Hogwart's Legacy - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer reports that Hogwart's Legacy will be coming next year.

Avalanche's long-rumored Harry Potter RPG was officially revealed today during Sony's PlayStation 5 showcase as Hogwart's Legacy, a tale of the famed magic school set in the 1800s.

Naturally, given that time frame, you won't play as Harry Potter, but as an as-yet-unnamed student "who holds the key to an ancient secret that threatens to tear the wizarding world apart."

[...]

More information.

Me like. Hopefully it's not just another Sony console exclusive.:(

Absolutely no interest in Harry Potter but the IP works so well for RPGs. The Gameboy RPGs are hidden gems on those systems.
In light of Rowling drama I'm looking forward to watching the games media tying themselves in knots trying to deal with this, especially if the game is good!

Absolutely no interest in Harry Potter but the IP works so well for RPGs. The Gameboy RPGs are hidden gems on those systems.
In light of Rowling drama I'm looking forward to watching the games media tying themselves in knots trying to deal with this, especially if the game is good!
RPG.net is handing out bans to anyone who even mentions JK Rowling in any context besides her being Satan incarnate. How much is she even involved in this game?

I like the look of this. I'm not a Harry Potter fanatic but it would be a fun setting for an RPG.

Persoanly I've been wating for such game for a very long time. Especailly after the Order of Phoenix game came out long time ago. The only thing that I wish for is for them to not implement motion sensors into casting spells ( at least not in VR version )

I've no interest at all in Harry Plopper, but I do hope poor old Rowling's reputation can be restored, once we get past this hysterical phase where people can't tell the difference between the actual bigots, and those who merely don't conform perfectly to their ideology.

I have no particular interest in Harry Potter... but beyond that, I have no real idea what kind of game this will be in watching that trailer. Everyone here seems to be assuming it's an RPG... did I miss something? This could be an RPG... or it could be an action game on rails, or a dating/school sim - or just an adventure game.

Anyway, if it turns out to be a decently deep RPG, I'll be interested but for me, that trailer and the fact it is for such a massive IP and that it is being touted as a launch title for the PS5, makes me think it will be a watered-down, cater-to-everyone game that isn't likely to bring much role-playing to the table.

But happy to be proven wrong.

RPG.net is handing out bans to anyone who even mentions JK Rowling in any context besides her being Satan incarnate. How much is she even involved in this game?

Cancel culture at it's best...don't say anything that might upset someone.

Cancel culture at it's best…don't say anything that might upset someone.

You say that but I bet in cases like this, the more squawking there is the more sales it will mean for the game. Not to mention all the butthurt on the other side of the argument (including on this site) who might buy the game just to spite their arch-enemies.

Rowling was "not [directly] involved".

Kotaku said:
Warner Brothers’ FAQ reads that “J.K. Rowling was not involved in the creation of the game, however, her extraordinary body of writing is the foundation of all projects in the Wizarding World. This is not a new story from J.K. Rowling.” (An FAQ on Warner Brothers’ support site alters this wording to “not directly involved,” though both have identical explanations of the scope of Rowling’s participation.)

It's hilarious how they have to rewrite that in the FAQ.:biggrin:

Also yep its Kotau I was sure they would cover that topic.

Psst..she still gets paid its her IP.:cool:

Not a fan of Rowling, though the movies were tolerable. I found her writing sourcing cheap village gossip, useless literature. Still, she made her own fortune and if I had that much money, I would do exactly like her: trolling the stupid idiot LBGT wretches, who are a minority and hoping & imagining they are anything else.

Have a day off, "mercy".

The point is that Rowling is not the sort of bigoted twat you admire.

I never read nor was ever interested to read the Harry Potter books, and don't like the author's very lefty politics, but I do have sympathy for her in regards of how she has been turned into a villain by the extreme left now. Its ridiculous. And I do believe people should have the freedom to disagree with the far left without being demonized or called The Devil for it.

Anyway, I would much rather re-read the amazing Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin which I think this series ripped off in terms of the school of wizardry plot/idea, from what I know about its basic plot line, than read the Harry Potter books. Obviously Rowling also ripped off - or a kinder way to put it is "she got inspiration from" - other classic fantasy like Tolkien's books and others as well.

Well I just read that Kotaku article and all it's comments still hilarious.

Hope Kotaku is ready for the Libel lawsuit from J.K. Rowling.:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom