JA: Back in Action - Patch 1.11 Released

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
bitComposer released the first of two massive patches for Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. It fixes many minor annoyances, the kind of stuff which costs a few seconds here and there without adding to the fun, and tweaks a lot game elements. The hinted new features are now official for the other big patch:
The latest update has been dispatched to Steam and hopefully it will be implemented shortly.

Attached you find the changelog.
[...] I’m going to hint at the next update with these bullet points:

visibility of enemies
sector inventory
militia

################################################
Changelog (final):

V1.11
- Added translations for new features added in 1.10
- Further improvements to targeting enemy body zones with the cursor
- Fixed bug where wounds would result in mercs not being able to recover stamina anymore
- Fixed some recruitable characters not displaying legs when their pants were removed
- Grenade launcher now launches grenades instead of shooting them in a direct path
- 40mm grenades added to be used by Grenade Launcher
- Color of line drawn to target now indicates ideal distance for shooting target (green = ideal)
- Changed melee base damage to prevent some melee focused mercs from one hitting enemies of level 3 and above
- Fixed bug where tanks could not be hit with rockets fired from rocket launcher
- Fixed unreachable enemy spawn position on map Overland11
- Open or closed state for all doors in Drassen Airport are saved now
- Fixed explosive spot in Alma prison on which wall was not correctly removed on both sided

V 1.10

General Bugfixes
- Fixed some enemy using wrong combination of pants and shoe meshes
- Fixed Sightcones not being cleared properly when leaving a level
- Fixed Sightcones displayed in wrong direction when moving in command mode
- Shader bug fixed that caused incorrectly colored objects
- Fixed bug where tank had impact on performance
- Fixed smoke grenade (blocking sight and its visual effect duration were slightly different)
- Fixed bug where recruitable PCs like Ira became not recruitable after leaving the map
- Fixed bug where AI coud become unalterted again after saving & loading

Modding
- Added additional Weapon and Ammo IDs
- Sight distances made more easy to modify
- Noise made more easy to modify

Achievements
- Fixed bug where "She's dead, Enrico" achievement would not unlock correctly
- Collect achievements are not anymore received when game has been modified

Visuals and Graphics Options added
- Launcher does not anymore check for vertex shader texture fetch, prohibiting older cards to start the game although they feature SM 3.0
- Added Distance based culling for small objects
- Added "Very High" terrain quality option in ingame menu
- Added View Distance as option in ingame menu (determines distance fog position)

Gameplay Fixes and Changes
- Civilians and potential militia recruits do not trigger mines anymore
- Children will try to maintain a minimum distance from player characters to ensure they do not clog doors or passages when following the player around the map
- Noise perception influenced by objects that cover the origin of the sound
- Enemy perception tweaked, enemies can now see and hear slightly better which will make it more likely that they use their weapon range to full extend (e.g. enemies with rifles will open fire from a greater distance)
- Enemy sight cones in 2D displays in addition to 3D Cone to make more clear what an enemy can see and to make lag of 3d cone calculation on slower machines more bearable
- Durability of clothing or items worn is only reduced when they actually prevented damage
- Armor is reduced only by 10% for each time it can fully prevent its protection value (e.g. if armor can potentially prevent 30 damage and only prevents 15 damage since it is hit in an already existing weak spot its durability is only reduced by 5%)
- Stamina is not reduced anymore when the whole map belongs to the player (all enemies are killed)
- Bobby Ray‘s Inventory only restocks after 3 days
- Bobby Ray’s express delivery now takes 24 hours, standard delivery takes 48 hours
- Laserpointer attachments reduce time to aim
- When a merc is hit while aiming the time to aim is reduced in relation to the damage received
- Targeting has several points of origin to become more flexible, further reduced chance of a small objects preventing a shot
- Picking improved, should be easier to select body zones when targeting
- Militia is always on the map even if the map still belongs to the enemy and can be recruited directly after libe...More information.

Has anyone played back in action? If so any comments if the patched game is significantly better than the original release (i.e, has the game evolved into something worth looking at for someone who has never played the series ?)

Has anyone played back in action? If so any comments if the patched game is significantly better than the original release (i.e, has the game evolved into something worth looking at for someone who has never played the series ?)

I would try the demo and see what you think.

I've dabbled with the previous games in the series but never really got anywhere with them.

I bought the game recently and started playing it, and I think it's fine so far. It's difficult, or maybe I'm just a tactical dumbass, but I like it.

The game doesn't have to evolve into something worth looking at. It was it since release. ;) I've played for 75 hours so far, and at least the first 60 were very enjoyable. Then I've had enough of the micromanagement and decided to wait for the first big patch.

The patch should remove ca. half of the little annoying details. So yes, it's a big step forward, under the assumption that it works correctly, because the core - the Plan & Go combat - works fine.

The negative reviews are totally wrong. JA:BiA is not a bad game. Not even close. I can understand if somebody says that it's a bit too simple now because it's almost purely tactics now. But the tactics part is fun and the game works.

It's an advantage if you haven't played the series yet. 90% of the complaining is from people who played JA 2 and criticize every change. The new game has been simplified, probably too much. Now it's a good squad tactics game with some RPG elements. Certainly no masterpiece, but really quite decent.

Last edited:
The inventory management makes it unplayable for me. It is FAR too difficult to change and swap out gear between mercs.

At least it looks like this will be addressed in the next patch. If so I will gladly play it. It is a fun game but for me JA2 is far superior with patch/mod 1.13.

Yes, the inventory management is the biggest problem. I'm using the workaround with the bags on the ground, but of course that's no replacement for a good inventory.

what [B Gorath[/B] says is true. They game is quite good. It all depends if your able to let go of the "past".

Good but not great, but after big patch2 the game will be most likely great.

The game doesn't have to evolve into something worth looking at. It was it since release. ;) I've played for 75 hours so far, and at least the first 60 were very enjoyable. Then I've had enough of the micromanagement and decided to wait for the first big patch.

The patch should remove ca. half of the little annoying details. So yes, it's a big step forward, under the assumption that it works correctly, because the core - the Plan & Go combat - works fine.

The negative reviews are totally wrong. JA:BiA is not a bad game. Not even close. I can understand if somebody says that it's a bit too simple now because it's almost purely tactics now. But the tactics part is fun and the game works.

It's an advantage if you haven't played the series yet. 90% of the complaining is from people who played JA 2 and criticize every change. The new game has been simplified, probably too much. Now it's a good squad tactics game with some RPG elements. Certainly no masterpiece, but really quite decent.

JA2 is and probably always will be my favorite game ever. Those of us who are upset are so because they took what was fun and unique about the series, changed it all up, and tried to sell it as a Jagged Alliance revision instead of just selling it under a new name. I'm sure the game would be somewhat entertaining and/or appealing to some folks. But to associate it with such a beloved franchise in an effort to get that rabid fanbase to buy it, really is just a kick to the nuts.

Back
Top Bottom