Witcher 3 - Insider on the Graphics Downgrade

Looking good - mainly just fiddling with settings so far. BTW setting Ambient occlusion to HBAO+ makes a huge difference. Also benefits from increased sharpness I reckon. I have a monitor setting for that, but the nVidia tweaking guide has another way to do that.

Would have been nice if they hadn't hooked the keyboard at low level and hard coded some of the key bindings. Reckon they don't have any lefties at CDPR :(.

And… I'm getting about 45fps at ultra (with full hair works) on a medium/high end system: nvidia 970, i73770 just slighltly over clocked to 4.2ghz @1080p.

I must be blind to the effect of Ambient Occlusion then, because I see basically zero difference between it being on or off.

You can see it more when there are multiple small objects causing shadowing (like under small plants, dark corners, etc). It's subtle and not worth a large decrease in FPS, I think.

You're right, it is indeed subtle. I can see it now though after taking some screenshots and comparing them. I don't notice it when the scene is in motion though.

Attachments

• No AO.jpg
    No AO.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 68
  • With HBAO.jpg
    With HBAO.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 63
It's not subtle when you know where too look for the effect and how it makes objects looks less detached from the world, e.g for things laying on a table the effect is very prominent.. haven't compared it much in this game but in for example Morrowind (MGE) the effect was extremely nice looking, especially for objects like swords and gems laying on a table.. it's probably more suited for first person view though.

Even in your images the effect is quite strong, you can see how the 3D objects blends in much more natural.

If you are not seeing much of difference, try upping the contrast and make sure your gamma is neutral - not too much saturation. I tend to prefer quite sharp images, but you can get a disjointed effect and AO just makes it look more natural.

I still consider it a very minor effect, unlike trees and bushes always thrashing about as if in a windstorm, or plants and objects clipping through each other.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to look like there's a windstorm ;) Has anyone played enough to see if there are days that are not windy? I'm still in the tutorial area.. i like weather effects, but if it's always going to look stormy then it's a bit of a let down..

All the videos have the foliage thrashing about. It's constant from what I can tell, and annoying (to me at least).

Yeah, it is way over the top...must be pretty windy in witcher world....plus they all blow at the same angle....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...he-witcher-3-graphics-downgrade-issue-head-on

"Before I get into the nitty-gritty, know that a big patch with 600 changes - including improvements to graphics and graphical settings - was sent to certification today (Wednesday 20th May), and will take between five and seven days to clear. There will be patch notes covering it all."

Good, then i'll wait a few days before i play again.

"It's very important to stress: we are continuously working on the PC version, and we will be adding a lot of stuff, and there is more to come. We've proven it in the past that we support our games and we will be looking at the feedback and trying to make it better."

Sounds good.

"he billowing smoke and roaring fire from the trailer? "It's a global system and it will kill PC because transparencies - without DirectX 12 it does't work good in every game." So he killed it for the greater good, and he focused on making sure the 5000 doors in Novigrad worked instead."

5000 doors? From what i've heard most of the doors there are locked (another forum). Anyone here been there yet?

A patch making the graphics even better sounds great, but no way would I stop playing just to wait for that. This game has its claws in me deep.

I have to admit they should tone down the windy waving trees and stuff. Come on, couldn't they have at least varied it a bit? You guys are right, it should not be moving all the time, unless the Witcher world has the same wind speed constantly, and is always windy 24/7.

It would be much better if they had some days where it was still, no wind, some times and days when the wind is blowing just a little, with slight movement, and then some times and days that it is very windy. But not windy all the damn time! lol.

Anyway, good to hear a patch is on the way. And more patches after that to improve and tweak the game too.

So far, TW3 is amazingly bug-free for a game this size. I'm sure plenty of bugs exist, but I've yet to encounter any myself.

I have to admit they should tone down the windy waving trees and stuff. Come on, couldn't they have at least varied it a bit?

It is varied. The wind blows harder during stormy weather for instance. I agree that it could use a few more levels of animation though.

Ok, didn't know the wind blows harder during storms. But still, it would be nice to have some days where it was calm all day. I think the reason they have the wind blowing all the time is they think it adds to the liveliness of the world, with constant motion in the background, as well as the wind sound effect playing constantly, but it would feel more realistic to have there be no wind sometimes too.

Back
Top Bottom