KoA: Reckoning - Getting a Remaster in August

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PC Gamer Kingdoms of Amalur will be available in a new remastered form in August. This new edition will be subtitled the Re-Reckoning and will have improved gameplay and graphics.

It's not quite a return, but the game is getting a remaster. A listing on the Microsoft Store confirms that Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning will release on August 11. According to the product description it is "remastered with stunning visuals and refined gameplay," and all DLC will be included.

The remaster is being handled by Kaiko, which worked on the Darksiders remasters as well as Legend of Kay: Anniversary Edition, to name a few.

[...]
More information.

Oh my.. I remember this game being a grindy mess... and yet I had quite some fun with it. Much of that feeling may be rosy retrospection but I'll keep an eye on this and see just in case.

I finally got around to playing this as a 360 backwards compatibility title about 18 months ago - it was my "Christmas Game" that year. It was huge - I think I only finished the first three regions before the holiday was over, and my time/enthusiasm waned.

I *did* enjoy it quite a lot, though. There were plenty of quests, and quite a few interesting systems to discover, but so much content got rather repetative.

I'd like to go back, but I doubt this version will maintain my progress, and I'm not sure I could face starting over given the size of the game and timesink it involves. However, for people who haven't tried it for some reason, they may well have a lot of fun, at least until they run out of steam :)

People mention this in the same breath of Dragon Age Origins. I have never played the game KoA itself but I sort of like DA:O. Don't need anymore chosen one narratives though, played out that particular narrative. Unless it is "Guilded Age" which managed to have something relatively fresh to say, sort of.

http://guildedage.net/comic/chapter-1-cover/

Origins has everything and no respawns. Amalur has only respawns and nothing else.

Honestly I have no idea why Amalur failed. The core design which is grind till you drop dead made Blizzard rich. On the other hand no game managed to be WoW killer.
Maybe they just picked the wrong platform. I bet it would be a bestseller if it was on phones with the setup where to open respawned chests you need to pay a dollar.
But if I'm right thinking that, why the remaster why not the phoneport?

I seem to remember at the time that quite a lot of folks thought it had some good things going for it, and could have been a much better game with a few changes. Perhaps they'll fix it up into something more interesting.

More likely it'll be part of the tide of mediocrity I was banging on about, though. :p

The original house of ballads quest is quite innovative. Unfortunately, it is the only quest that is fleshed out and worthy of completing. The rest of the game is fetch and kill stuff with respawns that are insane. If they turn off respawns, this is a day 1 purchase for me. If they don't turn them off it's a day never purchase.

Judging by the other THQ Nordic remasters, this too will be just another thin layer of new paint. But as long as it's a free upgrade. It could use a native FOV adjustment tool though.

Not sure why someone would compare DA:O and KoA:R as one is isometric, party-based, RTwP RPG, while the other one is action RPG. But whatever.

I personally didnt like KoA as everything felt bland and artificial. The only thing that kept me going for some time was somewhat interesting action combat. Everything else disappointed me.

Not sure why someone would compare DA:O and KoA:R as one is isometric, party-based, RTwP RPG, while the other one is action RPG. But whatever.

I personally didnt like KoA as everything felt bland and artificial. The only thing that kept me going for some time was somewhat interesting action combat. Everything else disappointed me.
Pretty much this.
You just notice at every moment in the gameplay that the game was originally meant to be WoW-style MMO with fetch quests and kill X quests everywhere. Same with the too-large world, etc. It's basically an MMO without other people.

Not really sure what they could do about that in a remaster.

The problem with this one was that the balance was way off....you got to the point you were laying waste and no challenge....it needed a few more months in the oven, it was a very good looking game though.

Ok, show hands now! Who asked for this?
Game is a grind-fest with some silver linings. Also, after half the game you are so over-powered already that every fight becomes trivial... and boring.

When I think of RPGs I'd like to see remastered, I think of games like Ultima Underworld, Betrayal at Krondor, Dark Sun, etc.

Instead, we get this…

Ok, show hands now! Who asked for this?
I asked for a single player version of Secret World. They might have given this to me as a "reasonable substitute"? My grocery store would totally do that.

I asked for a single player version of Secret World. They might have given this to me as a "reasonable substitute"? My grocery store would totally do that.

I play zero MMOs (dabbled in the Star Wars one for a minute, didn't like it) but I was sorely tempted by Secret World in both its incarnations. I would love to see a single player version.

I play zero MMOs (dabbled in the Star Wars one for a minute, didn't like it) but I was sorely tempted by Secret World in both its incarnations. I would love to see a single player version.
Me to but I would do anything to get an Offline version of BioWare's Star Wars MMO as well. Not kidding they have so much content in that MMO, and I hate playing MMO's.

It literally feels/plays like an SP game forced to go online.

Besides the obvious graphics facelift, one can always hope they also address the major gameplay issues.

Besides the obvious graphics facelift, one can always hope they also address the major gameplay issues.
Highly doubt that as this is mostly just a graphic/engine facelift.

Fingers crossed I get proved wrong. Nothing can fix the ending though.:(

Hehe! But yeah, I would be down for a single-player Secret World.
A remaster of KoA nobody needs. It is just not a very good game, facelift or not.

Back
Top Bottom