Disco Elysium - Interview about the Game and What's Next

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Escapist interviewed the creator of Disco Elysium about the IP, their inspirations, and thoughts on the medium in general.

Disco Elysium released on Oct. 15, but Kurvitz isn't resting yet. He's currently working on porting the game to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 next year and translating it into Chinese and various European languages. He's also focused on an English translation of Sacred and Terrible Air that will be released next year, and he has plans for an expansion and full sequel for Disco Elysium.

"We have an insanely ambitious list of projects we want to make in the Elysium setting," he said. "The last one I want to make, when I'm 50 or 60, that I want to absolutely go crazy on and throw out all commercial considerations and get this as conceptual as possible, is the tabletop setting. The working title for the tabletop setting is You Are Vapor. It will be a really, really, crazy pen-and-paper game."

Next year, the team also plans to release a manifesto sharing their cultural ethos. Kurvitz said ZA/UM is less a studio and more a cultural movement in the vein of Dadaism or Fluxus, and they're just using video games as their medium rather than theater or painting. The group shares a passion for ambitious humanitarian culture and a hatred of elitism. They're also self-identified nerds who draw as much inspiration from 19th century realist novels as they do from Baldur's Gate II.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

It gets good reviews. I will eventually have a look at it. I have quite a number of isometric RPGs already, including Pillars of Eternity 2 to get through already.

disco will raise the standards so high that you will light candles for it for all the time it will save you.
play it fast and be free

Could they please do a *real* dance game ?

"Kurvitz said ZA/UM is less a studio and more a cultural movement in the vein of Dadaism or Fluxus"...:rolleyes:

I can't help myself after seeing that sentence! :p

Yes. It's good. One of the best I've played in a while: well-crafted, absorbing and engaging. You play a role (the MC), and make choices whose outcomes are determined by skill-point investitures, and I am looking forward to a sequel (or at least the novel).

Back
Top Bottom