System Shock - Fan Remake

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
According to DSOGaming a fan remake of the first System Shock is in the works:

Citadel is an open-source fan remake of the first System Shock in Unity 5 Engine

I’m pretty sure that a lot of System Shock fans are a bit disappointed after what happened with its official remake. According to the latest reports, this remake now targets a 2020 release. However, we may actually a play a different remake of System Shock sooner than that. JosiahJack is currently working on an open-source fan remake of the classic System Shock game in Unity 5 Engine and has announced that he targets to release a beta version in Q3 2018.

As JosiahJack claimed, this project is now 80% complete and the team aims to release its first version on September 22nd, 2018. Of course nothing is set on stone yet and this fan project may get delayed. After all, it has been in development for a couple of years and originally targeted a 2015-2016 release.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

It would be more than funny if a bunch of hobbyists outperform a bunch of "professionals".

Though not entirely surprising, given the performance of the "professionals" so far...

Not sure I agree with the comment "given the performance of the 'professionals' so far..."

It would be more than funny if a bunch of hobbyists outperform a bunch of "professionals".

Though not entirely surprising, given the performance of the "professionals" so far…

I wish them good luck with the Cease & Desist lawsuit.

I tend to be on the more on the "glass half-full" side. Looking back at JosiahJack's posts it appears that the project started in the Summer of 2014, switched engines in the Summer of 2015 and went quiet until now. The site is ModDB.

If I had to guess I would think that JJ tends to be on the optimistic side given his past record but it is a beta that is being released (hopefully) in the Autumn. I am not sure how much work is left getting from beta to full working version.

Given that the other lot are going back to "basics" I think that the legal action is a real threat. Of course they could just buy him out and finish the game.

The first fan remake got shut down years ago on Cease and Desist.

The kickstart - well you know they had to spend some of that cash on getting a license. They would have had to get something in writing before they started.

Back
Top Bottom