What games are you playing now?

Okay, since I'm too busy till this weekend, I'll probably give it a shot in a few days. Thanks.

About gamestopper DX bug, in my case savegames got corrupted (power surge and PC restarted during the game) I managed to fix it by creating a new game then copying old files over it but it continued with some odd crashes, later I've seen on Steam forum that I'm not the only one with the issue. It was also without DLC. I bought a new UPS in the meantime but still haven't connected it… Lazyness… ;)

I played Dungeon Siege III non stop for almost 12 hours except for eating in front of the computer and got about 50% through. It is an action game with roleplaying elements and I have yet to see more than one companion which is far from the large party you control in previous games. Dialogue is in the game but it's not very detailed. The world is nicely done but it's a bit cramped with not so variated foes.

Dungeon Siege III is a very interesting composition. It's like veterans of RPG-making creates a poor mans action-rpg. The 2-party maximum baffles me... Why?! Dungeon Siege 1-2 used no less than 6 characters at the same time. The Dialogue uses the horrible wheel from Mass Effect which removes both context and subtleness. The areas are very small and boxed in and the subquests are few without much choice.

As an action-RPG it might actually be good to compare the game to games such as Gothic or Two-Worlds and it's actually better than both in pure gameplay. In the mentioned games, if you play a mage you better get used to that fireball because you are going to hurl it nonstop for days and that's pretty much what you do. Dungeon Siege III do what I would have done if I built an action RPG; give me ease access to multiple different attacks that each can be customized to create a fast-paced but effective strategy. About 2/3 through the game you have access to no less than 9 different abilities at the same time, which is a lot for an action-rpg and they can be combined for very effective combinations.

In Dungeon Siege III you benefit from thinking when you set up your character because you wish to design strategies that go well together. For instance, I play Katarina the ranged fighter and I have made her into a critical master. She have a strong long-range single-target attack and weak close-range multi-target attack. Since I have prioritized agility (to increase crit-chance) I have weak health and armor, but by equipping my short range weapons with Ice and Weaken I will most likely cause groups of close enemies to slow down and deal less damage, so my criticals actually becomes my defense. I also rely on something called "Doom" which ultimate purpose is to increase the damage of critical damage. I also have a few buffs that improves my defenses and healing over time while keeping foes away so I can rely on long-range shots.

Now if I would make a melee build with the tank Lucas, I would have used completely different stats, such as relying on Stamina that improves health, Armor that reduces damage, block that improves defenses even more for a shield wearing character, stagger that stuns foes you attacked, retribution that deals damage back to attackers and warding that also stuns them.

Anjali, which is my "half-mage" rely on area damage instead and definitely benefits from one of the many damage-over-time traits such as fire, vampire etc. Since she uses powers she benefits from having a lot of Will (that improves magic strength) and Momentum (that recovers mana).

By giving no less than 4-5 different stats for a single purpose (improving criticals, improving defenses, improving area effects) the customization is heavy.

Managed to finish the DLC in Dungeon Siege 3 today (Treasures of the Sun) which begins about 80% into the game, but its beneficial to have it installed from start since you find an extra type of items if you do which can be really useful later on, items used in the games enhancement system.

Picked up Dragon Ages 1 Ultimate edition, never played all of the extra content so I'm looking forward to getting into all of that!! So far it's been a blast, revisting the stuff I've not seen in almost 3 yrs.

-Carn

Ultima underworld 1. It's pretty amazing. The gameplay systems are deep, the puzzles fun, and I'm actually liking the unusual mouse controls for combat. For example, the identification system is not just binary. A scepter may be identified with no lore skill as worn. With a little skill it may be identfied as magical. With more skill, a wand of magic arrows. And I think more gives you number of charges. Also, it seems you can only use your skill when the item is in your inventory, not while it's on the floor.

Orcs must Die is very good game. I was sure it would be a boring tower defense type game, but 6 hours later I still want to go back for more. It's more than defense, it's got a "head shot!" shooter element to it as well which can really turn the tide of battle. Not only is it fun, it's brutally funny - the Orcs are muttering and complaining as theyre getting slain en masse. I was rolling the first time one of them said "but im only half-orc!" before he was cut in two. An unexpected treat so far, best 5 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Also playing some "My Pet Dungeon" mode in Dungeon Keeper2 for a while to chill out. FYI- i know GOG's DK2 didnt work for 7x64 when they released it, i was one of the first ones to call them on it and warn people. Well, they fixed it, it's safe to purchase now. Playing it without any problems on 7x64 netbook at the moment, and it runs flawlessly no crashes. Played thru a few scenarios yesterday too, no problems.

Last edited:
Ive always wanted to explore the Legacy of Kain series, only played the original game way back when. Just picked up LOK: Soul Reaver @ gog for 6 bucks.

It's a bitch to get going, and the controls actually had me busting out an old Logitech gamepad to play with, but it seems pretty cool so far!

Ive always wanted to explore the Legacy of Kain series, only played the original game way back when. Just picked up LOK: Soul Reaver @ gog for 6 bucks.

It's a bitch to get going, and the controls actually had me busting out an old Logitech gamepad to play with, but it seems pretty cool so far!

Character and camera controls are pretty annoying in the LOK games. But other than that they're amazing action adventure games, with one of the most intriguing and complex storylines I've encountered.

I've been digging out TRopico again, the vry first game of its series, and it's one of the very few games that permanently exist on my hrddisk.

Since I found out that its "Gold" version accepts a virtual CD drive, I've been even more happy to play it, since this means that I don't need to fumble around searching for its CD anymore.

I've began my xth (meaning : so many that I lost count) settlement, and barely managed o survive a huge tropical storm which has destroyed quite a lot of buildings - and all farms. Due top my error of builing up the Coffee farm too early (instead of building up food farms) for getting the economy up and running again , I received quite a lot of hate from the starving inhabitants.

The next election was … "fumbled" a little bit :D , and/but I barely survived it by 29 votes for me against 27 against me - real outcome. My advisor says that it wasn't necessary to … "work" … with the ballot papers, after all.

But well, after this "food crisios" was resolved, my popularity soon rose again. :)

And after it, another thunderstorm met my island.

But this time the damages were easy to neglect (almost none).

El Presidente ( me ! :D ) is going to build/re-build his own birthplace in the not-so-distant future. It will be a major tourist and natives attraction, adding to the "entertainment" factor.

On the flip side, the game says that only 2 of my birthplaces can be built …

It's official: Vogel's games are exactly 'my kind of thing'
After finishing Avadon and Avernum EftP, and immensely enjoying both of them (yeah all right, Avermum maybe a little more) I'm now playing Geneforge and I love it just as much, if not even more.

I expected I'd get bored of his style if I didn't take a break, but I think I'm about half way through the first game and I just look forward to going through the entire saga more and more.

I'd kick myself for not having played any of these games before but that only means that there is a whole bunch of them for me to enjoy for the first time, so right now I'm too happy to be regretful.

I finished Orc: Vegenance. Silly simple game that it was. But now Undercroft, this has some meat, with being able to create a party of four, turned based combat with realtime move ala Wizardry. It's a bit annoying that my spell casters are always running low on stamina, but otherwise a lot of fun. I have a fighter, summoner, priest, and mage. Looks like their is some cool gear for assassins, so kind of regret not picking that one. I'm playing the summoner as a shapeshifter.

Playing Slender, because my colleague didn't dare to dl and play it ... thus he asked me if I wanted to try it first.
o_o O_O :help:
I know Slender's a free wee tiny shortish piece of free internet myth game, but *gulp* I feel so reminded of Shalebridge Cradle.

I kind of "lost" 3 hours or more to Trine yesterday night. when I looked at the clock, it was almost half past 1 in the early morning/night.

Faster Than Light. Really nice game, fun to play a little here and there. Great music too.

Dark Souls. Spent too many hours on this now, i mean it's a good game but wow it just eats time like it's made out of candy hehe

System Shock 2. Always installed on my computer, gonna start a serious re-play soon, so far just modded it up a bit ;)

Finally bought Cubase 6 so more "play" and less gaming for a while now!

Another session of Trine. This game really reminds me of the good old times of puzzle-based Jump & Run games !

@vurt- How are you playing Faster Than Light already? Are you participating in the Beta?

As for myself…

Red Faction: Armageddon - A decent shooter with average visuals and gameplay. Nothing to write home about, but it's a fun time waster.

Starship Troopers - A first-person shooter based on the movie, although it follows a different storyline. It's a mediocre game in every aspect, but something keeps drawing me back to it. Tons of enemies onscreen, and it does a good job of recreating the atmosphere of the film.

Inquisitor - I've basically just been experimenting with different characters so far.

Red Faction: Armageddon - A decent shooter with average visuals and gameplay. Nothing to write home about, but it's a fun time waster.

JDR13, has it got any replay value? Also have you tried the Ruin and Survivor modes? what is your thought about them? I have found the game cheaply and wondering of buying but fear it is not as good as Guerilla.

Back
Top Bottom