Best D&D City for a game

What is the best Dungeons & Dragons city for a game?

• Waterdeep

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Menzoberranzan

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Athkatla

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sharn (The City of Towers)

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Baldur's Gate

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Stormreach

• Sigil

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Neverwinter

• City of Greyhawk

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
So what is the best Dungeons & Dragons city for a game and why?

Update (Myrthos, September 20): Additional cities have been added and the poll has been reset, so everyone has the opportunity to select something else (or the same).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really have a preference but Baldur's Gate, Luskan, WaterDeep, and Athkatla are overused in RPGs. I would love to play a full RPG game set in Menzoberranzan.​

Someone on the codex shared a map and highlighted the areas were PC RPGs have been set in. Quite a disappointment once you see the full map of the Forgotten Worlds.

Menzoberranzan has already been the focus of a D&D game. Waterdeep has also received a good deal of treatment in D&D games overall.

I'm pretty partial to seeing Zhentil Keep get some modern love. It's a nefarious nest of corruption and villainy as well as the source for quite a few great memorable D&D encounters over the years. The plot to murder the player's party in Pool of Radiance and the Dexam Beholder fight in Curse of The Azure Bonds are great tense moments.
The political narratives possible with the mysterious Zhentarim and the Black Network would be make a fun high stakes adventure.

I'm a Dragonlance fan, and I'd love to see an RPG set in Palanthas. I'm not up to date with the lore, so I'm thinking of the setting during the War of Lance or just afterwards. There's something about the setting - the Knights of Solomnia, the different robed wizards with the Test, the Towers of High Sorcery etc, that I just find very appealing. And it would make a nice break from the Forgotten Realms!

I'm a Dragonlance fan, and I'd love to see an RPG set in Palanthas. I'm not up to date with the lore, so I'm thinking of the setting during the War of Lance or just afterwards. There's something about the setting - the Knights of Solomnia, the different robed wizards with the Test, the Towers of High Sorcery etc, that I just find very appealing. And it would make a nice break from the Forgotten Realms!
Pstt…I know a few NWN mods if you're interested.:)

Pstt…I know a few NWN mods if you're interested.:)

Ha, I am actually - some recommendations for good single player Dragonlance mods would be welcome, thanks! Is there a separate NWN mods thread somewhere so we can avoid derailing this thread?

Ha, I am actually - some recommendations for good single player Dragonlance mods would be welcome, thanks! Is there a separate NWN mods thread somewhere so we can avoid derailing this thread?
I'll send you a PM. I just have to find the links.:)

I'm pretty partial to seeing Zhentil Keep get some modern love. It's a nefarious nest of corruption and villainy as well as the source for quite a few great memorable D&D encounters over the years. The plot to murder the player's party in Pool of Radiance and the Dexam Beholder fight in Curse of The Azure Bonds are great tense moments.
The political narratives possible with the mysterious Zhentarim and the Black Network would be make a fun high stakes adventure.
Yeah, if it was a new game set in the Forgotten Realms this would be great. I'm not up to date on the lore, but I remember Fzoul Chembryl being a badass (his brief cameo in Azure Bonds, which I replayed earlier this year, is great :)) and the dark political shenanigans of Zhentil Keep would be a lot of fun.

Menzoberranzan got my vote. Any city is fine as long as the area is fleshed out. I'm fine starting out in a backwater village. To be honest, I'm tired where your character is the chosen one. Can I just be a murder hobo and seek my fame and fortune? Maybe that's why I love Battle Brothers so much.

To be honest, I'm tired where your character is the chosen one. Can I just be a murder hobo and seek my fame and fortune?

Couldn't agree more. I'd love to see a new game that focussed on low/mid level adventuring and didn't feel the need to go epic.

How did you make a list of D&D cities and not include Sigil? :)

I'll add it to the poll. :blush:

edit: As soon as I work out how to edit a poll

edit2: It doesn't look like I can edit a poll once created. Guess I know for next time.

Last edited:
No idea. I might have known once but its been years since I did a poll.

Menzoberranzan got my vote. Any city is fine as long as the area is fleshed out. I'm fine starting out in a backwater village. To be honest, I'm tired where your character is the chosen one. Can I just be a murder hobo and seek my fame and fortune? Maybe that's why I love Battle Brothers so much.

Yes indeed, that's why the Icewind Dale series stood out so well in its day and continues to this day to be a joyfully unique RPG gaming experience, even though, on the surface, it might not seem like the games offer much, what they do offer no-one else is really offering.

Back
Top Bottom