TRIALS of MANA - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Trials of Mana J-RPG remake is now available:

Trials of Mana

When the world was shrouded in darkness, the Goddess of Mana drew forth the Sword of Mana to smite the eight Benevodons, monsters of destruction.

She sealed the horrors inside the eight Mana Stones, bringing the realm back from the brink.

Weakened from rebuilding the world, the Goddess changed herself into a tree and fell into a deep sleep for many years.

However, the forces of evil soon sought to free the Benevodons to gain control of the world.

They started a terrible war to further their plot and destabilize the kingdoms.

Peace was at an end. Mana itself began to disappear from the world and the Mana Tree started to wither...
More information.

I think I perhaps played secrets of mana or someting like that on an emulator a lot of years a go and i can´t remember anything about it except the name

I guess I´m asking if this is something to get excited about is it a classic that I have missed

I guess I´m asking if this is something to get excited about is it a classic that I have missed

I'm playing this right now.

FYI: Trials of Mana has three points of significance:

1. This is the third part of the Mana series, which are some sort of precursors of today's action RPGs -- you had to hone your reflexes to battle and master the surprisingly deep party and character management system as well. This remake improves on the action gameplay significantly, while retaining the original's RPG elements.

2. Mana 3 is an old SNES game that was never officially translated to English, apart from last year's Mana Collection. This remake has (quite good) English text and (horrible) English voices. For all things holy, switch to Japanese voices! So, finally you can enjoy the somewhat simple, but VERY REPLAYABLE storyline.

3. Mana 3 on SNES is one of the most beautiful pixel art games EVER made. This remake does an admirable job to translate everything to 3D though. The character art is quite good (if you like Japanese anime, such as Dragonball) and the environments are beautiful.

Okay, but should you play it?
If you are okay with jRPGs and infused with a healthy dose of nostalgia, then my answer is a solid YES. This is how old games should be remade for the new generation.

If you are obsessed with made-for-PC Western RPGs with strategical zero-action gameplay, stats galore, and "dark", "mature" storylines, then you should PASS. This game will be too childish and console-y for you.

If you are okay with jRPGs
Still didn't write why is Valkyria Chronicles 4, a jRPG, 10/10 game.
My love for Trails of Cold Steel, three jRPGs is already known.

Are you saying after such statement of yours, and my "obsession" with (certain) jRPGs, I'll enjoy Trials of Mana too?
Somehow I doubt it - if the trailer is to be trusted, I see a cringeworthy dub, irritating music and boring gameplay.

Knew it. :D

It's a pass for me too. Only seeing the dubbing and character models gives me the shivers. I don't know why all these JRPGs look like at any point I may run into a hentai scene, the overly sexualised lolis are just ridiculous. I get Japan is a sexually repressed country but if this is their form of expression, it's getting really unimaginative.

I have no problem with jrpg or anime but I migth have a problem with arpg

I'm going to check it out, I have heard good things about it actually.

Back
Top Bottom