Bioshock - Screenshot Scenario Contest

Dhruin

SasqWatch
2K Games' The Cult of Rapture site for Bioshock has an interesting idea today. Kicking off a series is the first Screenshot Scenario contest, with new several screens illustrating a situation in-game and a handful of different solutions. Contestants can write in with different solution ideas to win a Bioshock tee-shirt (and the rest of us can can just check out the screens and situations). Here's part of this week's scenario:
While in the Kashmir Restaurant, you encounter an enemy wielding a pipe. As he comes to attack, you shoot him, but only hit him in the leg.
Wounded, but not fatally, he comes to attack you. You only have one bullet left in your pistol, but, as you can see from the first screen, you have the Electro Bolt plasmid (which is why the veins in your hand are glowing blue.) How do you stop this guy before he bludgeons you to smithereens?
If you are a good shot, you can blow him to bits with a headshot using your one remaining bullet. This is effective, and probably the fastest possible option, but dicey, as you never know if you may need that last bullet for another enemy waiting around the bend. And you can’t count on finding more in a timely fashion.
More information.

This is probably a dumb question, but i'm just wondering does Bioshock have character development or some other aspect that makes it an RPG?

Based on the trailers I watched, it looked to be an FPS with puzzle elements.

Or maybe I missed some media of the RPG aspect somehow (like a screenshot of the character attributes) :)

From 1up website:

BioShock (Xbox 360)
Also On: PC
- -
ESRB Rating: Rating Pending
Genre: Shooter
Publisher: 2K Games
Developer: Irrational Games

:)

According to various other sources, there is supposed to be some character development à la System Shock 2.

I find this contest a very positive effort, if they use the players' suggestions to improve quests i.e. add ways to complete them. But the first example about hacking a bot in the same time it takes to shoot a bullet in combat sounds a bit far-fetched.

The screenies are rather impressive and convey a great atmosphere. This is the number 1 game on my watchlist for this year, and I just can't wait to get my paws on it!

This is probably a dumb question, but i'm just wondering does Bioshock have character development or some other aspect that makes it an RPG?

Based on the trailers I watched, it looked to be an FPS with puzzle elements.

Or maybe I missed some media of the RPG aspect somehow (like a screenshot of the character attributes) :)

It has "plasmid" upgrades - rather like System Shock 2's nano upgrades. Levine has been clear it isn't an RPG but we cover it because the SS2 "connection" is interesting to our readers and I think we should cover these FPS genre crossovers.

Besides, I like Irrational. ;)

:)

Well, I have no problems. I was just curious and didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, if i did.

I'm looking forward to the game as well.

Yes, it looks amazing and like a very unique gaming atmosphere to sink our fangs into. :cool:

The Fear, Overwhelming Odds, Isolation, Weakness of the PC (at the start anyway) and the RPG elements will hopefully make for a delicacy for many ravenously starved gamers, like me. :Grrrrrrr: :p

From what little we have been told and what I think I see, BioShock will be more of an RPG than SS2 in some very important ways.
It seems KLevine and Team have recognized the biggest flaw in SS2 the lack of choice in story direction, which is a must for an RPG, at least imo.

The Point View to me has very little to do with whether something qualifies as an RPG, even if Fallout would have been in 3rd or 1st person views I still would have though it was a great RPG.

I watched one of the videos yesterday morning, and allmost lost my breakfast :-/ What an icredibly gory game. None of the screenshots had prepared me for that amount of gore either... I don't think I'll be able to play this one, i shall have to pass.

I watched one of the videos yesterday morning, and allmost lost my breakfast :-/ What an icredibly gory game.

... goes to watch trailers on that recommendation alone ...

:D

Looks great - I'm always up for a nice brutal shooter, especially if it takes me someplace new :)

Hehe, hubbie has no problems with that sort of stuff either... I am more of the squeemish sort. If I can turn off a gore-option, I will. ;)

Hehe ... when our boys were a few years old and I got more hardcore back into gaming my wife bought me 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein', then tried to 'be involved' by watching ... hasn't made *that* mistake again ;)

we cover it because the SS2 "connection" is interesting to our readers and I think we should cover these FPS genre crossovers.

Yep, because otherwise it looks like you don't have much to cover this year.

I'd rather want to see this site bustling with activity than dying because there won't be any *real, good, old-fashioned but rocking* RPG's this year.

Don't worry MasterLich they find great indie games here and even if no good RPG comes out in 2007, we can still bitch about "that game" for at least another year. ;)

Back
Top Bottom