he must listen". Then there's an epilogue where Kyros explains that some evil power is rising from Oldwalls and must be stopped. But by using an artifact from Oldwalls he decided prepare humanity to disaster by coming back in past and build an Empire strong enough and a Kyros strong enough. But this is the 100th loop, he will try stop the ancient and if he fails the young Kyros will go back in past and try again. Then Fatebinder watches his future himself do a gigantic battle and lost, then Fatebinder use the time artifact and it's end of Tyranny 2.

- Tyranny 3:
You load a save at end of Tyranny 2 or play a prelude to simulate Tyranny 1&2 plays, this phase will replace the strategic prelude of Tyranny 1.

The beginning is a time travel and Fatebinder arrives in past but something get wrong, he feels very weak, and because of a side effect of the artifact, once more he lost all his powers and is level 1. The palace of Kyros isn't here, it's a wild country.

Fatebinder adventures will make him union tribes, he will find tracks of himself guiding him to gain more power, more artifacts, build a stronger Empire. He will explores Oldwalls to find again the time travel artifact that has disappeared after the time travel, he gains more power, he discover he can now throw small edicts without spires, and then he starts the Kyros legend.

And end of first chapter Fatebinder discover he grows older and is no way immortal, so chapter two is travels along time to make jumps at key moments to build up the Empire and gain more power.

At chapter 3 fatebinder manipulates himself and met his young himself and then do the huge battle and win.

- Tyranny Origin:
You load any save at end of any Tyranny or just choose create a new character.

Fatebinder is a young man, once more level 1 and no special powers. There's no Empire, he is back in Tiers, at same time of Tyranny 1 but a total new Tiers, in short, rumors of ancient evils rising in Oldwalls will lead him explore Tiers and North and Oldwalls, discover ancient sentient non humans appeared, discover they prepare the coming of an ancient evil, discover a bizarre artifact, ancient evil starts destroy all humanity starting from Tiers and then fatebinder discover the artifact use and jump back in past. An epilogue summarizes the beginning of the first attempt to build an Empire.

With Tyranny Origin release there's a patch for Tyranny 1 allowing load save of Tyranny Origin, or add some more prelude options for your origins, it changes a bit the game by adding more depth to your past with some consequences without changing in depth the game.

End of the series. :)

Ok ok I can't prove anything, but in my opinion, if well implemented and well written, even if just at level of Tyranny 1, at end this trilogy+origin would be a mark in RPG all time history.

I like your idea although it needs some more polish/refinement. It would be pretty damn cool though I think.

I like your idea although it needs some more polish/refinement. It would be pretty damn cool though I think.

Yeah I know there's some elements close to incoherent, I didn't bother polish, but obviously it would be possible. Also I didn't develop how some cool mechanism of the global plan could be exploited for great stuff.

In an interview dev quoted they enjoyed read players building hypothetis and arguing about them, and that they even have been surprised some finding the true plan despite the small clues put in game.

About the core idea, the arguing is really interesting, and it can explain very well many details.

So there's a possibility that this in the general idea of the global plan intialy planed. :)

Alas yes as "you" quoted sales has been low (once more thanks to youtubers and Codex haters and stupidity). Moreover with Bioware shutdown, and publisher failure to enter in RPG market, it lower even more the chance this publisher takes the risk to invest more in a series with a failed birth. And they are dead for crowd funding, a publisher trying one will probably be bashed to death.

Can't find a better hread to add this in. It's an article trying to explain why Tyranny didn't sell more copies than it did:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/tyranny/tyranny-sales-paradox-obsidian

“Tyranny did ok,” says Paradox CEO Fred Wester.

“We’re overall ok with it, I think,” echoes Shams Jorjani, Paradox’s vice president of business development. “Everyone was hoping that it would do better.”

I know why I didn't buy it (yet). The first impressions were saying the game can be finished in one afternoon. Later people posted here it ain't true, but with my backlog I still don't want to risk and am avoiding reading posts (so I don't get spoiled).
The game length is something Paradox should have covered in advertisments.

EDIT:
Oh now I see wgd liked it and put 9/10 on it, man, next time kick me so I buy the damned thing instead of wasting time on mainstream a foot close to rubbish like Prey.

I am also waiting for a sale but not because the game is short (that is a pro argument for me) but because I want to wait until Obsidian are done patching the game and releasing all extra content.
I KS-backed and ended up liking PoE quite a lot but I'm very glad I waited for the final patched complete version before diving in.

If it was a pro argument for you we wouldn't discuss why is Rogue 100 times better than Black Sails. :p

Anyway, what extra content? I thought the game didn't have DLC in plans?!

t n

I am also waiting for a sale but not because the game is short (that is a pro argument for me) but because I want to wait until Obsidian are done patching the game and releasing all extra content.
I KS-backed and ended up liking PoE quite a lot but I'm very glad I waited for the final patched complete version before diving in.

The game isn't short, one play isn't big but the game is at least 3 plays, or 4 plays, and you can't realize that under 3 plays you don't have yet play the full game, nor how many stuff is different between 4 plays well organized. At end play duration is about 30 * 4 = 120H, or negative point of view 3 * 30 = 90H which is pretty good already.

And that's not time for slow players (nor rush). Myself I did 4.5 plays in a row, for about 250H.

Back
Top Bottom