PCIe 6.0 announced. No joke.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I was like O_O.

Anyway, in case you're not following technology improvements in PC architecture, AMD made sure PCIe 4.0 is supported by Ryzen (not all though). Intel as an answer instantly leaked (and pretends it wasn't them) that their plan is to add PCIe 5.0 support two years from now. And now… 6.0? WTF.
Of course it won't materialize tomorrow, but it's still crazy news considering how slow are nonPC architectures when it comes to hardware relevance against obsolescence.

English speaking with friends over a beer: any future PCIe hardware (GPUs, SSDs) could and should be so fast to be considered a stuff from most optimistic scifi novels.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/pcie-6-specification-bandwidth-256-gb
The unending cycle of PCI Express standards continues, with work beginning on PCIe 6.0 as we speak. The sixth iteration of the interface will offer up to 64 GT/s bandwidth from a 16x link, and the specification will be finalised by 2021 – although we won’t see product on the shelves until much later.

Each standard doubles the capability of the last, with PCIe 5.0 set for 32GT/s and PCIe 6.0 just announced with transfer speeds of up to 64GT/s. Unlike USB’s governing body, USB-IF, PCI-SIG sticks to its naming conventions, which makes all of this relatively straightforward… for the most part. “Actual” bandwidth, as rated by PCI-SIG, is 128GB/s for PCIe 5.0 and 256GB/s for PCIe 6.0.

No, Blizzard doesn't plan to show Diablo 4 and say "don't you all have PCIe 4.0".

Only the specification Joxer. Come back when we can buy it

This just in, cpu’s and gpu’s Will be faster as well post 2021. WTF…:p

You do realize that without specification there would be no gadgets to plug in?

Note that I'm not advertising nonexisting PS5 with promised placebo resolutions and nothing else, but sharing announcement of an actual useful technology improvement that wasn't expected this early.

You do realize that without specification there would be no gadgets to plug in?

Note that I'm not advertising nonexisting PS5 with promised placebo resolutions and nothing else, but sharing announcement of an actual useful technology improvement that wasn't expected this early.

Of course I do.

Thing is, that even a 2080ti can’t saturate pcie 3.0 x16. You'd need to go sli for that. Which is limited by the lack of available pcie lanes on most mainstream procs.

So pcie 4.0 will be plenty for several years then pcie 5.0 for years after that. It will probably be 10+ years before 6.0 is even needed. Who knows if we’ll even have Pcie by then, it may be some new tech.

I’d be more excited for more pcie lanes than faster ones.

Oh, and i know you hate consoles but PS5 will be a thing long before we see working pcie 6.0. Probably have a ps 6 or 7 by then.

I wouldn't be surprise if some of this is related to intel server offering and their new high speed hybrid memory/ssd. In the server model cramming in a bunch of disks (even ssd) is the common model to reduce rack space.

Anyway, in case you're not following technology improvements in PC architecture, AMD made sure PCIe 4.0 is supported by Ryzen (not all though). Intel as an answer instantly leaked (and pretends it wasn't them) that their plan is to add PCIe 5.0 support two years from now. And now… 6.0? WTF.

Like 2 old, grumpy men bickering about each other, so to say. ;)

Or, the other possibility, like a bantering old couple. ;)

Back
Top Bottom