Skyrim Level Scaling in Skyrim, seems there will be hope.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor
I was browsing gamebanshee's news and encountered a Skyrim interview talking about the level scaling system in the game.

"5) Are loot and quest rewards level scaled, like in Oblivion? Will there be any powerful un-scaled items?
Bruce: We’re handling leveling stuff similar to how we did in Fallout 3, but with a few new twists that we hope players won’t even notice. The enemies and loot are based on the “encounter zone” you’re in, so it could be higher or lower level than your current level. We do have a new concept of epic or “special” loot that you can randomly find in many cases, regardless of the zone, and you will still get better stuff in the better zones with your level higher. Same goes for quest rewards. We try to make them appropriate for what you did. Sometimes that is random, sometimes that is a set item. There’s a lot of specific stuff that is very powerful, like the Daedric artifacts."

It seems Bethesda is learned some of its past mistakes. More reason anticipating Skyrim.

Full interview is here:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1207390-skyrim-fan-interview/

We do have a new concept of epic or “special” loot that you can randomly find in many cases, regardless of the zone, and you will still get better stuff in the better zones with your level higher

I don't like the impression I get from that statement. Epic items shouldn't be randomized imo, and it sounds like loot is still tied to your character's level.

I don't like the impression I get from that statement. Epic items shouldn't be randomized imo, and it sounds like loot is still tied to your character's level.

I agree. Why do they have to populate their world using random generators? They should put a little thought and care into it. I get bored by generic randomly generated areas, loot, and monsters...

I really hope they go back to a rewards-for-exploring system, and this makes it sound like they might be doing a bit of that. The random super loot does sound a bit suspect, though. It's an Elder Scrolls game, not Diablo.

A Rant:
What sorts of cosmetic options, like beards, tattoos, or body proportions, are available? Can we edit them later in the game?
Matt:
There is large amount of customization available for each race. You can choose from multiple hair styles, beards, scars, and face paint. Each race and gender has a light and heavy build and you can pick any level in between. We’ve completely redone our facial system, and we’re really excited to show off the results.

I can't for the life of me understand why the crowd at the Skyrim forums is so obsessed with this subject as to take up one of the 25 questions that were answered. For fucks sake already.

A Rave:
Will any sort of karma system be incorporated like there was in Fallout, or will it be the Fame/Infamy system of Oblivion?
Bruce: We don’t provide a numeric score that you can track, but the game knows if you’ve been naughty or nice. We felt that a number really didn’t do your fame justice. Characters in the world will acknowledge the specific things you have done rather than just a generalized reputation. If you are a criminal, they’ll know that too. But if you pay your debt to society, all is forgiven.

[Emphasis Mine]

I really like this... it is much more meaningful than a reputation number imho.

loot that you can randomly find in many cases, regardless of the zone

Annihilation of the joy of exploration. Why walk all the way to explore the mountains far north, when the goblins outside the starting village might carry the same item?

Annihilation of the joy of exploration. Why walk all the way to explore the mountains far north, when the goblins outside the starting village might carry the same item?

My thoughts exactly. From what I read, it seems better to wait till few modders had their way with the game first!

If you are a criminal, they’ll know that too. But if you pay your debt to society, all is forgiven

I really hope that, if I kill someone and know one was there to see it, then no one knows about it!

Exactly. I still love the way Gothic handled that, by creating natural boundaries by placing stronger enemies at choke points, and with unique loot strewn about in hard to reach places.

I can't for the life of me understand why the crowd at the Skyrim forums is so obsessed with this subject as to take up one of the 25 questions that were answered. For fucks sake already.

People like character customisation in RPGs. Be that skills, backgrounds, clothes, mannerisms. Physical design is just another element of that and it's really important to some people.

Because if the system is designed in a smart way then the Goblins out of the starter village will have a 0.2% chance of dropping an "epic" or special piece of loot and the much tougher critters in the mountains far north will have a 1% to 3% drop chance or maybe even higher. So unless they implement the ability to farm mobs while AFK it will be more worthwhile to get off your virtual ass and do some 'splorin'.

Well, at least I sincerely hope that's how they are going to do it. Make the drops extremely rare for low level mobs in low level zones and increase the rate carefully the higher the level of the mob and the more dangerous the zone you are in. Simple, really. Game design 101.

Personally, I'd have absolutely no problem with random loot like that. I also think that it will be a nice diversion from all of those games where you have hand-placed follow-these-walkthrough-instructions-to-obtain-this-item loot. Would be kinda boring if all games were the same, no? ;)
Rare random loot would be a welcome change of pace (making the loot hunt a more dynamic experience) in my opinion.
I just hope they get it right and don't tailor it too much to the instant gratification crowd that goes mental if they don't get an epic in under two minutes into the game... :roll:

Random rare drops are half the fun of MMO's, so we know how they work. Should they be a part of an SP game? Perhaps, but only if there is re-spawning!!

People like character customisation in RPGs. Be that skills, backgrounds, clothes, mannerisms. Physical design is just another element of that and it's really important to some people.

I'm not against character customization and tattoos its just that this subject takes up a disproportionate amount of forum-space relative to its overall importance to the game as a whole. People are obsessed about tattoos on the Skyrim forum.

I'm not against character customization and tattoos its just that this subject takes up a disproportionate amount of forum-space relative to its overall importance to the game as a whole. People are obsessed about tattoos on the Skyrim forum.

My feeling exactly. If you go the official forums, this is all you see. I for one will welcome better faces models etc but I won't loose sleep over it, if its wasn't included.

I also read that you can get married and if you have a house, your wife will move in :lol:

I have little faith in Bethesda designing a good loot system, as it seems to be the kind of thing they truly suck at.

But the simple and traditional way of handling randomised loot without breaking the game, is to have loot tables. It's been the standard of most MMOs since their inception.

Meaning Goblins will have a very different loot table from that of Dragons.

Their looting option will make a solid RPG element. Good work.

Back
Top Bottom