Skyrim Total conversion mod

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

lostforever

SasqWatch
Is there any good total conversion mods for Skyrim? I would like to try it again but I don't want to go back to the normal game.

If there are no Total conversion mod, is there any good story based mods?

Now that they have announced no more major DLC, I imagine teams interested in doing total conversions will really get rolling. I would imagine fear of major engine altering changes might have kept them leery of going to far with such a project before now.

There aren't total conversion mods like in Oblivion, because Skyrim didn't need that amount of fixing. The whole game balance was skewed in Oblivion. But if you play Skyrim on Hard, it's very satisfying on Vanilla version.

But pretty much anything you want, has already been done in current mods. Better graphics, better realism, better A.I for enemies and followers, etc.

Just google for Best Skyrim Mods.

I think the closest you can get is the tropical conversion mod that completely changes everything to be a tropical setting instead of a snowy one.

Really late for the party, I know, but I just noticed this thread. There ARE total conversion mods for Skyrim. As I've been modding Fallout New Vegas for another playthrough, I've spent a lot of time at Nexusmods and have taken a gander at some of the most popular Skyrim mods too. Of the overhauls, two candidates seem to be the most popular. Caveat: I haven't played either of them, so proceed at your own risk. ;)

- Requiem (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19281), which is supposed to be very tough, but rewarding. Changes everything. I take it it's comparable to what Obscuro's Overhaul was for Oblivion.

- Skyrim Redone (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9286), which is not as brutal as Requiem, I take it, and thus should be easier to get into, but still does change Skyrim quite a lot (e.g. redoes all the perk trees, etc.).

In addition to the two above, there are countless smaller overhauls, concentrating only on combat, loot distribution, NPCs, etc. Just go to nexusmods and start digging!

Total Conversion mods are mods that change the game completely, such as Nehrim. Overhauls just change how the game is played, but it's the same game world. If you still have Winterhold and Solitude, then you're an overhaul. At least that's my take on it.

Ah nice! I was wondering if anyone played the game with Requiem on. I'll try to look into your LP at some point.

How are you finding the mod generally speaking ? Balanced and fun or contrived and frustrating ?

I've only played through the tutorial dungeon so far, and explored a small bit around Riverwood (that part was off camera, just trying to get a feel for Requiem), and I am thrilled by the mod. It makes each encounter a life or death affair, where one wrong move and you could end up dead. It's fair, though, and if you capitalize on your opponent's weakness, they will be dead just as quickly. It really makes the combat have some weight and heft to it, with a good level of anxiety for surviving.

It also adds books (Torturer's Guide, Skyrim Bestiary are the 2 that I've seen so far), items (torture tools, embalming equipment, etc.), makes perks MUCH more important (you can't do much of anything without the proper perks. Even haggling for prices is needed with a perk, or else you'll get ripped off by greedy merchants.). It de-levels the entire world so encounters can be too difficult at early levels. It also cuts down on the respawn rate so you can clear areas a bit better. It does a lot of different stuff.

So far, it seems great in my limited time with it. I actually am dying now, quite a few times in the tutorial dungeon alone, and that actually feels good. And running behind an enemy while they are busy with my follower and getting a fatal shot or 2 in on him is an awesome feeling.

The game certainly feels more rewarding now, especially in the combat spectrum.

Definitely like what I am hearing. Seems to coincide with what is promised in their .pdf
Need to make a note to check on your videos...

Thanks!

No problem! I'll be making a new video today and I'll link it in here, because today I'm going to explore a bit and try to kill some bandits. I may hit up the nearby Embershard (?) mine and try to clear that out with a follower, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be. Should make for an interesting video, though.

No problem! I'll be making a new video today and I'll link it in here, because today I'm going to explore a bit and try to kill some bandits. I may hit up the nearby Embershard (?) mine and try to clear that out with a follower, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be. Should make for an interesting video, though.

Watched part 1-3 of requiem video. Is it really that hard?, it seems like you died in just about every fight. If it is I'm not sure it's for me I like a challenge but dying in every fight seems excessive.

. Is it really that hard?

Yes. It is very hard. Or else I just suck at the game and Requiem (which is a possibility).

I didn't die in every fight, though. Just most of them :p. You can kill wolves and mudcrabs for the most part with not a lot of trouble. Fighting packs of enemies can prove difficult, though, especially bandits which can block your attacks and counter, etc. And archers are a real pain, especially if they are perched behind the melee battle, sniping you with (often deadly in one or two shots) arrows.

I played more today and I died a LOT. However, I was still able to progress in most spots. My follower and I killed a few bandits at a camp, then cleared out Embershard Mine, which was difficult but not overly frustrating.

You have to approach each encounter carefully in order to win. Basically, your follower has to draw aggression from the enemies and allow you to slip behind them and attack. Or, you can weaken enemies with archery or kill them outright before they even get to you. However, if they get to you and it's one on one, you're probably in trouble, especially if your follower is down.

Also, it's best not to attract crowds. Try to pull enemies one by one, if possible.

Blocking is effective but most enemies are higher level and will wipe the floor with you anyway. But again, I was still able to progress, I just died a whole bunch first.

But man, once I finally overcame the enemies, it was extremely satisfying. You'll see if you watch my next few videos. Particularly, video #5 where I clear Embershard Mine (in #4 I die a lot in one spot and give up).

It makes a dungeon dive for loot an extremely tense, dangerous proposition. Yet if you stick with it, it's very rewarding.

If you don't like dying, it's probably not for you. But if you like something like say, Dark Souls, and overcoming great challenges, it might be great for you.

I'm still getting a feel for it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Video #5, showing off some combat > http://youtu.be/8xqJU07WJdw

Last edited:
Video #5, showing off some combat > http://youtu.be/8xqJU07WJdw

Nice! Its obvious that if you have spent hundreds of hours playing a game in a certain way it will take some going to adapt to a completely different gameplay…

If you haven't read the Requiem PDF its probably a good idea to do so (might be a bit too hardcore finding everything by yourself ;) ) It details i.e. that archery is lethal for lightly armored targets (so you really should exploit/be weary of it more against bandits as you are finding out) but also that low quality bows will break if you are engaged in close combat etc.

This feels like Gothic2 NOTR if anything(*), you really have to pick the fights that are up to your level and progressing player skill, and look around/explore rather than fight every battle you come upon and expect to win it and move on. I absolutely love that in a game.

The only problem I see is that you really can't tell when an encounter is too much for you until you try it a couple of times, because they have mixed some low level with high level bandits i.e but they all look the same. Much more hardcore than your average game but I like it, and am very ok with trial and error gameplay. (edit: One way they could have done it is give High level bandits obviously better gear than the rest as a red flag to players i.e.)

Keep your shield up ;) (Now that is where Dark Souls experience will count here: when to raise and when to drop it while keeping an eye on the stamina bar :D ) And thanks for the vids.

(* i.e try to not aggro them from afar with a bow as in vid #4 if you can't handle straight up combat with all of them, but only to get noticed by a single one and then draw that one away from the pack without attacking him until he is sufficiently far away from the rest… If that works then it is exactly like Gothic ;) Then again there is the problem of the follower barging in…)

P.S If I didn't really want to replay Dark Souls this Christmas vacation, I would be mightily tempted by this mod to start a Skyrim replay on the Spot…

Last edited:
Have they implemented Dragonborn into Requiem yet?

I tried it a while back, and I really liked it. But I encountered a bug early on with silver arrows (or was it a silver bow... don't remember) not affecting undeads - which meant they were nearly impossible to kill for an archer.

I'd love to play it in a fully working condition.

Not yet it seems (taken from the PDF):

Since this mod has no Dragonborn support, what can I do if I want to play the DLC anyway?
You should install the Unofficial Requiem - DragonbornM34 patch, made by azirokP21, before you visit Solstheim.

Requiem - Dragonborn by azirok
Weblink: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/38197

If you are not planning to start a replay soon it may pay to wait for proper support methinks…

This really has wetted my appetite… I really want to play this after modding and pushing the visuals even further though :-/

It looks like I may have that GTX780 as an (earlyish) easter present to myself after all ;)

(* i.e try to not aggro them from afar with a bow as in vid #4 if you can't handle straight up combat with all of them, but only to get noticed by a single one and then draw that one away from the pack without attacking him until he is sufficiently far away from the rest… If that works then it is exactly like Gothic ;) Then again there is the problem of the follower barging in…)

I'm still working out how to pull them. Your follower will barge in, but you have to keep him back a significant distance in order for it to work. If you watch the next video I upload, in Embershard Mine, I was able to do that pretty successfully at the last encounter with the 3 bandits in the large room with the bridge. I pulled the first 2 and then charged the last archer when she was all alone, and it worked well. I also pulled the first bandit from the watchtower, but the reason I couldn't clear that out wasn't due to the level of the bandits, per say, it was because the archer had such an advantage on me and saw me coming a mile away. I'm going to retry that spot by going in the back route, which is right next to the tower itself, and then quickly charge the archer when we're up close, which should work better.

I'll also read that .pdf. Thanks for the link!

Last edited:
Well this looks really attractive. From the PDF
1. All encounters are no longer leveled, the appearance of a given NPC or creature only depends on your current location and chance.
2. Some leveled lists have been altered in their general outcome to support the immersion, for example you will see more small than large mudcrabs and more wolves than bears.
3. Loot is no longer dependent on your level, but high quality items are of course much rare
2 seems to contradict 1. Are there leveled lists for encounters or not?

Also…
Most essential NPCs can now be killed by the player.
Can they be killed by monsters and other NPCs, too? If so, this may break quest designs that depend on essential NPCs being unkillable.

Finally…
Fast travel is no longer possible, use a horse or the cart driver services.
Well that's a deal killer for me. That ruins the pacing for me, when returning from a dungeon, for example… Too tedious for my blood.

EDIT: Never mind, there's an option to enable it. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom