The Alliance Alive HD Remaster - Releasing 16th January

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Alliance Alive HD Remaster will be available on Steam 16th January.

The Alliance Alive HD Remastered marks the glorious rebirth of the acclaimed RPG brought to you by FURYU Corporation. Uniting the talents of writer Yoshitaka Murayama, designer Kyouji Koizumi, art director Masayo Asano, and composer Masashi Hamauzu, this epic adventure comes to life with innovative gameplay on a backdrop of vibrant visuals and a classic tale. Players can develop their party's skills through combat-based character progression, immerse themselves in the game's lush world via dynamic vehicle-centric exploration, and form alliances with various guilds and factions. Venture further into the world to discover new vehicles to traverse in, magic to wield, places to visit, and more to experience!

STORY

Humanity has been shattered and enslaved by Daemons invading from another realm. The Dark Current, a cataclysmic event caused by the Daemons' emergence, has decimated the population and divided the land into separate regions, leaving the survivors to be subjugated by Daemonic overlords.

A thousand years have passed since that fateful event, and mankind will remain silent no longer.

To reclaim their homes and free their people, an unlikely fellowship of heroes will band together to spark a fiery revolution. They must form alliances with the remnants of the resistance throughout the world to make a united stand against the legions of Daemons. If they fail, humanity as they know it will remain forever stifled by the darkness...

KEY FEATURES

• A Vivid World: From lava-covered wastes to snowy mountains, the numerous themed realms around the world offer their own unique experiences and challenges. Navigate each diverse environment by utilizing a variety of different vehicles, including ships, rideable beasts, and flying machines.
  • Forged in Battle: The ferocity and strife of combat can draw forth your inner reserves of power. Build up determination to enter a state of Ignition, which allows you to execute devastating critical attacks. Repeated use of weapons and Ignition attacks also has the chance to "awaken" a new skill for your characters mid-battle.
  • Stand Together: You cannot challenge the Daemons alone. Form alliances with Guilds and factions to mobilize the strength of warriors and scholars all across the land to confront terrifying foes. Allying with Guilds also grants you the ability to call upon them to aid you in battle, among many useful other perks. You're going to need every last bit of help you can get.
More information.

It's alright, I played it back on the DS. The most similar game to it is the SaGa series games: lots of different characters, freedom to swap them out, starting different chapters with different parties, learning new attacks randomly through battle. I think it was actually made by some of the people behind the SaGa games. Basically, it's what they would make out of the DS platform.

If you liked the SaGa games and aren't turned off by the retro graphics of an old game there's a good chance you enjoy this.

Am playing this now having bought it for myself in the Christmas sale on Switch. The graphics look more "hand drawn" and artistic than some titles, so its low-res origins don't look out-of-place in HD.

I have enjoyed it a lot so far. I find I bounce of SE's "Saga" games (just tried Scarlet whatsit, and found it overly-punishing and a lot less fun - no towns, and limited side content). Alliance Alive is split into short chapters (30+) which each taken an hour or so, which makes it very accessible. It's a decent sized game, and seveal chapters will occur on each continent/world.

In the opening chapters, you control three different sets of characters, but each character is well introduced and distinct (cough, unlike the recent Saga). Although it grows, party size is initially two or three characters, so you get well introduced to their capabilities.

Characters don't level up, but rather gain talent points (which can be used to buy over-arching skills) after each combat. Individual abilities (aka Arts) are learned through use in combat, as are HP and SP (magic points, used to trigger Arts and Spells).

There's also a decent amount of gear, and characters can have two weapons, using whichever is best at the time (eg. a magic staff and a blade).

Story so far (chapter 15 or so) has been interesting, and the characters aren't especially annoying (thank goodness). The game isn't too wacky, although one character's main "armour" looks like a giant yellow (upgradable) rubber ducky. So, if that's going to offend your sensibilities, you have been warned! Otherwise, it is fairly straightforward tale of a three-tier society, each oppressing the tier beneath, with humans at the bottom of the food chain.

The continents/worlds are cut off from each other by barriers, and so you'll be breaking those down, re-uniting people and fighting injustice. Typical (J)RPG fare, but no amnesiac teenagers.

Finally, you can *SAVE ANYWHERE* (repeatably re-loadable quick-save) which is a huge breath of fresh air. Coupled with the chapter-based approach and clear explanation of what your goals are, it makes it super-accessible and easy to fit in around daily life. One of my best purchases this Christmas, I reckon.

Combat looks well designed, nicely dynamic and the GUI is amazing on this one!

I've heard good things about the Saga games, so I might give this one a try at some point. At the very least, I'll keep an eye out for what folks here might think about it.

Back
Top Bottom