Original Sin - Review Roundup

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here is a set of reviews for Larian Studios Divinity Original Sin.

Gambit Magazine, 5/5

In conclusion, Divinity Original Sin is an amazing game that manages to merge the brilliant PC RPG’s of old and infuse it with many modern-day elements. It’s not a perfect game, but it sure has a lot less bugs and glitches that plagued Skyrim and critics showered that game with needless praise. I can’t recommend Divinity Original Sin enough and I just hope that other publications also take note of what I hope doesn’t end up as a hidden gem for the PC
APG, 8/10

Not everything is great, though. While the graphics aren't bad, the models used for characters within the game are all very similar. I was disappointed by how difficult it can be to find specific npcs for quests and often frustrated by trying to figure out where I could find merchants that sell specific spells or skills. Certain items are only obtainable through specific spells or skills which can make the player frustrated that they didn't begin with this class or another.
Softpedia, 9.5/10

Divinity: Original Sin is not perfect by any means, but it attempts to reach perfection nonetheless and offers one of the most complex role-playing game experiences currently available. Developer Larian still has a lot of work ahead, primarily in the form of patches that iron out its various kinks, mainly of technical nature, but it’s definitely a very polished experience as it stands.
AGR, 9.3/10

Overall, Divinity: Original Sin is a massive RPG in scope which takes on our usual tendencies for RPG's and smashes them high and wide. The combat is a massive breath of fresh air, the story is enjoyable and expansive, the music is fantastic while the length of play is large. If you enjoy RPG's of any kind, you'll love Divinity: Original Sin.
Subjective Gaming

Now, I’ve had quite a lot to say about Original Sin, both good and bad, but I don’t want you to come away from this thinking that I didn’t enjoy my romp through the world of Rivellon. Overall I actually think that this is a very solid game and most of the problems I mentioned only show up enough to remind you that they’re there but don’t stick around. The intricate combat is a blast to use and the world is vibrant and full of life, both hostile and friendly. It’s available on the Steam store for $40 and you’ll certainly get your money’s worth in terms of content. The game even features an easy difficulty if you’re not sure you’re capable of handling the challenge, as well as a hard difficulty for those who aren’t challenged enough.
More information.

The APG review blurb above mentions how it can be difficult to find certain things; or that players may be "frustrated" that because their class or skill choices kept them from using certain items. To that I say: good!
That's some of what makes this game so well made. In this game, I no longer feel that regardless of what stupid decisions I make I can easily breeze through the game and expect to use every item and see every possible NPC and story twist just by mashing buttons and following the pointy arrow. Such simplified mechanics make games feel sterile and pointless.
D:OS is the first full-fledged, original RPG I've played in over five years (at least) that gets it all right. It is easy to tell the team is truly passionate about the game they've created; not by what they've said but because of the resultant product of their efforts. As they say, the proof is in the pudding. As with anything, I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's about perfect for me.

i've hit around the level 10-12 range and the difficult ramps up nicely and makes combat a challenge. i have not been entranced with a game like this for years.

Actually I agree with him; It is not clear to me (or sometime I forget) where someone is or someone went (fore xample where did jake go after evelyn death - he said something to me but i couldn't find it in the log and now I cant' find him). You might argue that I made a mistake missing what he said or forgetting but the end result is now he is lost (probably in his wife'shome or graveyard but not sure). Same thing with portals - they have no label so I have to ;'guess' the name of each one when I teleport around. There is a ton of little stuff like that that annoys me and I think could be much better - there is a wide gap between an arrow that sez go here and totally obnious. Another example; in black-cove - one picture I can't reach (not sure yet why) even though it is on the wall of a building but magcially i can't reach it. Another picture I can't reach (same area other building) I ahve to destroy. Why can't i reach either one; why can i only destroy one of them. I guess that is a hint I need to do something but very odd to require specific somethign.

The APG review blurb above mentions how it can be difficult to find certain things; or that players may be "frustrated" that because their class or skill choices kept them from using certain items. To that I say: good!
That's some of what makes this game so well made. In this game, I no longer feel that regardless of what stupid decisions I make I can easily breeze through the game and expect to use every item and see every possible NPC and story twist just by mashing buttons and following the pointy arrow. Such simplified mechanics make games feel sterile and pointless.
D:OS is the first full-fledged, original RPG I've played in over five years (at least) that gets it all right. It is easy to tell the team is truly passionate about the game they've created; not by what they've said but because of the resultant product of their efforts. As they say, the proof is in the pudding. As with anything, I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's about perfect for me.

i've hit around the level 10-12 range and the difficult ramps up nicely and makes combat a challenge. i have not been entranced with a game like this for years.
Usually, when I get into a really good RPG, I'll play it all night and then look at the clock and it's 6AM or 7AM or something. With D:OS, I looked at the clock one night and it was 3PM (the next day…)

By the way, this is a tweet from the guy handling the D:OS review for GameSpot (of all places): https://twitter.com/fiddlecub/status/486037664219414529

Couldn't agree more.

Actually I agree with him; It is not clear to me (or sometime I forget) where someone is or someone went (fore xample where did jake go after evelyn death - he said something to me but i couldn't find it in the log and now I cant' find him).
You don't need to remember where he went as you'll meet him later since it's main story. Unless he had a legendary item you didn't have enough cash to buy from him and now you can't find him.
Graveyard tombstone by the dog who talks to you if you have animal friend talent where you dug up his coffin with a sheep corpse inside.

Same thing with portals - they have no label so I have to ;'guess' the name of each one when I teleport around.
Absolutely with you on this. It's one of those annoying minor things betatesters ignored that should be addressed with a patch.

Another example; in black-cove - one picture I can't reach (not sure yet why) even though it is on the wall of a building but magcially i can't reach it. Another picture I can't reach (same area other building) I ahve to destroy. Why can't i reach either one; why can i only destroy one of them. I guess that is a hint I need to do something but very odd to require specific somethign.
First painting (woman) - explore that room better. That is a result of another bad design choice I've mentioned before - ALT doesn't highlight all objects, just pickables with a value more than 1 coin.
There is a lever hard to spot in that room. That room has a secret trapdoor that leads to a whole new area.

Second painting (landscape), in the room you get trapped in by a random mage, is a bug. There are two ways to solve the trap problem.
One, to disconnect a party member so he can freely roam and find a switch under a box. Second, drop a pyramid somewhere outside then teleport onto it when trapped.
Whatever you do, that painting will remain unpickable.

Same thing with portals - they have no label so I have to ;'guess' the name of each one when I teleport around.

You can put your own flag on the map. I'm abusing that feature personally.

I don't want to do that on every single thing.

I'm putting it only on "secrets" as, again a design choice, when you loot a chest from a treasure map you've bought from the painter in the town or certain woman in your base, it still stays pinned to the map.
The part "secrets" in the journal doesn't work as quests, you don't know which one you found and which one you still didn't thus the only solution is to use red flags.

It's very odd betatesters and early access players didn't tell Larian to improve those.
Yes they're minor things, but all combined are a reason this game really can't be 10/10.
9/10 is however totally deserved.

Quite good reviews, actually.

I hope as well that this game will be noticed by all. Mind me, not liked by all, that would be silly, but noticed.

Would have been nice to have simple labels on the map as you find stuff. The Inn, Cook's House, Warehouse, etc. I keep getting lost in the first town.

Love this game though.

Most of the buildings do get labelled as you visit them. Two of the ones you mentioned, the Cook's House and Warehouse, are among the only exceptions in Cyseal.

I agree with you 100%.

Regarding finding NPCs, places, and whatnot, I love the fact that I play the game with a separate laptop next to me on which I type notes to help me remember things the game doesn't track. I used to do this with games of old such as Ultima and Wizardry (but using a notepad) and I find that when you take your own notes it actually draws you into the game world even more, at least for me.

On the aspect of the game where you discover limits to characters only after you've made choices - to that again I agree. It really helps me to roleplay what I've got and make due with my situation as best I can. It is quite satisfying to overcome an obstacle with characters who by design aren't well suited to a particular circumstance (such as characters who are weak to magical attacks having to deal with a heavy onslaught of magic casters). At the same time, there will also be situations where your characters will really shine. The entire situation also makes for great replay value.

Most of the buildings do get labelled as you visit them. Two of the ones you mentioned, the Cook's House and Warehouse, are among the only exceptions in Cyseal.

Weird. The only labeled building on my map is where the general (or leader, can't remember the name) is. I can see the portals, but they aren't labeled either.

Yeah, you should be getting labels on most buildings of interest. Then again once you spend a few hours in the city, you will learn where everything is.

Weird. The only labeled building on my map is where the general (or leader, can't remember the name) is. I can see the portals, but they aren't labeled either.

Did you enter the buildings? I think the tag only get displayed once you set foot on them or get really close to them.

Entering the buildings, I agree, should get you the flags.

I don't want to do that on every single thing.

I'm putting it only on "secrets" as, again a design choice, when you loot a chest from a treasure map you've bought from the painter in the town or certain woman in your base, it still stays pinned to the map.
The part "secrets" in the journal doesn't work as quests, you don't know which one you found and which one you still didn't thus the only solution is to use red flags.

It's very odd betatesters and early access players didn't tell Larian to improve those.
Yes they're minor things, but all combined are a reason this game really can't be 10/10.
9/10 is however totally deserved.

Actually I warned Lar personally when he appeared in global chat about the miniature switch in Black Cove :) Not that they changed it though. :)

The main problem was that the explosion in the next room destroys all hints near the switch…

Actually I agree with him; It is not clear to me (or sometime I forget) where someone is or someone went (fore xample where did jake go after evelyn death - he said something to me but i couldn't find it in the log and now I cant' find him). You might argue that I made a mistake missing what he said or forgetting but the end result is now he is lost (probably in his wife'shome or graveyard but not sure). Same thing with portals - they have no label so I have to ;'guess' the name of each one when I teleport around. There is a ton of little stuff like that that annoys me and I think could be much better - there is a wide gap between an arrow that sez go here and totally obnious. Another example; in black-cove - one picture I can't reach (not sure yet why) even though it is on the wall of a building but magcially i can't reach it. Another picture I can't reach (same area other building) I ahve to destroy. Why can't i reach either one; why can i only destroy one of them. I guess that is a hint I need to do something but very odd to require specific somethign.

Well you sure wouldn't have done well playing an ultima game back in time then.

I use to have pages of paper all over my fathers desk with thing people told me. God for bid my mother did some cleaning and moved my papers around.

And D:OS is still Steam's top seller. I believe it has been every day since release. I'm very happy for Larian. They deserve it. While I haven't played it as much as I'd like due to my current workload, it seems like an excellent game. It hooked me right away.

Back
Top Bottom