Arcanum - High Resolution Patch 1.5

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Version 1.5 of the High Resolution Patch for Arcanum has been released:

Version 1.5

• The patch is now configured and applied via a config file, no more command line prompts.
  • Many more settings and features are now available in the config file, to be further configured by the user to their liking.
  • The vertical position of the middle screen menus (e.g. inventory or load save) can now be set to top, bottom or center (default).
  • Most UI graphics have been cleaned up, the top shading has been removed and full size borders have been added.
  • Added fullscreen backgrounds to the main menu, 3 variants are available: just black, fade to black, fullscreen wooden background (also applies to options and credits).
  • Compiled a completely new crisp sharp size 18 dialog font which is true to the original.
  • Increased preload distance, so that you won't see stuck objects at very high resolutions. This feature is also user configurable.
  • Increased broacast distance, so that the followers can heed your commands at greater distances. This feature is also user configurable.
  • Splash screens are now centered.
  • Fixed all lingering UI bugs, such as the map menu navigation button not working properly.
  • Resolved the issue with the Half Ogre Island captain not spawning.
  • Added options to force the game to use windowed mode, software rendererer and double buffer.
  • Scrolling distance is no longer patched to be smaller, and both scrolling distance and scrolling FPS can now be configured in the config file.
  • Streamlined and cleaned up a lot of code. All patch scripts are fully commented.
  • Fixed a 'run as administrator' prompt on newer versions of Windows.
  • The DDrawCompat wrapper is included in the patch and can be optionally installed, recommended for Windows 8/10 users.
More information.

It needs an HD version. I wonder if they kept the original graphics sources?

This is awesome guys. Thanks Drog!

- Compiled a completely new crisp sharp size 18 dialog font which is true to the original.

10/10

Balance, yes, but I don't see how one could "fix" HP-bloat without redoing the whole game.

Anyone have an issue with the "Unofficial" patch?

I pointed it at the Arcanum installation folder, but it errors out and says it can't find Arcanum. The other patches worked fine pointed at the same place.

fyi I'm using the Steam version.

That is precisely my question: is this patch compatible with GOG's version ?

Awesome !
This one will be high on the list, when my backlog is empty..

Great work, Drog ... been waiting for this patch for a while now.

Haven't played the game in ages. Is there a patch out that does something to balance?

Is it feasible to play a stealth/archer type character?

Is it truly finished?

Anyone have an issue with the "Unofficial" patch?

I pointed it at the Arcanum installation folder, but it errors out and says it can't find Arcanum. The other patches worked fine pointed at the same place.

fyi I'm using the Steam version.

You need to point it to the .../Arcanum/Arcanum/ folder. Yes, that's two Arcanums.

It looks like they added a lot of nice tweaks. Of course they release this now after I finally finished Arcanum last year. :)

My game crashes with the ddrawcomp thingy on :(

The game is still quite buggy even with the unofficial patch. It took me a couple of hours just to get it running right. I didn't have any crashing issues, but it ran very slow and choppy for me at first. I recall having to do somthing with some .dll files to get it to run better.

My game crashes with the ddrawcomp thingy on :(

It was made with ddx7 but they released it with ddx8 without fully testing it for some reason. I recall that was a cause of either a major memory leak or a sound problem.

--

What we need is to be able to integrate the unofficial patch that fixed a horde of bugs and one of the balance mods. Then make sure they are compatible with this!

This new one doesn't work for me. If I install it without the ddraw part the mouse is super jerky and the program dies shortly after loading a save game. If I install it with the the ddraw part the game crashes immediately upon starting. I am going back to the old one. :-(

Update: After looking around in the Arcanum directory tree I am going to reinstall Arcanum and try the new one again from scratch. I think my previous install (which I tried to undo) still left some gorp around.

Update update: No good even over a clean install.

Last edited:
If I'm already running the Multiverse Edition batch patch released in March then how do I install THIS patch?

Back
Top Bottom