The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Has anyone downloaded the bonus media content currently available on The Witcher site? (I think you have to have the game purchased and registered to do so).

I'm listening to one of the downloadable bonus tracks right now - "Born Again", by Rootwater, written specifically about the Witcher. It totally rocks more than the Vader song imho. Good song... I wish they would release the soundtrack to the game here in the USA.

It's a Mad house!!!

By the way some threads are heating up these days, I'm starting to think that
the Watch is turning into a Madhouse!!!

Heheheheheeh! :iloveyou: guys!!!:thumbsup::mwahaha:;p:salute::bow:

Now, behave y'all!

Last edited:
I've got a treat for everyone today. While doing a litle MySpace hunting, I noticed that some record labels had pages, so I looked for an obscure one on a whim to see if I could track down a little info on a great (defunct) group, and found a stream of a really special track.

"Sometimes the Sun Shines" by The Emerald Down (via Honest in Secret label)

A wonderful ep, although this track was not really my favorite at first. It's grown on my quite a bit.

"Stereo Honey" by The Daysleepers

This Danzig "lost tracks" bizness is burning a hole in my brain Ive listened to them so much. Between that and his original Danzig cd and my traditional Samhain overdosing all October long, I'm about 'zigged out. Just about, but not quite

Prepping for the concert you see, Danzig shall be making his rounds this coming Monday night at a pretty small venue here in SD. I guess that should be the apex, the pinnacle of this entire experience. Evil Elvis descends on San Diego. I'll be there.

I'm going to stick around and try and meet him afterward, if I could get a pic with him holding me in a headlock or something that would be so cool

I was surprised to find a clip of this one. It's not the whole song, but enough to get a pretty good taste (although the compression is a little rough). Malory is practically a Slowdive tribute band, but they do it well so I'm perfectly fine with the lack of innovation.

"I Can't Stand" by Malory
(sound clip on bottom left)

For those who want some heavy metal, I found this :

Heavy Metal Radio!!

I'll be looking for a better station because I don't like much that is played there...

Not brutal enough for my taste. Too commercial...

I want frenzied double base drums and infuriated vocals that carry 'til the end of time!!

If somewone know any site that could fit my taste in black, death, and other kinds of devastating metal, don't hesitate to tell me.

It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all.

You know, if you asked me to listen to that when I was a teenager I would have promptly barfed on your shoes... But now I totally like it! :D Weird how our tastes change over the years huh?

@ Dte: Shoegaze doesn't get much airtime on the radio, so I never was exposed to it much, but I like everything you have posted so far. :D

Oh and one more thing.... Opeth is in the studio!! :excited:

@ Dte: Shoegaze doesn't get much airtime on the radio, so I never was exposed to it much, but I like everything you have posted so far. :D
*sensing a potential convert*
We aim to please. There's plenty more where that came from and our cult is always recruiting. Magerette and cm can warn you about the dangers of getting me started...

I doubt that shoegaze has gotten any airtime in the US, outside of the occasional spin on obscure college stations. Well, I take that back. The Verve had "Bittersweet Symphony" in the top 40 a few years back although most properly snooty gazers classified Urban Hymns as Richard Ashcroft's pop sellout cd. Without "120 Minutes" on MTV back in the early 90's, I never would have known the genre existed. Without the Vertigo Live365 station, it would be very difficult to know about what's out there today.

That's where I've heard this genre before - "Bittersweet Symphony." I liked that song. You also hear shoegaze on tv commercials sometimes, but you're right, that's about it here in USA.

Incedentally, what does the term "shoegaze" mean anyway? o_O

while i am just a shoegaze dragonfly compared to dte, i am puzzled how bittersweet symphony falls under shoegaze. are you referring to the verve in general dte? just don't tell me there are any oasis shoegaze songs out there and everything will be alright;)

You know, if you asked me to listen to that when I was a teenager I would have promptly barfed on your shoes... But now I totally like it! :D Weird how our tastes change over the years huh?

Yeah, it's all part of getting older, like the taste of beer. I still love my punk and metal, but Ive really come to appreciate classical music as Ive gotten older. The sound of a woman's voice like hers is the most beautiful sound known to man, imho. That "serenade" song, Good Lord of the Tigers, I'm in love..

Taking my gf to it tomorrow night, should be quite an evening. This dame's gotta be a bit mixed up, one night we're getting hammered by Danzig, the next we're listening to something like this! Well, that's me, I'm a strange guy...

while i am just a shoegaze dragonfly compared to dte, i am puzzled how bittersweet symphony falls under shoegaze. are you referring to the verve in general dte? just don't tell me there are any oasis shoegaze songs out there and everything will be alright;)
Pop sellout album, CU. There's a little bit of gazer guitar work WAY back in the back of the bus if you listen closely, and Richard's vocal treatments are pretty much the same as "Storm in Heaven", but that's about as close as "Bittersweet" comes to shoegaze outside of the band's reputation. I like the song, but it's gazer by association at best.

Ether Aura for me. No links from work, but their MySpace page is readily available. Not sure I care for their new direction much, though.

Oops, missed your question, Jabberwocky. There's a little debate on whether the UK media meant the term as description or insult, but I'm pulling for the former. The guitar sounds are generally run thru a dozen effects pedals which the players manipulate constantly using their feet. The result is that, during a concert, the bands would spend the vast majority of the show rooted to one spot, staring at their feet. There's more to it, but that's the quick and dirty version. Of course, we run into real problems occasionally--Highspire's lead usually performs barefoot, which just pooches the whole thing. ;)

Last edited:
:lol: That's funny. Well that explanation makes sense dte. Thanks

@ Sammy: Yup, that's me too. I like all sorts of different music, but definitely shy away from country.

The clips both die right before the chorus, but it's better than nothing. I really wish the latter one didn't die. The song continues to build and build to a triumphant cresendo, but you really lose that effect when the clip cuts out half way thru. These are 2 of my 3 favorite LSD tunes (the other is "Will You Fade" from the first link, which is also cruelly cut). Enjoy.

"Write in Water"
and
"Stir About the Stars"
by Love Spirals Downward

Edit- Finally got to listen to your clip, Sammy. While there's a pretty big disjoint between the classical work and your usual death metal at first blush, the operatic female vocals (without the bluster of true opera) runs strongly thru both. Do you differentiate on the vocals, though? For me, I can give you vocals that are achingly beautiful (Suzanne Perry in the above clips fits the bill, among others), or I can give you vocals that make love to my ears (Harriet Wheeler of the Sundays and Kaitlyn ni Donovan of the High Violets would fit), but I've never heard a voice that truly belongs in both categories. I wonder if you run into a similar situation, although your "divisions" would probably be different.

Last edited:
ATB - Ecstasy

Great song, reminds me of Depeche Mode (not only due to the "synths", but allso due to the ritch arrangements). A pity it seems to be on another level from all the other ATB-songs I've heard (not many, mind you. I've only got Youtube to go on so far). I'd really like to find some new Depeche-like bands (with the ritch multilayered arrangements that makes Depeche so grat). *hint hint* ;)

Übereil

@Übereil: You should try my personal favorites And One. They started out as a Depeche Mode cover band after all....
Here's one of their latest tracks, Traumfrau . About 50% of their stuff is in German, but, hey... :)

Back
Top Bottom