Prey - Impressions and Interview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
*crickets*

I didn't realize they were considering this a RPG.

Pretty sure they aren't.

Everything with stats is a RPG nowadays.

They are considering it to be a game with RPG features. From the interview:

Prey has more classical RPG features – a grid inventory system, lots of upgrade trees, and so on

One advantage is that Prey is a little more of an RPG. Players used to games with RPG mechanics already have the experience of ‘Oh I can build my character in different ways’ which comes implicitly with the idea that there are different ways to play.

And in an article that claims to explain what Prey is, Raphael Colantonio says:
The simplest way I would describe it is that it’s mix of an FPS and RPG, with a strong simulation layer underneath that allows you to replay in different ways.

I wouldn't call it a pure RPG, but who cares? It has a ton of RPG elements - and obviously some of us really love the genre.

It's an RPG in the same way System Shock 2 or Deus Ex could be considered RPGs. I don't, personally, consider them RPGs - but they're clearly hybrids.

If it's a RPG+something hybrid, then it's not Bioshock Infinite.
I'm buying as soon as I get home.

So, are you getting a System Shock vibe from this DarT? I just might pick this up too.

Don't trust him when it comes to vibes, he's not objective. ;)

Do trust his analysis on mechanics though. If he says it's a hybrid, then it is.
Now I suck when it comes to RPG hybrids and am buying them like crazy. If you do like that stuff too, buy.

So, are you getting a System Shock vibe from this DarT? I just might pick this up too.

I'd say in terms of mechanics and gameplay, it feels a lot like a modern System Shock 2. The atmosphere and visual aesthetic are different, though - and it has sort of a 60s space thing going on.

I guess you could say the "feel" is a combination of Bioshock and System Shock.

But the gameplay is more System Shock 2 than any other game I can remember, with some Deus Ex thrown in.

I'd say in terms of mechanics and gameplay, it feels a lot like a modern System Shock 2. The atmosphere and visual aesthetic are different, though - and it has sort of a 60s space thing going on.

I guess you could say the "feel" is a combination of Bioshock and System Shock.

But the gameplay is more System Shock 2 than any other game I can remember, with some Deus Ex thrown in.

Sounds good then. I'll check out some vids and then decide. Thanks!

Man... Trust texts from gamers. Not paid vids.
In fact... Where is thumb down button? :p

Already? Meh… I don't plan touching it before tomorrow.
I don't leave games currently playing - unfinished for sakes of some hype. :p

So it's playable now? I thought Steam had said May 5.

I guess it's may 5th in Singapore and Bethesda is not EA/Ubi to set different release dates and hours based on timezones and countries. And sometimes platforms.
At least not yet.

I'm hoping DArt goes dual-screen and posts second-by-second impressions ;)

Back
Top Bottom