Obsidian Entertainment - Josh Sawyer Taking a Break

So you believe Larian bought or got temporary through a contract rights to make another Ultima game?

If yes, I say no. EA would bless such thing only if it's another Ultima Online and for all I know, Larian doesn't care about MMOs.

And also… Don't forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aRYe5ixXLk

I'm hoping EA have sold them the IP outright. They did allow InXile to re-release the original Bards Tale and Wasteland with no strings attached.

While we are speculating let me throw this in. I think Larian are making an Ultima.

Why did you have to write this. Now I hope. I hope not in vein.

I'm hoping EA have sold them the IP outright. They did allow InXile to re-release the original Bards Tale and Wasteland with no strings attached.

Doubtful. Ultima Online is still live and the opposite of kicking?

Also, no big surprises Deadfire is not selling well. PoE was riding a much bigger hype/nostalgia train, not to mention it was entirely "new" at the time. However the sequel turned out, it lost both of those things. Not to mention a lot of people have been turned off the first game. Also, people nowadays are way more savvy and trained to wait for discounts and complete editions, with the amount of games available.

Even if we skip the usual metrics, I remember PoE had more posting aboit it here on the Watch, and now barely a handful of people mention they have/are playing Deadfire.

While we are speculating let me throw this in. I think Larian are making an Ultima. Mike Laidlaw has been hanging out with Swen Vincke. Mike used to work for EA/Bioware who owns the Ultima IP. He would know the people to talk to. Swen is a big fan of Ultima. Lots of writers have been recruited to work on an RPG and they are saying its a property they want to write for. It could be D&D but I think it is Ultima. Plus Mike has been throwing out Ultima references on Twitter lately.

I have no evidence for this but…Larian have been very successful with an Ultima like IP in D:OS. Who better when EA needs to resurrect its reputation alot.
Don't really care as current Larian games don't interest me anymore.

So here's my speculation. Larian will grow to large, get to ambitious, and in the end will have money problems once again. It's the same problem this developer always faces.

Just read and watch the various blog posts, and panel videos for evidence.

Even if we skip the usual metrics, I remember PoE had more posting aboit it here on the Watch, and now barely a handful of people mention they have/are playing Deadfire.

Everybody is waiting for the complete and overhauled edition. That is what they get for announcing DLCs before the game was even released. I wanted to play it, but then I remember that the game will be considerably better in 2019, so I just decided to wait more.

Everybody is waiting for the complete and overhauled edition. That is what they get for announcing DLCs before the game was even released. I wanted to play it, but then I remember that the game will be considerably better in 2019, so I just decided to wait more.

Yep I've backed them on fig. Got the game in steam backlog as well as season pass. I didn't play it yet since I have already a lot of games on my plate and I'll be waiting for all dlcs.

Also about it selling poorly on release... What did you expect we have much more RPGs now than we did when PoE1 launched. After all PoE1, Wasteland 2 and to some extent DoS1 was engine behind the revival of somewhat 'dead' genre.

People simply can't keep up with the games. Heck I'm still playing DoS2 and it was release last year :/

Can't remember any moment he listened to what I said…

But Joxer, nobody listens to you. :).

Except I, of course.

pibbur who (once again) is actually talking BS.

EDIT: Remembered that "Talking" is usually written without an initial 's'.

Last edited:
While we are speculating let me throw this in. I think Larian are making an Ultima….

Now you've said it (you evil thing!!!), I'm both hoping and not hoping it's true. I would certainly like to see a new Ultima, but I fear that after all these years, it would not be an Ultima.

pibbur who will (as usual) wait and see before commenting (disregard what I just wrote, please)

Last edited:
No strings? Why do you think Wasteland 3 went MMO? :D

What they do is bash everything for shits and giggles, and then buy it anyway.

Not true. Codexians, on the average, know a helluva lot more about the wide range of RPGs / cRPGs than the population on this site, with the exception of a few users. Sound harsh ? Well, it is true. You may not like them (I am one of them), but their knowledge is second to none.

Not true. Codexians, on the average, know a helluva lot more about the wide range of RPGs / cRPGs than the population on this site, with the exception of a few users. Sound harsh ? Well, it is true. You may not like them (I am one of them), but their knowledge is second to none.

Codex has a lot of good stuff on it. If it didn't have quite so many tossers, I'd read it more often. But, if you don't think they spend a great deal of time bashing and taking the piss for fun, while still buying the games and voting them games of the year, it's you that doesn't know them very well.

Sadly all that possible knowledge (pic or didn't happen) is burried under trolling of amateur level junkyard. Which kinda makes possessing any kind of knowledge there, that includes naming all varieties of cucumbers on sudden wake up - pointless.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if PoE2 is doing worse than the first; PoE 1 fully embraced the nostalgia/hype train and you can't really do that for a sequel.

I think @GabrielMP_19; has a good point - they may have sabotaged themselves somewhat by training us to wait for the actually complete game.

I remember @Fluent; was very excited about the first game, and then most displeased when his strategy guide was rendered redundant by the significant changes.

Only if it's old enough, or follows a formula that's old enough.

Boy oh boy, if the Larian team did get their hands on this project, and made a new game out of it similar to their products from ten years ago, that would simply be the best news, ever. I could totally let that whole Shroud fiasco fade from my memory!

Its two player co-op so not really but I know you are not being serious.
Iirc in Joxer's world it's an MMO as soon as the game is not hosted privately...

Back
Top Bottom