Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Retrospective Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
MrMattyPlays looks back at Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen:

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - RPG Time Machine

Let's travel back to the past in the RPG Time Machine. This episode hones in on Dragon's Dogma, a CapCom RPG that has gradually developed a devout following. While the game has continuously been re-released for a total for 7 years, it has yet to reach mass popularity. Melding mechanics from Dark Souls and Monster Hunter in one, it serves to be one of the most unique experiences you can have with a modern RPG. With that, let's go back in time to Dragon's Dogma.
More information.

A fun hack & slasher. It's not very deep though outside of combat, and I would have preferred companions with written backgrounds over the pawn system.

I'm surprised Capcom is taking so long to make a sequel.

It was pretty fun playing through once, got a big sloggish in the end, and I doubt I'd ever replay it. For a one and done, it was ok.

Had fun with it and played it a lot, but didnt finish it. Have to agree the game was quite shallow outside of combat and kinda hard work towards the end. But overall it had its charm. Would be interested to see sequel, if it evolves in right direction.

I quite enjoyed this game in its PC version that included the dungeon island DLC. Pretty fun class system and combat mechanics in general, and the grapple/climb mechanics add some flair and fun to the whole thing. Not the most engaging story, and travelling times get quite obnoxious at times. Later on the teleport system helps mitigate that, though.

Very few games however give you the feeling that Dragon's Dogma does when you just stumble upon a random cyclops or manticore and fight it to the death. Later in the game these encounters become more like "trash fights", but for the first few hours, it feels quite epic. A good game to replay now and then, and I'd love to see a sequel.

I quite enjoyed this game in its PC version that included the dungeon island DLC. Pretty fun class system and combat mechanics in general, and the grapple/climb mechanics add some flair and fun to the whole thing. Not the most engaging story, and travelling times get quite obnoxious at times. Later on the teleport system helps mitigate that, though.

Very few games however give you the feeling that Dragon's Dogma does when you just stumble upon a random cyclops or manticore and fight it to the death. Later in the game these encounters become more like "trash fights", but for the first few hours, it feels quite epic. A good game to replay now and then, and I'd love to see a sequel.

That's a good summary of the main impressions I had as well.

Yeah, Nereida summarized it fairly well, one battle I recall is that battle with a flying griffon that I think takes place right or near the very beginning? The exploration factor was high and intense for this game, and that kept me coming back, simply to knock out more quests and see what was next.

In the past ten years I've played ~53 RPGs (and strategy games).

Only two of them I did not finish. This game is one of those two. For me it was incredibly boring.

I loved this game. Finished the main quest/plot, but not the extended bits; i.e. the bits in the pit that appears after the main plot is finished, and the DLC island. I played a heap of those extended bits though, but eventually gave them up in frustration. (i.e. I was too shite to progress after a certain depth in the dungeon, and lacked the bloody-mindedness to keep going).
Strikes me as the sort of game that you don't have to really finish, just keep going and going.

Despite my frustration at the end, I'd immediately snap up a sequel.

Good romp of a game. Whirlwind and meteor spells never got old and made wizards feel properly powerful and satisfying.

I'm actually looking forward to what these guys can do with a bit more power to work with....some of the big monster fights could be quite good with improved visuals etc.

Wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. They did release an MMO that was cancelled a few years back, but it's Capcom. They stick to fight games and Resident Evil recently.

Good to know but that site has been wrong before and it's just an unconfirmed leak.

Never has my sig been more relevant. :)

So I just wanted to say that in my "rookie years" I played a lot more. Now life happens and it's less. Guess I'm not the only one here.

Back
Top Bottom